Why become a member? ×

Boss OC-2 Serial Database - Please add yours

Sibob

Hi guys,

First of all, why just the Boss OC-2? Well simply because I love the thing.
How would you fancy helping to compile a list of serials and dates, theres a decoder here:

http://www.stompboxzone.com/decoder/

Although happy to do that for you from your serial number.
Please add your serial numbers with date, name and location to this thread, or find me on Instagram or Twitter (@simonrpoulton). Similaly, if you know anyone on socials that might be able to contribute, please spread the word with #OC2Database

Please find the database here for more info: http://simonpoulton....number-database

Please note that this is nothing more than a labour of love, if you check the rest of my blog you'll notice plenty of bass player interviews, pedal talk, with my Twitter & Instagram largely being the same.

For those who didn't see on my Instagram, here's my collection:

2who2et.png

There are near-mint boxed examples of all iterations of the OC-2 through the years (although one of the few Boss pedals to have no circuit change....they all sound the same basically), plus two extra un-boxed Octavers in the front.

Back row L-R:
Black Label Japan Octaver, Black Label Japan Octaver, Black Label Japan Octave (lighter paint), Black Label Taiwan Octave (darker paint), Silver Label Taiwan Octave. Maybe they'll release a Wazacraft OC-2 that I can add to the collection

Many thanks
Si

Edited by Sibob

From the other thread...

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1377283990' post='2185902']
Good idea Si,

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Octave - Sept 1987 - Japanese Serial 823153[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Octaver - April 1982 - Japanese - Serial 171300[/font]

Since I believe April 1982 was the first month of production, I am desperate to find out how early my pedal is! Not bad for £20 off Gumtree!
[/quote]

[quote name='paulo m' timestamp='1377679726' post='2190142']
Hi everyone' i have 218100 which i believe is Aug 82.. sounds wonderful should i keep this over the... mxr'or aguilar?
[/quote]

Great, added to the spreadsheet :)
If you move it on, let me know ;)

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1378222380' post='2197271']
I like your style, how does it compare to the real thing?

Cheers
Si
[/quote]
Very, very close.:-)

https://soundcloud.com/paul_5/sets/oc2-clone-faux-c2

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1378223456' post='2197282']
For those of you who have multiples of them...can I ask why? Do they sound different or is it just a collectors thing?
[/quote]

I've had 4 OC-2's through my hands, I sold the first on this forum then regretted it, so bought another from this forum. That still lives on my board to this day.

I then saw one for a good price on gumtree, bought it, sold it straight on.

Cue the 4th one, MEGA bargain price on gumtree, snapped it up and that is my April 1982 dated OC-2 which I'm probably just gonna keep nice and tidy and not use.

They've all been japanes, and to my ears, they've all sounded the same.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1378223895' post='2197285']
Very, very close.:-)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/paul_5/sets/oc2-clone-faux-c2"]https://soundcloud.c...2-clone-faux-c2[/url]
[/quote]

Very cool, sounds great!! :-D. Gotta make me one of them haha.
[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1378223456' post='2197282']
For those of you who have multiples of them...can I ask why? Do they sound different or is it just a collectors thing?
[/quote]

Partly a collector thing, partly a 'what if they all break' overeaction kinda thing :)
I use them so frequently, pretty much everyone musical situation, that I like rotating them a bit so as not to wear them out. OCD? Almost certainly, but hey, we all have our vices :)

Database upto date, keep 'em coming :)

Si

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I picked up a new one today locally.

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"][b]Octaver[/b], serial number [/color][/font][b]451200,[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] produced [/font][/color][b]August 1984[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]. Made in [b]Japan[/b].[/font][/color]

Edited by deanovw

Thanks Noirbass!
Right, mega update is live.
Including all the above additions I've missed recently, as well as unit numbers for the Taiwanese models :)

Plus I've added my latest one :-P

Please do keep adding yours, and if you've purchased it recently, please do check the database in case its already added and I need to change the owner ;)

Si

• 3 weeks later...