Why become a member? ×

New Youtube Double Bass Lessons

geoffbassist

When I first got started with DB I had a couple of lessons with Geoff and he's a great teacher. He's got a good eye for what you can improve and his technique is practically immaculate so it's a great goal to aim for.

Sadly I ran out of free time to be able to get over to visit him, but Geoff I will have to get back in touch soon having watched a couple of your videos, I am still jealous of your intonation and - shock horror - I still don't know how to play bass properly.

Oh yes in terms of video critique: The main thing I like is that you don't spend a lot of time explaining things in very simple terms. For example Scott Devine's bass guitar videos are great but I think from the way they are paced they aren't aimed at people like me. I feel like I am constantly scrambling at the steeper end of the learning curve - the bit where most people turn back and play the blues licks they know and love. It seems Scott's videos are intended as a course for beginners, but I imagine there are a lot of musicians in the same 'bright, uneducated, struggling' sort of area I occupy, and they are the type of people who most want to learn more, so I think your videos are targeted pretty nicely.

Unless of course you meant to build a course of instruction for total beginners, in which case I think you are playing yourself. :D

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1377239408' post='2185093']
Anyone know where I can get a gig bag for one of these?

:D

A
[/quote]

I carry one to every gig and have a handy shipping crate that fits neatly in the back of my lorry. The other band members are used to it now :-)

It's been really cool reading all the comments and I'm looking forward to getting more lessons out asap.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Just watched a few more lessons which has given me enough things to go and try, I'm doing most of the things not to do with the left hand although I'm using the right bit of the fingers and not collapsing, bunching up I'm sure I do and just the general hand shape and trying to relax. Already raised my endpin as no other clips told me to keep the bass an arms length away then let it fall back. I need to go and get in front of the mirror with the misery stick for a bit, cheers Geoff these are ace :)

Great Website Geoff :D Great Quality vids for this very part of the forum!

I think it would be cool to expand on your left hand technique vid as its great!
A suggestion would be -
Mention in a future video expanding on how the hand shape in the half position requires a bigger distance from the G# to the A
i.e1--2-4
G#ABb

An exercise for that would be A harmonic Minor scale (Neil Tarlton stresses this in his Beggining scales book) and Duncan's Daily exercise no. 4 :D
Really cool to see this type of info is free for everyone :D

Great work Geoff!

Just watched (& liked) your shifting pt2 vid. You've got an exercise in there that I'd not come across before, so v useful. I like how on a couple of occasions you'd noticed you'd gone slightly out of tune but didn't edit it out, instead emphasising that this is exactly why we do these exercises! This is only the second vid I've managed to watch, but so far I feel these are far superior online tutorials than others out there on You Tube. V clear. Cheers for the shifting exercises e-book too. Once I've got the kids back at school I can get back to practicing again & I will print it off and have a go!

Hey Guys, it's great these are being used and enjoyed. Thanks for all your encouragement.

Floyd, you are bang on about that issue and that is a great point! It seems to happen a lot.
I expand on the 1st left hand lesson here, [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8gqJ377PU"]Six Common Problems with Left Hand Technique on the Double/Upright Bass. (L#2)[/url] but could really talk all day about it!

Hey MandShef,
Yes the tuning thing is deliberate as I could edit mistakes out, but decided it was better to keep going and maintain the flow of the delivery. Most editing was cutting me waffling on :-) It does kill me to listen back to some of them, but time was a real issue and I needed to keep filming and create more lessons rather than going back and fixing bits. It has been really nice to hear that you get why I left them as I did worry that people may think worse of me as a result.
The exercises in the ebook really help me. I know shifting seems VERY dull to a lot of people, but I think it's the most commonly overlooked issue with tuning. I remember just moving my hand up the neck hoping for notes. It wasn't a good system. The other lesson that is vital to understanding tuning and shifting is one on using the neck heel, which will be out very soon.
Cheers Geoff

P.S I have set up a Facebook page here if anyone fancies taking a look: [url="http://www.facebook.com/discoverdoublebass"]http://www.facebook....coverdoublebass[/url]... and a twitter one here: https://twitter.com/DiscoverDoubleB

Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='AndrewRichards' timestamp='1377460196' post='2187846']
Really great lessons, I haven't seen any other videos on youtube which have had as much detail as yours! I will definitely be recommending your lessons and absorbing as much information from them as possible!
[/quote]

Thank's for the great feedback Andrew, I'm really glad you are enjoying them.
[color=#333333]Here's a brand NEW video double bass lesson. It's about right hand exercises that will improve your time and tone. [/color]
[color=#333333]I hope you enjoy it! [/color]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-AaZ4uJC4

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

I'm loving these Geoff, just watched the two walking bass lines lessons and I'm right there somewhere ability wise and theory wise, first lesson I'm probably getting close to but the second one was pushing my limit so I can really focus on everything you have said there and I will download the exercises too.
I have learnt more in the last week due to your clips than I have all year! Brilliant :D

Can I make a suggestion? Bow lesson, I'm terrible with a bow but I think a lot of my trouble stems from incorrect bow tension and rosin application, if I could get a better sound from it I would be more inclined to practice scales with it. I might need to get a lesson with it just so a teacher can try my bows and show me where im going wrong?(Yita french carbon bow and free german bow that came with my gedo), ta.

Hey Pete and TheG,
It's great these are working out and you are enjoying them. I have another 2 waking bass lessons for that series on my hard drive that are on the way.

The bow lesson is in the planning as it's such a big topic, but I will do it. The difference that learning how to use the bow made to my playing was huge and would recommend everyone use one, even if its just for scales. However the real pay back comes when you find all this amazing music that's out there. I know Floyd is working really hard at that side and I love how passionate he is about sharing all the amazing classical solo repertoire. Then there's all the great jazzers like John Goldsby and Christian Mcbride who sound amazing ripping it up with the bow! It's just a completely new range of colours.

[left]If you are looking for some inspiration to practice with the bow this weekend, check out this version of Maxim Vengerov and Bassoina Amorosa playing Czardas. Each time I watch it, I still can't believe what I'm hearing from the incredible Roman Patkolo[font="lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#333333"]. [/color][/size][/font][/left]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0qXSO7Z-Q

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

I just had a look through the website which led me to the videos. It all looks very professional and is easy to use. Great job Geoff! I'm getting back into db again after taking a break due to injury. My bass is getting a new setup and these videos are just the thing to help reduce or eliminate the chance of future injury. Keep up the great work. :)

Edited by TPJ

Brilliant videos Geoff! This is genuinely top quality instruction. Really like that you explain how to play, then support it with saying why that works. Wish you had been my teacher when I first started - a lot of the things you're saying really resonate with me, but I had to find them out the hard way.....

Especially dug your talk of 1-1 ascending or 4-4 descending shifting. I'm picky about this, but for finger replacement reasons. If you're playing G on the low E string, decent hand shape means your 4th finger is over the A, so you can just replace 4 with 1 and proper hand shape now gives you a B under your 4th finger. Took me years to riddle that one out, and you're just dishing it out for free!

@Pete, [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMKftB_aOM[/media]
Let me know what you think ;- ) Some interesting ideas on using the double basses capabilities, IMO :D
I recommend you buy the Duncan McTier's 3 albums of Amazon.. You'll have plenty of some of the finest music to listen to!

Edited by FLoydElgar

No matter how much you think you know there's always something new to learn - great set of videos Geoff - setting the standard in professionalism !! Hopefully will inspire others to put their stuff out there ....FLoyd .....? [quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1378035668' post='2194892']
Geoff I was thinking you should touch on 3 octave scales :) it'd be a good lesson :D
[/quote]