Why become a member? ×

Can you shed any light on the bass i have? Charvel.

Kevstein

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone can share any information on my bass. I believe its just a cheap starter bass but just wanted to know anything else about it.

Its a black Charvette by Charvel 4 string bass. It has a pointy headstock. And i believe its from about 1989 or so. Thats all the knowledge i have on it, maybe not enough for you to know what im on about but ill get pics up at some point.

What like are the quality/sound off them?

I am just thinking of getting a new one but due to my little knowledge i dont know how the one i have is rated.

I have been looking at the Epiphone Tobias (toby) IX Deluxe & also the Ibanez GSR200.

The stuff i play consists of styles like Metallica, Rammstein, Slipknot and other similar bands. I have played in groups before and can play but im a beginner.

Any help, recommendations or advice, is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Kev.

Cheers, some useful information there. And GregBass, yeh identical to the white one in the photo. Mine is red though.

I thought it might have been a cheapy beginner model, but as i bought it second hand i wasnt sure, paid £50 for it about 10 years ago, so not too bad id say considering it was like new.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1375702801' post='2164400']
They were Charvel's budget range around the early 1990s. Similar to the Squier situation. They were viewed as beginner guitars.
[/quote]

Yes, in short.

From the few I've seen, not bad players. I've always had a soft spot for the old Charvels, some great guitars :)

After a bit of research i have found out that it is a Charvette by Charvel model 400 bass. Made in Japan and theyre supposed to be really good value for money. Think they were $400 new.

Apparently the black one is the best one and rarest one (according to reviews so not necessarily true) and mine was black... and then i painted it red quite poorly lol. Looks ace in red but nowhere near the finish and shine of a genuine paint job... :(

See, Kev, the colour is actually not really that important.
While, technically, different tone colours will sound proveably different, the impact of the differences is virtually zilch in a band situation.
Add to that that red will tend towards black in the dark, and you might even boldly state that yours [b]is[/b] black. Or should I say coloured? Demm, it's hard to be pc.
Anyway, your best question now is: "What tone colour's best for metal?"
:P

Seriously though: do as I say: get the thang to someone in the know. Before you know it, you have a diamond in your clammy hands, and nobody will stop you from buying the Ibby or the Toby in addition - as a cheap backup! :)

Oh, and before I forget, you'll find that going to a Toby IX is a quite dramatic step.
Me, I'd advise you to take your development in smaller steps, and go for the Toby IV instead.
That or a fiver.
:P
(couldn't resist)

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

I used to sell Charvette guitars back in late 80s early 90s.
They used to set up really well and had Charvel pickups.
Some of the top end ones had proper Jackson Floyd roses.
The bodies were often plywood but they still sounded good. We sold bucket loads of them and I recently came across a top of the range guitar. Floyd rose, 3 pickups, 24 3/4 scale length in bright orange. It was immaculate. I gave it a set up and it was brilliant so I can imagine the bass you have is good.
IMHO they were better than beginners guitars

Cheers, Very surprising. It sounds like it might be kind of pointless to 'upgrade' then. And yeh police squad mine has the Charvel pickups too. You say that you sold them in buckets so there must be a reason why and if you think they were better than beginner guitars then thats all i need.

I will resolder the wire, get new screws for my bridge (if i can find any), polish the scratches out of the neck and perhaps treat it to a better quality paint job (though it wont make any real difference except make it look cool). I will post pics of her tonight to see what you guys think.

BassTractor: Thats not a bad idea either. My brother is good with guitars and my mate is pretty damn clued in. He has a lot of guitars and is always "tinkering". I will ask them to see. It is just too rattley.. Even with its new strings (ernie ball slinkys 45-105 medium gauge). Mind you propping the saddle up with a 5p wont be helping much but the rattle actually comes from the strings.

• 3 years later...

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1375702801' post='2164400']
They were Charvel's budget range around the early 1990s. Similar to the Squier situation. They were viewed as beginner guitars.
[/quote]

Define "Beginners" bass.
If someone starting out has the finance to buy an Alembic,/Stingray/Sadowsky etc' does that make it a "Beginners" bass????