Why become a member? ×

New Ashdown ABM Neo Cabs

D.I. Joe

• 2 months later...

I use two of the abm neo 4x8 cabs, standing upright as opposed to lying on there side, so I always get perfect clarity in my ear as they stand pretty tall. I drive these with the Epifani ps600 head, which is just perfect for the cabs. I use either a Mike Lull 5 string or a Wood and Tronics EJ 4...both pretty modern sounding guitars. The overall effect is fantastic...With the 8 small speakers individually not having to do a lot, but collectively moving masses of air, and an instant snap back, a crystal clear amp which is tailor made for this type of cab, and good quality guitars, I have reached ...after 30 years, and thousands spent...My ideal rig. The Ashdown ABM neo range are not cheap, but compared to other gear I have either owned or tried out....including Bareface.... they are at the top of the heap. If one day I come into a small fortune, I might be tempted to start looking around again, but I am totally chuffed with what I have got at the moment..... In summary, the 4x8 neo cabs ( rated at 1000 watts each) are capable of any thing from super fat, warm bottom end stuff, to bright and sparklie funky stuff. The trick is to find an amp that will get the best out of these speakers, get a bass that will work well with the amp, and then match the whole lot to the style of music you play. ......Nice one Ashdown.....

Edited by jonnythenotes

Hi kevin. It's a real tightrope we as bass players have to walk. Getting the balance between sounding good on stage, without being to loud, and driving everyone else up in volume, and carryIng that sound to the audience is probably our greatest challenge. In small to medium venues I always try and keep out of the PA, as I think unless you have a good quality pa, and a dedicated sound man who knows his stuff, you can do more harm than good to the sound. By this I mean trying to adjust the sound on stage as the room changes acoustically as people come and go etc is impossible for someone on stage, and standing behind the pa. Relying on a few mates in the audience shouting ' more volume' or 'too much bass' is about as insane a method of mixing a band as you can come up with. I recently went wireless, using a Stage clix system, and this is one of the best investments I ever made. Nothing to do with playing better, but purely to allow me to go anywhere in the venue, and check out how I am mixing in with the rest of the band. Once I know that my sound is right for the band and venue....(whether I am in the PA or not,) gives me a confidence as the gig progresses that is vital to putting across a good show. After years of humping massively heavy 4x10 and 15 inch cabs around....(remember Peavey and Trace gear from the80's..) I now really do believe small speakers are the answer, as long as you have got plenty of them...a little bit of work for each individual speaker, but add them together....bingo. I know I am going on a bit, but so many bass players, and people trying to give bass players advice do not understand the difference between volume, and bass. I have heard so many people say ' your to loud' but what they really mean is there is too much bass, or bottom end making up the volume. At the end of the day, at sound check, I don't let the drummer or guitarist walk all over me. I insist on getting it right, instead of the usual 2 mins the bass player usually gets, I will take as long as required to get it spot on. Without doubt, the most overlooked, but important part of a good gig to a bass player is getting it right at the sound check. all of the best gear in the world is rendered useless if its not set right, yet mid range gear can sound fantastic if a bit of thought goes into a sound check....plus you KNOW you sound good. Anyway that's it .....rant over.... All the best.

• 3 weeks later...

I also use a wireless so I can sound check , At the moment I'm using a Brefaced super 12T as it produces a lot more depth than the Ashdown , having said that I would like to try using a second 2 x10 or a 1 x15 added to the 2 x10 Neo to see if it's better than the Barefaced plus I think they look cooler ;)

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1420470043' post='2649655']
After years of humping massively heavy 4x10 and 15 inch cabs around....(remember Peavey and Trace gear from the80's..) I now really do believe small speakers are the answer, as long as you have got plenty of them...a little bit of work for each individual speaker, but add them together....
[/quote]

Works very well for PJB. I am a fan

• 2 weeks later...