Why become a member? ×

New Youtube Double Bass Lessons

geoffbassist

Hi Guys,
I've been working flat out for a while now on my new online double bass lessons. Check them out here: [url="https://www.youtube.com/user/DiscoverDoubleBass"]https://www.youtube....coverDoubleBass[/url]

I set up a play list so you get a better overview of what there is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUXgtLdATSU6LQLd6Qlp0bQ/videos?feature=guide&view=1

I would love any feedback you have, good or bad.
Hope you enjoy them,

Geoff

Edited by geoffbassist

Just watched the how to stand with the bass video, brilliant and already learnt a few things to try even though I have watched other clips trying to explain it. I had lost interest with the idea of learning online as most of the clips I had watched were poorly filmed with sketchy ways of talking through often a lot of waffle about nothing! Yours look good and you are clear and concise, even for a numpty like me. I will be back for more as soon as possible (out for a curry tonight, motorbike ride tomorrow, practice thursday, function gig friday, you get the picture :lol:

I have saved your site to my favourites too, really looking forward to lots more time spent watching and learning :)

They are great. Your very amiable and easy to follow. No waffle and no ego. Vids are very well produced filmed. The standing technique made me extend my pin by about 1 1/2". Much better.

Two questions.

Ive got a Stagg EUB and its very difficult to rest it so it sits unaided with a bit of thumb support which doesnt help when trying to relax my arch. Perhaps a vid showing EUB technique?

Also you emphasise the use of the ends of your fingers on the left hand. Im sure I read or saw some where that using the pad is another proper technique? (Which is what I use).

Really enjoying them Jeff. Much appreciated. Cant believe your throwing these out for free!!

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1377036555' post='2182654']
They are great. Your very amiable and easy to follow. No waffle and no ego. Vids are very well produced filmed. The standing technique made me extend my pin by about 1 1/2". Much better.

Two questions.

Ive got a Stagg EUB and its very difficult to rest it so it sits unaided with a bit of thumb support which doesnt help when trying to relax my arch. Perhaps a vid showing EUB technique?

Also you emphasise the use of the ends of your fingers on the left hand. Im sure I read or saw some where that using the pad is another proper technique? (Which is what I use).

Really enjoying them Jeff. Much appreciated. Cant believe your throwing these out for free!!

A
[/quote]

Im really glad you enjoyed the lessons, thanks for the feedback. I already have loads more ready and plan on releasing one every week or two.

Your suggestion of a lesson discussing eub's is a good one. I think the main issue to overcome with each EUB instrument is the problem of balance. Often there have to be compromises in technique to actually balance them, which as long as you are aware of doing them is ok. The main thing is not to develop the habit of holding the full weight of the bass with your left hand when you are playing.
It's also really is dependant on body shape... your own and the EUB's. I think Mr Bassman, aka Keith Jevons could help with this subject as he really knows his EUB's and is a great player.

The left hand finger tips is slightly different for different people, but the main thing is not to collapse at the knuckle. It is the tip, but is not the flesh immediately touching the nail, but round a bit, just before you reach the fleshy pad that you have your finger print on. As I'm typing this response I realised its the part of the finger that touches the computer keyboard keys and the arch of the finger is very similar. You dont touch type with the flats of the fingers, or the very extreme part directly under the nail. There is a gentle arch of the finger and the where it curves to become the tip is the part that touches the strings.
I hope this helps, it probably would have been easier to post a photo :-)

I just wanted to thank everyone for watching the lessons and If anyone else has any future subject suggestions, please send them my way.
Cheers Geoff

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1377037921' post='2182674']
Im really glad you enjoyed the lessons, thanks for the feedback. I already have loads more ready and plan on releasing one every week or two.

Your suggestion of a lesson discussing eub's is a good one. I think the main issue to overcome with each EUB instrument is the problem of balance. Often there have to be compromises in technique to actually balance them, which as long as you are aware of doing them is ok. The main thing is not to develop the habit of holding the full weight of the bass with your left hand when you are playing.
It's also really is dependant on body shape... your own and the EUB's. I think Mr Bassman, aka Keith Jevons could help with this subject as he really knows his EUB's and is a great player.

[b]The left hand finger tips is slightly different for different people, but the main thing is not to collapse at the knuckle. It is the tip, but is not the flesh immediately touching the nail, but round a bit, just before you reach the fleshy pad that you have your finger print on. As I'm typing this response I realised its the part of the finger that touches the computer keyboard keys and the arch of the finger is very similar. You dont touch type with the flats of the fingers, or the very extreme part directly under the nail. There is a gentle arch of the finger and the where it curves to become the tip is the part that touches the strings.
I hope this helps, it probably would have been easier to post a photo :-)[/b]

I just wanted to thank everyone for watching the lessons and If anyone else has any future subject suggestions, please send them my way.
Cheers Geoff
[/quote]

Finish the arch so your fingers are at 45deg to the finger board? :D

A

I really enjoyed the lessons and the website too. Excellent resource for beginning double bass. You are a great educator: your style is easy-going and friendly, yet always knowledgeable, enthusiastic and never patronising. Online learning is here to stay and I think you have devised a wonderful site for those who want to learn the double bass but may not have the money or time for a tutor just yet. Really very well done Geoff.

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1377092854' post='2183242']
I really enjoyed the lessons and the website too. Excellent resource for beginning double bass. You are a great educator: your style is easy-going and friendly, yet always knowledgeable, enthusiastic and never patronising. Online learning is here to stay and I think you have devised a wonderful site for those who want to learn the double bass but may not have the money or time for a tutor just yet. Really very well done Geoff.
[/quote]

Thats such great feedback Rabbie, I'm really thrilled you like it!
Cheers Geoff

Hey Geoff I just watched the walking bass Part 1 video - excellent. Would be great if I could download to a portable device (eg iPad) for journeys to/from work etc. Do you have any plans to make this an app or even put the series on instructional DVDs?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1377118782' post='2183711']
Hey Geoff I just watched the walking bass Part 1 video - excellent. Would be great if I could download to a portable device (eg iPad) for journeys to/from work etc. Do you have any plans to make this an app or even put the series on instructional DVDs?
[/quote]

Hey Clarky,
thanks for the feedback, they are both ideas I'm considering. It would be cool to be able to download the lessons to watch online and a DVD would be good too.
Current ideas include detailed transcriptions of the music used in the lessons as well as backing tracks (upcoming lessons use them more), a method book, an online course with videos, backing tracks and sheet music....it really depends what people want so please chip in if you have any ideas. Im also writing some articles which I want to get published and have some other ideas I'm perusing.

At the moment I'm really fine tuning the website and finding out whats working to decide what to do next. I have a lot more video lessons ready to go and will be releasing them regularly. I want to improve the content and work out what topics are popular.

I will use the feedback to help choose other topics, or discuss the current ones in more detail if necessary. I also really fancy answering viewers questions in the videos, so if you have any lesson suggestions or specific questions, please drop me a PM here or an email at the bottom of this page: http://www.discoverdoublebass.com/about/

thanks for the support everyone :-)
Geoff