Why become a member? ×

Mono pre-amp into stereo power amp

BigRedX

Up to now I've been running a bi-amp system, but as I no longer have any need for different effects on the highs and lows this setup has become redundant and I have suspected less efficient than just running both cabs full range. This weekend I made up a Y splitter lead and ran both channels of my power amp from the model output of my BassPod with the bi-amping off, and was much more impressed with the sound (and was able to turn the power amp down to get the same apparent volume) now that effects needs are far more simple.

So the question is: Is it OK to run the power amp this way or should I be using something a bit more sophisticated to split the mono out into both channels of the power amp? And if so what? Something active or passive with transformers?

It's fine to run two channels using a Y splitter cord. Some power amps, like QSC have an input selector which routes channel 1 input to both channels. Some have a loop out from each channel so you can daisy cain them together. At the end of the day it will dpend on the input impedance of the power amp.

If you parallel too many then you will get a loss in level and frequency response. If you want to run lots of power amps then get an audio distribution amplifier. They split the signal, adjust the level and provide buffered outputs. No need for transformers.

Ta for the replies.

I'm only ever going to be running 2 channels of Power amp from a single Pod channel so what I've made up should be fine.

I was worried because there's been situations in the past where not buffering the split in some way affected the tone on one side of the split, but that was when I was running into two completely different devices (this was a guitar set up where I was running into 2 completely different effects/amp systems). I guess that both sides of a stereo power amp should present the same, which is why I can get away with it?

Your power amp may have one of the inputs marked as "mono". Just feed the O/P from the pod to this input, select "mono" on the power amp and each channel will take this mono signal. (What OBBM said in essence!!) Alternatively, just use one side of your power amp, keep the other idle for a spare incase of shutdowns etc.

May work.

Neil

Edited by neilb

Can the said power amp be bridged?
I ran my QSC PLX1202 in bridged mode to great effect.
Until it died.
Which was (of course) unrelated.

That was a good month. Pre-amp died (valve) Power amp died (solid state). I'm taking up the recorder, now! I still can't afford replacements...

Had a bit more of a play last night. I hadn't considered that only connecting one input might send the single signal to both channels but on my amp it doesn't. This one doesn't allowing bridging either, although to be honest I like the idea of being able to control the volume of each cab separately as it give me more flexibility for on-stage layout and monitoring.

Thanks for everyone's input, put for now I'll stick with the Y lead (although I might ask OBBM if he can make me up a better lead than the one I've done myself). It all works and I'm not damaging the amp or compromising my tone and I've definitely got a much better "standard" bass sound now I'm no longer dealing in complicated effects routing and therefore don't have to bi-amp.

What power amp do you have? I have done just this thing with both a Behringer (spit!) Europower, which requires dip switches to be re-set on the back, and my Peavey CS800S. The latter has a through jack socket on the back that you can connect to the input of channel b. I suppose that it is essentially performing the same purpose as your y-cable but is a bit neater.