Why become a member? ×

Warwick vs Warwick Rock Bass

PhilLawton

I've been looking high and low for a Warwick fretless and note that the (Chinese built?) Rockbasses are all over the shop. How do they stack up against the "real" Warwicks? Would I be wasting my money? What else could I look for of the same build quality, feel and (most importantly) sound of the originals?

As someone who owns both, Rockbasses are budget instruments that share only the Warwick name with their German counterparts. Don't get me wrong - they are perfectly playable, decent quality budget instruments. They don't, however, compare with the full blown Warwick range. Certainly the older Rockbasses don't use the same tone woods, and they tend not have the famous Warwick growl.

This one ;) :

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/189415-warwick-corvette-proline-1992-lined-fretless-defretted-nirvana-black-now-l400/page__p__2161900__hl__warwick%20fretless__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/189415-warwick-corvette-proline-1992-lined-fretless-defretted-nirvana-black-now-l400/page__p__2161900__hl__warwick%20fretless__fromsearch__1[/url]

(Hello again PhilLawton)

[quote name='PhilLawton' timestamp='1375793863' post='2165649']
I've been looking high and low for a Warwick fretless and note that the (Chinese built?) Rockbasses are all over the shop. How do they stack up against the "real" Warwicks? Would I be wasting my money? What else could I look for of the same build quality, feel and (most importantly) sound of the originals?
[/quote]
Where are you based? There's probably a basschatter not too far away who might have one or the other (or both) to let you see the differences.

I've got both, and there is a noticeable difference. But tends to be the case, you'd be hard-pressed to say that German Warwicks are 5 times the quality of the Chinese ones (that being, very roughly, the price ratio between them). I'd also point out that the Chinese RBs were re-modelled about 2/3 years ago. Before that the quality control was a joke, but since it is better, I believe. You can tell them apart because the earlier ones had a one-piece bridge (sometimes in the right place, sometimes not :rolleyes:) and the newer ones have the 2-piece bridge. Plus the price tends to be quite a bit higher for the latter, of course!

I've got a fretless mahogany Corvette $$ that I could probably be persuaded to part with, but I'd want a bit more money than bagsie is asking for his Corvette.