Why become a member? ×

New Youtube Double Bass Lessons

geoffbassist

Back on topic I have just watched the new lesson in todays email, lots of work for me there regarding shifting. My walking is improving after spending half an hour each night with the metronome and the pages I printed from the toolbox, I think I might be ready for the harder version now! Quite satisfying once I nailed the F on the g string! Which finger is best for that shift Geoff? Ta

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1378035668' post='2194892']
Geoff I was thinking you should touch on 3 octave scales :) it'd be a good lesson :D
[/quote]

Hey Floyd, I bet you go great at the Academy.
Were you having lessons with Jeremy Watt? I had some lessons from him when he was playing in Opera North. What a great guy/player!

The 3 octave scales thing I'm planning on covering. The next thing that will help will help will be a transition into thumb position lesson I have planned and of course a thumb position lesson. I also have a neck heel lesson already filmed that I think is crucial for understanding shifting.

So it will be:
Neck Heel Lesson,
Transition in TP Lesson,
TP lesson....... then perhaps one tying it all together and talking about good fingering options for 2 and 3 octave scales.

Thanks for all the support guys. It feels really exposed releasing videos of yourself, so it's great to hear they are helping people. There are so many good ways to play the double bass, I just wanted to share I have learnt and what's worked for me.

Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1378492381' post='2201189']
Back on topic I have just watched the new lesson in todays email, lots of work for me there regarding shifting. My walking is improving after spending half an hour each night with the metronome and the pages I printed from the toolbox, I think I might be ready for the harder version now! Quite satisfying once I nailed the F on the g string! Which finger is best for that shift Geoff? Ta
[/quote]

Hey Pete,
If I'm playing an F Blues low down on the neck then the shift up to F on the G string. The little finger is a great choice. That way I also have the note Eb (on the G string, 1st finger) and the note C (on the d string, 4th finger) under the hand shape so can have some easy F7 arpeggio note choices.
I use a system to organise the fingerboard from D on the G string to the G harmonic using the neck heel, that would really explain your choices. It should be out next week or the week after.

Hope that helps and I'm made up that you are using my lessons to practice! Half an hour each night is a great amount when you are doing it regularly.

Cheers Geoff

Thanks Geoff that's cool I'm with you there, I am struggling for strength in my pinky right up near the heel so I have been using my third finger as a sort of beginning of thumb position, probably running before I can jump, lol.

Back from tonights practice, I have just managed the 4 notes per bar including the High Fs and the slides down from the C to Bb and the F on the A string to the C, if I'm doing it right? I couldn't read two years ago now I'm getting frustrated at the parts I can't sight read because im needing to look at the neck for the bigger shifts! :D I'm ok at 100bpm on the two notes per bar but dropping to 80 for the four notes version.

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1378492033' post='2201183']
..anyway lets not get into that on Geoff's Thread !
[/quote]
Yeah, sorry totally OT!
I'm really pleased Geoff has put so much effort into making these videos and surprised that they're completely free to view!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1378496184' post='2201246']
Thanks Geoff that's cool I'm with you there, I am struggling for strength in my pinky right up near the heel so I have been using my third finger as a sort of beginning of thumb position, probably running before I can jump, lol.

Back from tonights practice, I have just managed the 4 notes per bar including the High Fs and the slides down from the C to Bb and the F on the A string to the C, if I'm doing it right? I couldn't read two years ago now I'm getting frustrated at the parts I can't sight read because im needing to look at the neck for the bigger shifts! :D I'm ok at 100bpm on the two notes per bar but dropping to 80 for the four notes version.
[/quote]

I would check you are supporting your little finger with the all of the other fingers as the pressure/effort required to push the string down shouldn't be an issue.
I know there are players who use the third finger below the G harmonic, but I would avoid it until you really explore using the 'standard' 3 fingers so you can make a conscious choice about what works best for you. It sounds like you are really going for it Pete! Great work.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"I'm really pleased Geoff has put so much effort into making these videos and surprised that they're completely free to view!" Thanks mtroun I'm glad you like them.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Have a great weekend! cheers Geoff[/font][/color]

Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1379000607' post='2207602']
Thanks for that...
Haven't checked them out yet
I'm fairly new to DB
So I will check them out soon

Cheers
[/quote]

Great stuff, I hope you enjoy them. Let me know if you have any questions or lesson requests.

BTW I have just released a new video today looking at how to improve your time and issues surrounding rhythm and tempo in walking bass lines.
Cheers Geoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8MaYNr1kGQ

Another example of what an excellent teacher you are Geoff. I think people can take a lot from your lessons. On this one, I especially enjoyed how you remind the student to think about the triplet feel and the final thought about locking in with another instrument when you start to loose focus. Very useful stuff mate.

These are excellent lessons Geoff - really clearly presented. What I really like is that you get to the point quickly and illustrate every point that you're making on the bass itself. Other videos that I've seen often involve the presenter standing there, bass in hand, talking for 5 mins before they even play a note, which can be a bit frustrating. But for "time challenged" people like me your lessons are perfect.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks tinyd and Rabbie I really do appreciate your feedback! Its so good to hear that they are helping.

@tinyd I didn't want them to be videos of me playing and never getting round to teaching, but I think in some I could play more to show how to do it, rather than explain. It's hard to strike a balance, but I feel I have a better idea of what works after releasing this first bunch and I'm looking forward to filming more.

Thanks again for your great comments. I'm planning on releasing a new one next week.
Cheers Geoff

Edited by geoffbassist

Thanks for the lessons Geoff, I'm slowly working my way through them but on first pass through I've already picked up a couple of technical points that are helping (supporting the little finger for example).

I'm also using your exercise from the e-book, especially the studies in fourths, fifths and octaves, to support my quest to get my thumb moving in the right position rather than lagging behind up the neck.

Thanks again,

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1379099158' post='2208764']
Thanks for the lessons Geoff, I'm slowly working my way through them but on first pass through I've already picked up a couple of technical points that are helping (supporting the little finger for example).

I'm also using your exercise from the e-book, especially the studies in fourths, fifths and octaves, to support my quest to get my thumb moving in the right position rather than lagging behind up the neck.

Thanks again,

Steve
[/quote]

Glad it's helping Steve and thanks for the feedback. I hope you enjoy the exercises. I find the 4th's really tricky, but well worth doing.

@nottswarwick a huge +1 on Pete's advice to get started. Most bassists use 3/4 size and that's definitely what I would suggest.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1379352423' post='2211619']
I am having a wrist Op tomorrow so I will have to be a passive learner for a few weeks, :(
[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that Pete, good luck I hope it goes smoothly.
Back in 2008 I had carpel tunnel problems and ended up having the relief op on both hands. It worked out really well for me in the end, but was a big worry at the time. I hope you get up and running soon. :-)

....on a side note whenever I do take a break from playing I always worry I will forget it all, but it actually helps refresh me and gives my playing a boost.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1379352423' post='2211619']
I am having a wrist Op tomorrow so I will have to be a passive learner for a few weeks, :(
[/quote]

Hey Pete, hope the op goes well
and wish you a speedy recovery - then you can get back to playing again :)

Marc