Why become a member? ×

Boss OC-2 Serial Database - Please add yours

Sibob

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1490289393' post='3264015']
I've shifted my earliest one on now, someone else is enjoying it
[/quote]

Yeah I've tweaked the format so there are no owners (impossible to keep track of that right!!).
Now it's just 'location when listed'

Si

I have one but no serial number to be found :(
Is there a way to at least identify an era/country of manufacture?

[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20170325_083721_zpsozlavs6t.jpg" class="ipsImage" />
[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20170325_083904_zpsuwn3tr4z.jpg" class="ipsImage" />
[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20170325_083726_zpsyuxpw1tl.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

If it helps, when removing the baseplate, there is a transparent plastic sheet covering a big busy circuitboard (dead technical me)

I bought it on here described as 80s Japanese, but not that bothered as I didn't pay over the odds, and it sounds awesome.

Edited by Roland Rock

Interesting, how did they qualify it as being Japanese? I.e. Did you take the bottom label off or did they?
If you did, what colour was it?
Silver is always Taiwan, black could be Japanese or Taiwan.
Could you do a photo of the PCB? (Ie the baseplate removed?!)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1490470808' post='3265404']
Interesting, how did they qualify it as being Japanese? I.e. Did you take the bottom label off or did they?
If you did, what colour was it?
Silver is always Taiwan, black could be Japanese or Taiwan.
Could you do a photo of the PCB? (Ie the baseplate removed?!)

Si
[/quote]

Thanks for the interest. I can't remember whether the label was missing; I wouldn't have taken it off unless it was hanging off in a vexing manner. I looked up the original thread and it was described as "early 80's" - the assumption that it was Japanese was mine.

[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20170326_093908_zps0sxi7ak4.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20170326_093934_zpsnbpqmkjh.jpg" class="ipsImage" />
Spotted "Japan" on the power socket:
[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20170326_093919_zpsleskj9cr.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20170326_094003_zps83hf6ilq.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Edited by Roland Rock

Looking at the original listing again, it seems to be different to the one pictured. See how the paint on the 'Octave' has worn off on my one but not on the one in the listing! Perhaps he sent one of his other six!

[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20170326_111231_zpssmyrsir3.png[/IMG]

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1490603797' post='3266218']
I'd love to contribute to this glorious celebration of geekery. It's a beautiful thing...

Made in Taiwan, serial no. EH13419, February 1995. It currently resides in Bristol.

My OCT1 knob is missing though...don't suppose anyone's got a spare one?!
[/quote]

Thanks, added! :)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1490604283' post='3266226']
Yup, it's currently sat happily in my signal chain. Thanks again!
[/quote]

Yours is actually already registered on the database as I think it used to belong to Wooks of these parts?! If you weren't aware, yours is the earliest one I've seen, April 1982, one month older than my earliest Octaver :)

Si

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1490522415' post='3265621']
Thanks for the interest. I can't remember whether the label was missing; I wouldn't have taken it off unless it was hanging off in a vexing manner. I looked up the original thread and it was described as "early 80's" - the assumption that it was Japanese was mine.

Spotted "Japan" on the power socket:

[/quote]

Interesting, I think I'd probably assume at this point that it's Japanese, as you say, due to the power socket. However, Taiwan labeled pedals have been known to contain Japanese PCBs, and so it may be an older Japanese part in a Taiwan pedal. Even if that's the case, it would certainly make it a transition pedal :)
I've marked it on the 'Lost serials' part of the database

Cheers for embracing the geek in me haha
Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1490607143' post='3266267']

Thanks, added! :)

Yours is actually already registered on the database as I think it used to belong to Wooks of these parts?! If you weren't aware, yours is the earliest one I've seen, April 1982, one month older than my earliest Octaver :)

Si
[/quote]

Wow, that's pretty cool! You ever tried to contact Janek Gwizdala about his? I imagine he has some pretty early examples in his collection!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1490607959' post='3266283']
Wow, that's pretty cool! You ever tried to contact Janek Gwizdala about his? I imagine he has some pretty early examples in his collection!
[/quote]

Yeah, tried a little while ago, but failed.
Definitely on a mission again though, so will try again :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1490607365' post='3266272']

Interesting, I think I'd probably assume at this point that it's Japanese, as you say, due to the power socket. However, Taiwan labeled pedals have been known to contain Japanese PCBs, and so it may be an older Japanese part in a Taiwan pedal. Even if that's the case, it would certainly make it a transition pedal :)
I've marked it on the 'Lost serials' part of the database

Cheers for embracing the geek in me haha
Si
[/quote]

Thanks for the info - Good to know

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1490608066' post='3266284']

Yeah, tried a little while ago, but failed.
Definitely on a mission again though, so will try again :)

Si
[/quote]

It'll be interesting to see if the database throws up any earlier ones!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='fuzzonaut' timestamp='1491330041' post='3272210']
Nice!

I've got one.

It's made in Taiwan, has a BOSS Sticker on the back that reads "10.2001" and there's this number: JO 75749.

It lives in Bern, Switzerland.
[/quote]

Cheers, added.
The serial puts it as June 2001, slightly at odds with the sticker (not seen a dated sticker before), interesting.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1491335731' post='3272274']
Cheers, added.
The serial puts it as June 2001, slightly at odds with the sticker (not seen a dated sticker before), interesting.

Si
[/quote]

Well, I never checked the serial.
Here, if you want to have a look.

[attachment=242437:DSC03410.jpg]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='fuzzonaut' timestamp='1491427595' post='3273036']
Well, I never checked the serial.
Here, if you want to have a look.

[attachment=242437:DSC03410.jpg]
[/quote]

Very interesting, yeah, never seen a date sticker before, on an OC-2 or other Boss pedal......wonder if any other Boss pedals have them.

For the wider thread, and those who don't follow me on Instagram, here's my little collection (will also add to the initial post):

[size=4][font=inherit][font=inherit]There are near-mint boxed examples of all iterations of the OC-2 through the years (although one of the few Boss pedals to have no circuit change....they all sound the same basically), plus two extra un-boxed Octavers in the front.[/font][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=inherit][b][font=inherit]Back row L-R:[/font][/b]
[font=inherit]Black Label Japan Octaver, Black Label Japan Octaver, Black Label Japan Octave (lighter paint), Black Label Taiwan Octave (darker paint), Silver Label Taiwan Octave. [/font][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=inherit][font=inherit]Maybe they'll release a Wazacraft OC-2 that I can add to the collection haha.[/font][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=inherit][font=inherit]Si[/font][/font][/size]

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1506882081' post='3381768']
Japan Octave 505500, March 1985.

Currently residing in Sheffield but about to appear in the For Sale section! ☹️
[/quote]

Added to the database :)

Si

p.s.
Don't sell it ;)