Why become a member? ×

Trace elliot ah400smx opinions?

Patchbass

One of these along with a trace 115 is in my local music shop and I've been on it a few times and like the sound although it does look heavy the guy is willing to sell the head and cab for £500 do I take it and also I'm not sure whether to get it or go for an abm 500 and 410 as I want a a warm deep sound. opinions?

I have used one for a number of years (bought it 2nd hand in 2005). It's certainly loud enough for most gigs, has a decent and flexible 12-band EQ and the compression is excellent. I normally engage one of the preset TE sounds, depending on venue/acoustics etc, and set the valve control at about halfway. No complaints, sure it's heavy but not ludicrously so. I have had to had it serviced once I think, which isn't bad considering it's age. Every band I've used it in have liked the sound.

Whether it will provide the "warm, deep sound" you are looking for I'm not sure as it's obviously quite subjective and I am no "expert", nor obsessive about a particular sound.

£500 for the head and cab is a good deal. You can always add extra warmth and grit through a pedal or two. I would make an effort to try an Ashdown to see if you prefer it. Personally I prefer Trace Elliot amps but that is just after years of using them. I do like the Ashdowns as well. To be honest you can't go wrong either way.

I had TE gear for quite a while and could never knock it, apart from the weight. Seriously loud stuff. The Series 6 and SMX range were great for flexible tone, but the rigs always weighed a ton, which became a decisive factor for me.

Also, with only one cab, you won't get the full clout of the amp, unless you're using a 4 ohm cab.

I used to have an AH200 with a 1x15 and 2x10 with 2x5. Weighed a ton but sounded great. Swapped for two 1x15s and lost a lot of tone. Ultimately I went to Ampeg and then down the lightweight route with GK. But if you can lift 'em, the AH400 SMX and a 4x10 (or a pair of 2x10s for max wattage) should serve you well.

BB

I have both a Trace SMX and an Ashdown but prefer the Trace as it gives me a much punchier sound and plenty of grit, I found the Ashdown a little to sterile but maybe just the model ? I used to use the Trace with a 1x15 and 2x10 set up but recently have stopped using the 15 and still find the 2x10 giving a full sound, easier on the back as well, if I had a choice I would get a 4x10 but I never seem to see one when I have the spare cash :-)

[quote name='Calex' timestamp='1376731324' post='2178427']
I have both a Trace SMX and an Ashdown but prefer the Trace as it gives me a much punchier sound and plenty of grit, I found the Ashdown a little to sterile but maybe just the model ? I used to use the Trace with a 1x15 and 2x10 set up but recently have stopped using the 15 and still find the 2x10 giving a full sound, easier on the back as well, if I had a choice I would get a 4x10 but I never seem to see one when I have the spare cash :-)
[/quote] hmm what model ashdown is it?

I used and owned some Ashdown Mag series stuff and also Owned Trace. For me, the Trace pre-Gibson stuff is astonishing. Sounds great and weights a Ton lol.

I owned the AH350SMX and boy was that Loud! Much much louder through a 4Ohm Cab than my Markbass F1 (same cab).
You can say it's very Punchy,, Growly and Warm, but without beeing ampeg wooly-warm (now that's a weird description :D )
Trace stuff NEVER loose their Grit as that is the TE signature (it was...) and it really cuts through in a band setting. The SMX dual compressor is really great (one of the best integrated compressors).

Ashdown seems to "warm-not-to-much-deffinition" to me. I used a Mag 300 through a 15" Ash and separetly through a 410 and both lack of clean tone. Boomy is the right word. I don't know about the ABM stuff but maybe it's simillar with better construction.

I owned an actual TE 1518 cab too (500W/8Ohm) and it was the punchiest setting i have ever used or heard (with the TE head) and it was very very loud.very very growly and deep and cleAr lows. No tweeter so no harshness in that.

Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...

Bit late in the conversation, but I have owned an AH400smx with a 4x10 (8 ohm) since 2001. I only played pub gigs and one larger venue but the tone was awesome. Definitely loud enough. Serviced it myself a couple of times (mainly hoovering out the dust) and its never let me down. Heavy beast. The built in compression is 2nd to none.. I keep the low and high turned up about 3 quarters, just allowing a little attack for the occasional thrash. 2 years ago i added a 1x15 (8 ohm) - oh my god what a difference, the joint 4 ohm allows the full potential of the amp but so wish i had done that years early... Holy hell it is heavy but definitely worth it. The effects loop it top notch too allowing the come and go of silly pedal with its own blend volume.

The T.E sounds (switchable) are also really good, giving true TE warmth if and when you need it. The 12band EQ is also really good too... (remember to clip the low hz)... Mix it all around with the TE sounds and blend of tube and you'll find your sound.

Back in 2001 I paid £800 for the amp & 4x10 with the 1x15 an extra £90 (stupid bargain)... Best £890 i have spent... Countless gigs (and the tone you can achieve with the 2 cabs) this baby has, and will continue to be, my workhorse.

Edited by lukewarm

I've had Trace SMX and Ashdown ABM Evo heads in the past. I preferred the Trace which had more versatility with 12 band graphic, 2 really nice preset tones and a cracking good compressor on board. A warm deep tone is Trace SMX in a nutshell.

Edited by Japhet

Had an AH400SMX as my first 'proper' amp. Bought it new on the 18th September 1999 to be exact then sold it about 8 years ago to our lead guitarist's younger brother. When my Ampeg packed in a few months ago he was good enough to lend it back to me for a gig and it really was one of those 'why the hell did I ever sell this?' moments. Truly awesome sounding amp! If I wasn't looking to go lightweight with my rig right now then I'd have been begging him to sell it back to me.

Big trace fan here and any SMX head you can find would get my vote.

I had a 600 and a 350, but I've settled on the 250 version (well 2 of them plus the 1x15 combo version). I mainly play a Stingray usually through pre-shape 2 and I defy anybody to need more power than the 250 gives. Absolutely all you could ever need from an amp.

The price? Well I'd say it's well worth £500 but you will find that rig cheaper if you're willing to wait for them to come up on these hallowed pages and don't mind travelling a bit. 👍

[quote name='borisbrain' timestamp='1376668992' post='2177783']
I had TE gear for quite a while and could never knock it, apart from the weight.
[/quote]

This says it all, really!

I had a 1210 combo (4x10") for around 20 years. Ace sound, except every time I had to move it. Spending a load of money to change to a good lightweight rig (in my sig) left me with only relief to say farewell to the Trace.

In fact I occasionally encounter my old Trace in a shared line-up. No complaints with it at all in that line-up, as I don't have to move it... :D

I have just returned to Trace Elliot from class D amps, having bought on here an AH300-12 SMX that had been rack mounted in an ABS 2U case. Weighs in at around 12kg, which isn't a deal breaker as far as my back is concerned and much the same as the cabs (Barefaced Supercompact). No, I can't fit it in my gig bag but it is a compromise I am prepared to make for the contentment I get every time I switch it on. I think this must be the way forward - rack mounting in ABS - as that wooden box must be heavy.

• 3 weeks later...