Why become a member? ×

Sterling By Musicman Ray 34 CA

clauster

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408269377' post='2528414']
The one in the pick is not a CA, I can see the arm contour and the 4 knobs? Or am I missing something?
[/quote]

I was going to say that as well. The CA is adversitied as having 2 band EQ, where this clearly has 3 like the original model.
There were a few special runs for certain American chains I believe, but as far as I've read it was only colour combinations that were unique.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1408273007' post='2528451']

You could get a Stingray SLO special (regular US Stingray with narrow neck like the Sterling). Even rarer though!
[/quote]

That's the problem i had. Both these are Sterlings are quite rare on the secondhand market, especially if you want a certain colour.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1408273007' post='2528451']

You could get a Stingray SLO special (regular US Stingray with narrow neck like the Sterling). Even rarer though!
[/quote]
I think people get used to a wide nut or a narrow to start with then hanker after it on every bass, I either like a bass or I dont, some are wide and some are narrow, some are thick and some are thin.

I was able to compare the USA EB Stingray 5 and Indonesian Ray35 (identical to my own), back to to back in GuitarGuitar on St Johns road in Edinburgh last week.

They both felt very similar and I couldn't spot any difference in build quality or set up. That maybe isn't that surprising as the Indonesian Ray35 has an orange sticker on it, which reads something like "assembled and set up in Orange County California USA".

The basses felt roughly the same weight, if anything the Indonesian one felt the more substantial and neither felt heavy.
They both sounded great. I would say that on first listen with the EQ flat I preferred the USA one, as it sounded a touch more aggressive. After swapping back and forward several times and trying different EQ settings I concluded that in practise there was no real difference.

The big difference was price as the EB/USA was £1700+ and the Ray35 was £825

I marginally preferred the USA one but I think that was down to the tiny differences that you get between two similar basses rather than any quality of sonic reasons so I guess that and the name badge would also be the only reason for me to pick the US one.

If anyone is up in Edinburgh check them out and let me know if you agree.
They also have 4 stringers. The differences between them may be more substantial

Edited by Pinball

I know we have had this discussion few times but I still think the SBMM Ray's stand up in their own right.
I believe (could be wrong though) that they still come out of the same Cort factory that many other brands, including Lakland Skylines come from.
The price does seem to have crept up since I got mine a few years ago, but they are still cheaper than the Skylines, and this is with active EQ on all models.
I've also read over the years that not all SR's are built equally, and some complaints have been pretty bad, mainly about the necks.

Saying all that, I feel it's time I sampled the real thing. I've seen a nice CAR/maple one in guitar guitar. Just need to find the cash.

Just coming from the Cort factory means nothing either as they make a whole range of stuff from firewood upwards, they are a terrible company to work for too according to some of the stories so if you are the sort of person that is concerned about the factory staffs well being cort stuff is not for you!

http://cortaction.wordpress.com/workers-stories/

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408297422' post='2528762']
Even as a die hard ebmm fan I would have to say the Lakland Skylines are more of a match to a usa ray than you are giving them credit for, the proper Laklands being a step up from a proper ebmm imo.
[/quote]

I'm not doubting the skylines. I'm just saying that they cost more than the SBMM yet seem to come out oft he same factory.
I realise this doesn't mean they are made the same way, but even so, they Coe out of a factory that has a good reputation for craftsmanship (if nothing else).

My natural/maple fingerboard Ray 34 had the worst fret-sprout of any bass I have owned. After some file work it is OK now and it is my favourite. It makes my Jaguars seem tame! My question is this: The Ray 34 CA is supposed to have a "reworked pickup for more organic tone" and an improved 2-band EQ, Does this mean "more mellow (less upper mids and treble) than a regular Ray 34 "? A 2-band EQ ought to be cheaper to make. Also a body with no forearm contours is cheaper to make. This model costs the same as a Ray 34. Shouldn't it be a lower price? Maybe I want one- my Ray34 is cool for now.

• 11 months later...

I recently got another natural Ray 34 and there is nice clean fretwork. I still have some confusion about the Ray 34CA and the US Sterling. Besides the Jazz-width nut, don't they have smaller frets, a different pickup, different preamp , and the US Sterling has a 3-position switch for : humbucker, single coil, and single coil with "filter" ? Why doesn't the regular US Stingray and Sterling Ray 34 (and Sterling 34CA ) have this switch ? It would give two more sounds.

Edited by grenadilla

The EBMM Sterling has parallel, single coil and series switching. The single coil mode is hum free by using a third "dummy" coil. Don't think that the parallel and series modes offer two vastly different sounds, it doesn't. Both sounds are signature MusicMan sounds, differences are small IMO.

Edited by Treb

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1438466338' post='2834774']
The EBMM Sterling has parallel, single coil and series switching. The single coil mode is hum free by using a third "dummy" coil. Don't think that the parallel and series modes offer two vastly different sounds, it doesn't. Both sounds are signature MusicMan sounds, differences are small IMO.
[/quote]

I have a USA Sterling and that switch gives 3 completely different sounds. Bridge position is getting near a Stingray if you cut the mids, central is a bit more Fendery and neck position is much fatter and warmer.

Edited by Mudpup