Why become a member? ×

Wizard pickups closes

Thunderbird

Andy told me some years ago that he had some health issues and was intending to scale back the business. For example, sticking to specific product ranges and no longer doing custom winds. It's a real shame he couldn't keep things going though, he has a mountain of knowledge to share.

Good on him. He's earnt it. My fav pick up by a long way. Even if he was a bit reluctant to do some stuff. But his health comes first and all the best to him.

A

This now also means that Wizard Pickups have become a finite element. S/H prices may change a bit now. :blink:

A

It's a great shame, I've liked all the sets of pickups I've had from Wizard, I've still got a Thumper in my P Bass just now.

That said, when I saw the thread title I was worried that it was another story of a small UK company going out of business, glad to see that's not the case.

Out of interest, what happens to all the leftover stock? Surely there must be boxes of ready made pickups that we could still buy until he runs out, or was it a case of the pickups were made when you placed an order?

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1376308934' post='2171895']
It's a great shame, I've liked all the sets of pickups I've had from Wizard, I've still got a Thumper in my P Bass just now.

That said, when I saw the thread title I was worried that it was another story of a small UK company going out of business, glad to see that's not the case.

Out of interest, what happens to all the leftover stock? Surely there must be boxes of ready made pickups that we could still buy until he runs out, or was it a case of the pickups were made when you placed an order?
[/quote]

Logic would dictate that he closed when he sold the final one on the shelf. I think he actually made them to order. So he would have closed when he used up the last bobbin and foot of copper wire.

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1376309096' post='2171898']
Logic would dictate that he closed when he sold the final one on the shelf. I think he actually made them to order. So he would have closed when he used up the last bobbin and foot of copper wire.

A
[/quote]

If it was a made to order job then that makes sense, I've only ever bought Wizard pickups second hand so I've never bought directly from the site so I wasn't sure what the set up is.

Once again, it's a shame that he's no longer trading, really good pickups at a great price.

Yes bless him on all his great work - a true wizard, and good luck on his retirement plans i say.

BTW, I have some Wizard Vintage P/J's - £200 or best offer :lol: ....only joking, they'll be worth 3 times that in years to come, along with Ryder basses, and i'm not selling them either...cuz they're lovely :P

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1376307090' post='2171866']...
This now also means that Wizard Pickups have become a finite element. ...
[/quote]
Quite appropriate in SW Wales; I wonder if he had any connection with Zinkiewicz.*

Anyway, as a satisfied Wizard customer, I'm sad the company is no more, but pleased for Andy - sounds like a wonderful retirement plan.

* This is my bid for the record for the most obscure joke on basschat. :)

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1376995812' post='2181896']
Kicking myself that I was too lazy to get my Shergold Marathon pickup to him for the re-wind we discussed.
The Thumper in my Precision is still the best for me of all the many pups I tried.
[/quote]

You could always try Aaron Armstrong for your rewind. I'm going to ask him to clone my Ripper pickup - cheaper than getting a Seymour Duncan replacement over from the States.

[url="http://www.armstrongpickups.co.uk/repairs-rewind-services/"]http://www.armstrongpickups.co.uk/repairs-rewind-services/[/url]

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1376996181' post='2181899']
You could always try Aaron Armstrong for your rewind. I'm going to ask him to clone my Ripper pickup - cheaper than getting a Seymour Duncan replacement over from the States.

[url="http://www.armstrongpickups.co.uk/repairs-rewind-services/"]http://www.armstrong...ewind-services/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll get in touch.