Why become a member? ×

Sterling By Musicman Ray 34 CA

clauster

I went out at the weekend to try a few basses. On the list of ones to try were the Yamaha BB1024, BB424, Squire CV Precision, Fender Mex Standard Precision and the G&L Tribute SB-2.

Tried all the above apart from the SB-2.

One I hadn't shortlisted was the one in the title. The Sterling Ray 34 CA. The one with the skinny neck and no body contouring. What a neck! Incredibly playable and comfortable. I can't stop thinking about that bass. But it's a bit over budget. It also doesn't have a P pickup (which was top of my list of requirements) and it's active eq is on my list of no-nos. Still want it though.

I'm having real trouble finding an SB-2 to try, which (on paper) looks like it might have as nice a neck.

Please tell me these Sterlings are awful basses and I shouldn't consider buying one.

I had one in sunburst that I bought as I was playing in an acdc tribute band at the time.Good build quality, nice finish and sounded like a Stingray. The thing is though, if you are buying it brand new, you can get a s/h US Stingray for a few quid more.

I had the Sterling by Musicman Ray34 and it was a cracking bass. Also had a "real" Stingray at the same time, and aside from the worn neck on the "real" one, couldn`t tell them apart in playability, sound, or build quality.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1374789008' post='2153374']
I had one in sunburst that I bought as I was playing in an acdc tribute band at the time.Good build quality, nice finish and sounded like a Stingray. The thing is though, if you are buying it brand new, you can get a s/h US Stingray for a few quid more.
[/quote]

I would but the Ray34ca has a really skinny neck. Much skinnier than a current US Stingray.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1374780594' post='2153222'] I love the SB-2 it's pickups are ridiculous. For me the skinny neck isn't a good thing though. I like a baseball bat. [/quote]

I've got small-ish hands so too chunky a neck isn't good for me. If I went for the squier/fender then I'd be adding a bit on for a Mighty Mite Jazz neck.

I still want to try an SB-2 as it sounds like it could be my ideal bass.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1374784126' post='2153277'] Embrace the active electronics :) [/quote]

Until I got my Epi TB-Pro last year I was a bit anti-active. Now I do see the benefit. I still get scared about batteries failing mid gig though (even if they're brand new).

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1374780506' post='2153218'] THe SB-2's do have beautiful necks, for sure.[/quote]

That's good to hear. Love the styling and the sound of them too. I really must try and find one to play before deciding.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1374832070' post='2153708']
What did you think of the BBs?
[/quote]

The 1024 has a nicer bridge and string retainer and MAY have have a had better build quality and a nicer tone (not sure I'd tell them apart blindfolded though). The 424 sounded fine and still had that Yamaha build quality you get with all their budget gear (feels mass produced, but played beautifully an you know it won't fall apart). P-bass tone++ on both. The BBs are at heart rock basses (and very good ones at that) but can do a lot more besides.

Neither were as heavy as I'd been expecting and the design balances very well, so the weight that is there doesn't pull on your shoulder.

The fret board isn't p-bass wide or jazz neck thin. The neck profile is very chunky. VERY chunky indeed. Anyone who thinks Warwick necks of 10 years ago were baseball bats would think one of these is a tree-trunk. I found it very comfortable for "grip the neck, thumb over the top of the neck" style playing, but a bit deep for "thumb on the back of the neck, light touch, fingers flying playing". Nothing I probably couldn't learn to adjust to and, for me, more comfortable than the Precisions. Surprisingly chunky though (have I mentioned that?).

Out of the two, the 424 is astonishing value, 1024 is higher quality.

good basses considering the price of those sbmm rays. if you want/need stingray tone it's a good way to get very close.

as for active, there is zero reason to avoid active. I tend to avoid passive because I hate the lack of control of passives. this is from a guy who played passive for the first 7 years exclusively (precision). I LOVE actives. I miss the tone and control with passives.

I change all of my batteries about every 6 months just in case. I've never had one die in a gig either live or recording for pay.

No worries at all with active basses.

They're much easier to record too due to having an output impedance and buffer that lets you plug directly into the board and it sounds awesome without needing a DI.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1374775605' post='2153150']
I went out at the weekend to try a few basses. On the list of ones to try were the Yamaha BB1024, BB424, Squire CV Precision, Fender Mex Standard Precision and the G&L Tribute SB-2.

Tried all the above apart from the SB-2.

One I hadn't shortlisted was the one in the title. The Sterling Ray 34 CA. The one with the skinny neck and no body contouring. What a neck! Incredibly playable and comfortable. I can't stop thinking about that bass. But it's a bit over budget. It also doesn't have a P pickup (which was top of my list of requirements) and it's active eq is on my list of no-nos. Still want it though.

I'm having real trouble finding an SB-2 to try, which (on paper) looks like it might have as nice a neck.

Please tell me these Sterlings are awful basses and I shouldn't consider buying one.
[/quote]a mate of mine is selling his honey blonde Ray 34 , immaculate and cheap i believe.

[quote name='donkelley' timestamp='1374867118' post='2154343']
good basses considering the price of those sbmm rays. if you want/need stingray tone it's a good way to get very close.

as for active, there is zero reason to avoid active. I tend to avoid passive because I hate the lack of control of passives. this is from a guy who played passive for the first 7 years exclusively (precision). I LOVE actives. I miss the tone and control with passives.

I change all of my batteries about every 6 months just in case. I've never had one die in a gig either live or recording for pay.

No worries at all with active basses.

They're much easier to record too due to having an output impedance and buffer that lets you plug directly into the board and it sounds awesome without needing a DI.
[/quote]

All good points. I personally still (generally) prefer passive basses though. Have started looking for secondhand USA Sterlings too.

[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1374941017' post='2155049']
The 'ca' stands for 'classic active', so it's the 2 band ones rather than 3 band. :-)
[/quote]

And much skinnier neck too.

The standard Ray 34 did nothing for me that Precisions didn't do.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1374931338' post='2154894']

All good points. I personally still (generally) prefer passive basses though. Have started looking for secondhand USA Sterlings too.
[/quote]

Wise choice,I think my usa sterling is me sorted for good now,I have basses come and go but nothing even comes close,the neck is perfect and the EQ is everything I could need,the slap tone, with the pickup selector towards bridge,is to die for!
don't come up for sale too often though,probably a good sign,or maybe just because everyone buys a stingray
Si

• 1 year later...