Why become a member? ×

New Youtube Double Bass Lessons

geoffbassist

Hi Geoff,

Sorry to be late to the thread but had to comment after watching the first lesson. After years (lots of years :) ) on the electric, I'm dabbling in the world of double using a Stagg EUB as a low cost introduction. I have gigged with it a couple of times but really struggled with left hand pain. No wonder when I watched your first video on left hand technique! Collapsed knuckles and a bear-like grip of the neck was my stock hand position :blush:. Half an hour practicing the correct technique and no hand pain. Thank you for sharing your experiences and techniques - you might make a double bassist out of me yet :)

Hey timbass and JPJ, thanks for the great feedback, it's great to hear the lessons are helping. Especially as JPJ was playing with pain, I'm glad you have got on top of that and its great to hear you are giging so quickly after starting playing!
I'm just editing some more and have another one out this Thursday. Cheers Geoff

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384197182' post='2273895']
What have we got to look forward to Geoff?
[/quote]

Hey Pete, this one is a scales one and I bet you already know the information in the lesson, but it is important for anyone starting out. I also wanted to remind everyone that you can get the scales/arpeggios backing tracks over 1 & 2 octaves for free on my website to help reference your tuning.
I will also be doing 2&3 octave scales video lesson in the new year. In 2 weeks time I will be going for a lesson on either walking bass or soloing.....I'm not 100% sure, but I will see what's on the hard drive :-)

[media]http://youtu.be/bbno3v6xbAo[/media]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#333333]Here's a brand new video lesson on walking bass lines.... I find that when you start out creating your walking bass lines using arpeggios they can sound a bit plain. This lesson is to help add more melodic shape and phrasing to keep the lines interesting, before you develop them with extra notes such as chromatic leading notes, etc...[/color][/font][/size]
http://youtu.be/7guszMfUZeo

Edited by geoffbassist

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Brucec' timestamp='1388601973' post='2323919']
Hi Geoff. I've just discovered your site today. Absolutely fantastic - thank you. I'm starting DB after many years of electric bass, and I know your lessons will save me picking up a lot of bad habits and speed me up enormously.

Bruce
[/quote]

Great stuff Bruce, I'm glad they help. Cheer Geoff

Here's a new lesson I released today on 1 octave major scales in D and Eb major.
http://youtu.be/FNgu5uU7YMU

What mic are you using to record these lessons Geoff? Your bass sounds lush!

Sadly I've got out of the habit of practising daily on upright for the last six months or so because I haven't had a regular gig for it, but your videos are great for making me feel all spirited about it again. I'll have to remember to check them out earlier in the evening tomorrow, I think my neighbours would be less than impressed if I started playing this late. :(

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1391116980' post='2353575']
Excellent stuff Geoff - pleased every time there is a new video!
[/quote]

That's great to hear ubassman, thanks :-)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1391117841' post='2353588']
What mic are you using to record these lessons Geoff? Your bass sounds lush!

Sadly I've got out of the habit of practising daily on upright for the last six months or so because I haven't had a regular gig for it, but your videos are great for making me feel all spirited about it again. I'll have to remember to check them out earlier in the evening tomorrow, I think my neighbours would be less than impressed if I started playing this late. :(
[/quote]

It's a Heil PR40, I'm glad you like it, I don't know much about mic's but have been really happy with it.
Im also being really bad at getting those practice hours in and need to get back on it! I know what you mean about the neighbours though :-)

I just want to give Geoff's site another plug. This material is fantastic. I've also invested a very modest and reasonable sum of money in Geoff's excellent downloadable Discover Double Bass Study Guide, and am working through it. The guide is well worth the money, and of course the videos are free. Highly recommended to all beginners. :)

Now, I just need to do some practice ... :unsure:

[quote name='Brucec' timestamp='1391271075' post='2355225']
I just want to give Geoff's site another plug. This material is fantastic. I've also invested a very modest and reasonable sum of money in Geoff's excellent downloadable Discover Double Bass Study Guide, and am working through it. The guide is well worth the money, and of course the videos are free. Highly recommended to all beginners. :)

Now, I just need to do some practice ... :unsure:
[/quote]

Thank's so much for your support Bruce, I really appreciate it. :)
Good luck with all your practice, cheers Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Blartfactor10' timestamp='1391458294' post='2357445']
Hey Geoff Just stumbled upon these lessons and there's some great stuff here. I'm trying to brush up on my chart reading (Jazz standards) and these DVDs have helped spur me on. (Must get round to buying a decent bow as well) Thanks man!
[/quote]

Thanks, that's great to hear. Good luck with the bowing! :)

I've just released a new lesson about playing chords on the upright bass. The video has a short composition of mine at the start to show you how I like to use them. Of course chords are also great for working on your intonation so its a useful thing to look into. I hope you enjoy it. Cheers Geoff
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZxC4CDZPg[/media]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1392364508' post='2367750']
Excellent lesson on chords Geoff, very high standard of teaching mate, you have launched a fantastic resource for learning and consolidating jazz playing on double bass. Very enjoyable indeed.
[/quote]

Thanks Rabbie! I real appreciate the feedback. :)

Here's a new lesson of mine featuring another original tune called 'Blues for Double Bass'. It didn't take me long to come up with the title but I hope you enjoy the music :-)

It's been released by Bass The World, here's the video.

[media]http://youtu.be/BOCd3N8juF0[/media]

• 4 weeks later...