Why become a member? ×

15 basses - sound test and comparison

Miki Groove

Tell you what would be interesting, doing the whole thing again blind and seeing what bass you thought was which!! I have to agree, I actually really like the sound of the Yamaha; I really like the feel of them too hence depsite having a vintage(ish) Precision and a Bongo my gigging bass is a Yamaha 605 with ultra jazzes and a bartolini preamp!

I wish yamaha BBs didn't LOOK like yamaha BBs. Personally I feel they are one of the most unattractive, utilitarian, style-agnostic things in the world. There has to be SOME degree of physical attraction or it's hard to become exciting by a woma... I mean by a bass.

However the tone of the BB is outstanding. Like a dream fender-built PJ with properly matched pickups that each stand on their own as great tones but work beautifully together... very unusual in a PJ.

I find it interesting that the most amazing feeling basses built to modern standards are often considered somewhat anemic sounding compared to a great vintage jazz or precision bass. I adore the feel of my carvin bass (for example), and it's tone is amazing.... but definitely nothing like a great jazz bass despite having a typical jazz bass pickup configuration. my musicman basses, on the other hand, feel amazing (which is annoying to me, the carvin is way better ergonomically than the musicmans), and sound incredible. But I love a great jazz bass tone too.... so I'm trying to decide how to proceed with my carvin.... put in vintage style jazz pickups and give the preamp a passive switch option? hmmm.... what to do, what to do.

I've learned that I actually dislike fodera tone quite a bit.... which is disappointing to me. I'm sure though that they can be made to sound like a great vintage jazz bass with the mods or custom configuration done to them... it's a choice to sound like that, not a limitation.

Anyhow - great great work here, love it all.

Don't you folks wish you were rich enough to own them all? I know I do ....

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1375782058' post='2165409']

For me the it's between the SX and the 62 jazz.
[/quote]

Ditto. Although for me the Stingray has easily the best slap sound; I hate the Jazz slap sound which to me just sounds brittle and clacky. One thing though; if you forced me to use a Jazz (at gunpoint!) I'd always play it with both pickups on so that was something lost in the test for me. I thought the Fodera, Sadowsky and 70s Js sounded exactly how I don't want a bass to sound. :lol:

To be honest though the main thing this test showed me is that if I have to use a Fender it'd always be a Precision! I really don't like what Jazz basses sound like at all, except when JPJ, Gary Thain, Lenny Kravitz (or his various bassists) use them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Only just listened to this. It's interesting, the Jazzes seem to work all round in general with each inherent tone coming through in all settings.. Personally love the '77. It's growly and that warm 'snap' and 'thump' is there when it is slapped. The Sadowsky to my ears is just waiting to be slapped (ooh er!), and seems voiced that way throughout the other settings. Same with the Pensa. Pedula is a surprise, nice. The custom shop reissue stuff comes through nicely too - props to Fender. It's all horses for courses, great to be able to hear such a stable of great 'iconic' basses together in one place. That must have been a nervous car journey! Lol.

Thanks for getting this together.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • ped unpinned this topic