Why become a member? ×

I never new it would be....

sshorepunk

this good!!!

OK, I've been playing bass for 30 years, I started when I was 2 :) I've owned just about every make out there in every possible form, from 4 to 7 strings, with and without frets

But I ain't enjoyed myself as much for a long time as I have in the last hour, jamming along to some of my fave tunes on a NS wav that arrived today! Yep, sopme of the playing is out of tune and the fact I have a chunk of flesh missing from my right hand index finger doesn't exactly help, but still able to play!

I've been reading this section for a while, lurking in the background, some good sound advice being dished out, the first bit of advice I'm going to take is is lessons, I may have been at it for a while, even learnt on DB when I was at school (aged 2 :huh: ) but still think it will pay in the long run.

The bass came from a guy on e-bay, took a chance has he only had low feedback, got a BIN price off him that was about £100 more than a Stagg.
It's black BTW

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

I started playing before I was born (I was premature). My parents were jazz musicians who played Gil Evans arrangements to me in the womb (via headphones) so, after I was born, they immediately taught me how to read music so I could write down my ideas. I performed in front of Wynton Marsalis before my first birthday and he wanted to book me for his Septet but I wasn't old enough to work nightclubs and, anyway, the soiled nappy thing was a problem for him. So, instead, I starting teaching at the ACM in Guildford. I got the sack after three months as I started talking about major sevenths and they thought I was a bit too advanced for them. So, still only 14 months old, I wrote my first Concerto which Peter Jackson has since earmarked for The Hobbit (that Shore guy thinks he's got the gig but, Jackson is going to sack him again - don't say anything, it is a secret). Personally, I think the work is a little naive, like late Stravinsky only noisier.

Anyway, at age of two & a half, Vinny at Fodera offered to build me a 13" scale signature six-string fretless which I accpeted graciously, my Guild Ashbory having tuning problems. I tried talcum powder but, for some reason, I preferred to put it on my a*** than my fingers so that didn't work. I released my first CD at three years old (it sold dozens) and then left the music business to become a Hoodie. I am now in HMP Belmarsh waiting for Parole at which point, I will be recording my 'Free Neslon Mandela' suite and, with Bono from U2, petitioning for the release of this great man.

See you then if not before.

I don't know the name?

Spent some time jamming along to some tunes I do with a guitarist, chilli peppers, audioslave etc, sounded better towrds the end of the evening, once my hands got used to the spacing.
Spoke to the guitarist I play with today (he works with me) and we talked about getting a few of the songs down with a bit of a swing, then maybe doing a few open mike and jam nights. Most are origanils, but Scar tissue looks like it will work well, the line swings anyway. Also looked at putting a walking line into one of our own tunes, maybe just chnage the middle 8.
Even after a fe whours playing, it changes the way you think about stuff

Tony

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='217528' date='Jun 12 2008, 12:27 PM']Is Steve Berry still up that way?[/quote]
Steve's in Blackburn. If you can manage the journey he is one of the best music educators I know.
I taught Ollie Collins, he's now the bass tutor at Salford I don't know if he does upright but I definitely gave him some lessons on it.
I also taught Matt Owens who is doing well, don't know if he teaches.
There is a BBC Phil guy called Mike Escreet he gave me some classical lessons
If you try to contact any of those guys and fail let me know as I could find details for all of them.
Sorry for the punt but I work in Manchester regularly and would happily come to give you a lesson or two.
check here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20577"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20577[/url]
for my teaching feedback from fellow BCrs

[quote name='jakesbass' post='217573' date='Jun 12 2008, 01:16 PM']Steve's in Blackburn. If you can manage the journey he is one of the best music educators I know.
I taught Ollie Collins, he's now the bass tutor at Salford I don't know if he does upright but I definitely gave him some lessons on it.
I also taught Matt Owens who is doing well, don't know if he teaches.
There is a BBC Phil guy called Mike Escreet he gave me some classical lessons
If you try to contact any of those guys and fail let me know as I could find details for all of them.
Sorry for the punt but I work in Manchester regularly and would happily come to give you a lesson or two.
check here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20577"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20577[/url]
for my teaching feedback from fellow BCrs[/quote]

+1 for Jake (really must get round to booking the next lesson!)