Why become a member? ×

gak.com buying bass

snap

[quote name='snap' post='22767' date='Jun 24 2007, 09:29 PM']im looking at buying a bass from gak.com has anyone ever delt with them ??[/quote]
No, but I was in their shop in Brighton last week. They seem to be a helpful bunch of people. Their bass guy stayed 10 mins after the shop shut to show me some Mark Bass combos. A nice touch.

I haven't had any problems with them. I've placed a few different orders with them, which were all fine.

I once had them ring back the next day and tell me that something was out of stock and wouldn't be in until a particular date, giving me the option of cancelling and going elsewhere. The other situation when they don't tell you what's up with your order is not on. Thankfully I didn't have that.

You could ring up first to check that something's in stock before ordering just to be on the safe side.

I've purchased a bass and amp from them in the past 12 months. No problems. Beware that if purchasing on the net, the delivery address can only be the same as credit card address due to security reasons. I wanted delivery to my work address so had to order over the phone rather than internet.

Funnily enough, I've just been on the phone to them in the last half hour about a recent purchase.

I was looking to buy a new bass, head, cab, practice amp and case and wanted to part-ex some old gear. I hadn't realised the huge difference between web and shop prices but in the end they worked a very nice deal and the whole lot only ended up about twenty-odd quid over the web price. They then waived the delivery charges and said I'd get my amps during the week when they'd come in stock on Monday. That was Saturday the 9th.

Happy with that, very impressed.

The following Tuesday, the head and cab turn up but no practice amp. Delivery driver said that'd probably come later. By the Friday there was still nothing. I'd tried phoning through but got frustrated as I kept ending up back in the automated system. On trying another department they simply redirected me to the ones that weren't answering. I emailed GAK on the 15th about this asking if someone would look into it.

By the 20th I'd had no response so emailed again, forwarding the previous mail, asking if there was any news at all. Today, 25th, I have called and eventually got through to someone who is dealing with it at the moment.

It has been frustrating because they were very quick to respond to emails and reserve items for me when I was about to make a purchase. To be fair, the guy who'd done the deal for me is currently on holiday but some acknowledgement of the issue couldn't have been too much trouble could it?

Following on from the above, they've called me back and are sending me out my amp this afternoon and will look into where the other one went.

Overall, apart from the email response I'm happy. I'll definitely use again. The delivery issue could well be down to the courier so I can't blame GAK for it.

They're all jolly decent chaps when you eventually get through to talk to one.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='22882' date='Jun 25 2007, 10:27 AM']I've had, and know a few people who have also had issues with ordering from their website, for example them saying something will be in stock in 2 days, then shipped, then in 2 days it would say 5 more days, then in 5 days it would say 28 days etc.[/quote]

+1 from me. I've heard the same from another forum. Moral of the story, phone them to confirm they have it in stock... no matter what it says on their website.

Edited by s_u_y_*

I bought a bass and effects etc from GAK - no problem.If you check out Thomann in Eastern Europe they can often be much cheaper - for eg ,£100 cheaper for a Warwick Bass Combo Ibought recently. Delivery times are a few days more but free delivery over £134- which for a 30kg amp from the East German /Polish border is very good. Also they assisgn an English speaking contact for each U.K. order - You get the photo /tel no/ and a name- very user friendly.

I don't use Gak,

Although not their fault, i have bought three pedals on three seperate times from them and they were all clearly ex-demo or faulty on arrival. Getting it sorted took far too long.

They also sent me the wrong leads from what i ordered on one occasions as well and never sorted it out.

I just don't use them any more.

G

I've never used the website, but almost all the gear I own at the moment has been bought from the shop. Even though Graeme might seem a bit miserable sometimes he (or anyone else) has never had a problem with me trying out anything, in fact on more than one occasion I've been in one of the smaller rooms trying basses and one of the guys has brought other basses in without me asking. Never had a problem doing returns/exchanges either, and got quite a few leads thrown into the bargain whenever I've bought something a bit pricey.

[quote name='BassBomber414' post='24440' date='Jun 28 2007, 02:21 PM']I bought a bass and effects etc from GAK - no problem.If you check out Thomann in Eastern Europe they can often be much cheaper - for eg ,£100 cheaper for a Warwick Bass Combo Ibought recently. Delivery times are a few days more but free delivery over £134- which for a 30kg amp from the East German /Polish border is very good. Also they assisgn an English speaking contact for each U.K. order - You get the photo /tel no/ and a name- very user friendly.[/quote]
Any idea which couriers Thomann use? I'm about to order something from them but as they'll inevitably try to deliver it whilst I'm at work I could do with knowing where I'm going to have to pick it up from.

I got my MIM P from them a couple of years back. No problems, but as with any Internet box shifter, they do not check what the condition of the item is in the box. They can't, it would destroy what little profit margin they have left at those prices. Any reputable shop will check AND do a basic set up of what's on their wall, and that's the justification, along with the other overheads, for the greater price. There's no point in buying from the net unless you can do your own setup, as the cost of having this done afterward will more than likely erase any savings made in the first place. OK, I'm biased, I work in a guitar shop, but we don't sell the cheapest guitar without it getting a once-over. GAK or Thomann cannot offer this level of service, and never will be able to, without extra cost.

Also, I know that if you bought something from GAK online and it went wrong, you cannot take it into the shop for fixing, even if you live next door - you MUST send it back by courier. The way the system works for their pricing demands it, they're not just being awkward. Crazy, but true...

I bought my Markbass rig from the shop direct and, although the Markbass distributor lied about
the availability of a 4 Ohm cab, Gak moved heaven and earth to get one into the country before I
went on tour. The couldn't have worked any harder AND they matched Thomann's price!!!

Full marks Gak.

I've bought a Thunderbird, Ampeg amp and cab in their store with no problems. They're helpful -- when the bass section is open -- and will haggle to at or below their internet price.

I've also twice dealt with the online section, and have twice been buggered about. So now I always buy in person.

Cheers

Mark

• 1 month later...