Why become a member? ×

general fx questions

john_the_bass

i'm putting a board together (admittedly for guitar as i have all the bass fx i need - ie EQ and fuzz) and wondered if there's any rule of thumb as to which order the fx should go?

eg modulatioon > gain > wah or whatever - if you know what i mean. is there anything which doesn't work in front of something else, where is the best place for the tuner to go, etc??

I'm also thinking about buying a board - pedaltrain or an SKB or Gator or similar (funds permitting). Any recommendations as to who makes the best one?
Ta

Generally you would put the fx that change the basic sound - wah, gain, distortion etc before fx that add to the basic sound - chorus, delay, phase, flanging etc. but there's nothing wroing with experimenting to see what works best for you.

Tuners work best with a clean tone, so with either at the beginning of the chain or on a seperate branch (from an A/B pedal or some volume pedals have a seperate tuner out).

I've usually made my own boards, but for ready made ones I'd probably get a [url="http://www.diago.co.uk/"]diago[/url] board.

Cheers
John

nice one, cheers john

i'd half planned to use 2 a/b switches - one in reverse that i can plug two guitars into and switch between them without having to unlpug and then another running to two amps that i can switch between - does this sound reasonable?

I was planning

guitar 1/2 > AB > Tuner > Wah > Loop > OD > Comp > Trem > Chorus > AB > Amp 1/2

I can't think of anything else at the moment I would want - other than a fuzz maybe, but my guess is it would go somewhere with the OD.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='22851' date='Jun 25 2007, 08:31 AM']nice one, cheers john

i'd half planned to use 2 a/b switches - one in reverse that i can plug two guitars into and switch between them without having to unlpug and then another running to two amps that i can switch between - does this sound reasonable?

I was planning

guitar 1/2 > AB > Tuner > Wah > Loop > OD > Comp > Trem > Chorus > AB > Amp 1/2
I can't think of anything else at the moment I would want - other than a fuzz maybe, but my guess is it would go somewhere with the OD.[/quote]

Looks like they're in the right order to me.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='23443' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:23 AM']Compression before fuzz should be banned[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Anything before fuzz should be banned.

Pickups -> cable -> fuzz -> everything else.

How it should always be.