Why become a member? ×

New Youtube Double Bass Lessons

geoffbassist

Hi Geoff, I am new to double bass (2 days in!) although I've played bass guitar on and off (mostly on) for nearly 40 years. I've only briefly perused your lessons, but from what little I've seen I think they will be right up my street. Thanks for all the time and effort which you must have put into it :)

[quote name='Bob G' timestamp='1421452331' post='2661617']
Hi Geoff, I am new to double bass (2 days in!) although I've played bass guitar on and off (mostly on) for nearly 40 years. I've only briefly perused your lessons, but from what little I've seen I think they will be right up my street. Thanks for all the time and effort which you must have put into it :)
[/quote]

Hey Bob, thanks, I really appreciate that and I hope you enjoy your new bass :-)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1421509206' post='2662101']
Excellent as ever Geoff, I loved the walking in thumb position around 14.30, brilliant! OK I am off to practice, I promise :)
[/quote]

Great mate, I hope you're doing well Pete! Cheers Geoff :-)

Loving the bow work Geoff! :D , I am using my misery stick more and more during my practice sessions and I am getting better, I do find it hard to 'start' the strings on mine, how would you rate the Zyex to my Spiro weichs and your regular Evah Pirazzi weichs for arco? I am still learning how much and how little rosin to add and I haven't put any on for a while with better results if anything, Owens advice of tilting the bow at the bass bash helped me a lot (Thanks Owen :) ) and I have a lesson coming up with Jake fairly soon if the planets line up so I will make some screeching noises for him then, I like the deeper sound (to my ears) that your bass has normally compared to mine but then the clarity and brightness is probably best for a novice like me?

Thanks again, Pete.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1421852881' post='2665791']
Loving the bow work Geoff! :D , I am using my misery stick more and more during my practice sessions and I am getting better, I do find it hard to 'start' the strings on mine, how would you rate the Zyex to my Spiro weichs and your regular Evah Pirazzi weichs for arco? I am still learning how much and how little rosin to add and I haven't put any on for a while with better results if anything, Owens advice of tilting the bow at the bass bash helped me a lot (Thanks Owen :) ) and I have a lesson coming up with Jake fairly soon if the planets line up so I will make some screeching noises for him then, I like the deeper sound (to my ears) that your bass has normally compared to mine but then the clarity and brightness is probably best for a novice like me?

Thanks again, Pete.
[/quote]

I think that starting the note is a really key thing to get right and being able to grip the string, then release the note is the key to avoid 'skating'. I've got plans to do some arco lessons in the next few months....BTW I was depping on a show and the regular bassist asked if I was a bow dodger...what a cool expression!

To my ears the Zyex feel like a string that sits inbetween Evahs and Spiros in the spectrum and I think the Evahs (weich and regular) bow a little easier than the zyex, but it's really that the Zyex are brighter so less forgiving and have a slightly more cutting tone, but not as direct as the Spiros. I actually really like the Zyex for arco and they can sing out well, but I also love the Evah wiech strings and usually end up back with those after trying new strings.
I would stick with what you have on your bass Pete (Spiros?) as they really worked! I'm looking forward to doing some more gigs with the Zyex and will be interesting to see if I end up back with the Pirastro's....frankly both are really nice and work well on my bass, but I can't help tweaking!

BTW, I just released a lesson on changing strings. It's a really tricky thing and there's a lot of different ways to do it, but I hope there's some cool tips which will help make it as quick and easy for string addicts like me :-)

http://youtu.be/zBxnF-mmIWI

• 6 months later...

I'm completely new to the double bass and was just searching the forum for good online lessons

- you guys have all made it very easy for me with this thread so huge thanks to everyone who's contributed to it with their recommendations (and to Geoff of course for putting the lessons together).

I've just bought myself an old Czech hybrid 3/4 to start out on and I'm going to download my first lessons this evening!

Thanks guys :)

• 3 weeks later...

As always Geoff, the quality of your lessons is superb. Whenever I need inspiration for improving my technique or just to look at someone playing DB properly, I go back to your Youtube lessons and the downloads I purchased (great value). Many thanks for your help in my progress.

• 1 month later...

I've been mixing things up and my newest video is a string review. Evah Pirazzi Weich but with an Oliv G. I'm really loving the gut G but am not sure which I prefer yet...it was surprising how easy the Oliv is to bow, it's very similar to the regular Evah G in that respect. It's also a lot thicker gauge...possibly even bigger than the Evah weich D, but it's very easy to play and the set blends really well. My main concern is that this experiment has been feeding my gut string GAS!

Here's the video if you want to hear some playing pizz/arco playing examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnuwVonqIwU