Why become a member? ×

Mike Dirnt "road worn" P-Bass

dwh87

Something "new" from Fender. Was there a gap in the market for this? It has a couple subtle changes from his old one like the added forearm contour. He also played one at Reading and Leeds festival tonight.

Here is the sweet talk from Fender

Fender and hard-hitting Green Day bassist Mike Dirnt join forces once again to bring you the Mike Dirnt Road Worn Precision Bass. With original-era 1951 Precision styling, its ash body wears a 3-Color Sunburst or White Blonde lacquer finish worn to perfection to simulate years of hard-played onstage glory.

Other distinctive features include a comfortable forearm contour, a volcanic custom vintage-style '59 split single-coil pickup, side-mounted output jack and custom Mike Dirnt neck plate. The maple neck has a thick "C"-shaped profile and a classic '51-style Telecaster headstock shape, with a 9.5"-radius maple or rosewood fingerboard with 20 medium jumbo frets and black (maple board) or aged white (rosewood board) dot position inlays. The bass also has a single-ply black pickguard, two knurled chrome flat-top control knobs (volume, tone) and special '70s vintage-style tuners.

It doesn't look particularly "road worn" to me... If I am going to pay for that look I think they need to try a little harder. Sounds like they may have changed the pickup from the description which is a good thing, the previous model had a fairly low output.
They have always had the forearm contour though.
Road worn or not these are a cracking bass for the money, especially if you have big mitts cos the neck is mahoosive!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1377297334' post='2186103']
Those are the colour combinations he played this eve - white/maple & sunburst/rosewood. Think both looked really good. Only thing that puts me off of them is if they`re as heavy as the original MD Sigs.
[/quote]

Oh yes, I forgot about that! You certainly know you have it on!

I had a MIM sunburst one. Monster sound, but monster weight. That resulted in me moving it on, which was a shame because I think they look great. Mind you, mine had some build issues, the bridge was not screwed down fully, one of the screws in the control plate mainly located into air and the scratch plate was badly finished around the controls.

are these MIM? I think the white /maple looks cool. Wonder if they've improved the weight ?

[quote name='dwh87' timestamp='1377295006' post='2186059']
Something "new" from Fender. Was there a gap in the market for this? It has a couple subtle changes from his old one like the added forearm contour. He also played one at Reading and Leeds festival tonight.

Here is the sweet talk from Fender

Fender and hard-hitting Green Day bassist Mike Dirnt join forces once again to bring you the Mike Dirnt Road Worn Precision Bass. With original-era 1951 Precision styling, its ash body wears a 3-Color Sunburst or White Blonde lacquer finish worn to perfection to simulate years of hard-played onstage glory.

Other distinctive features include a comfortable forearm contour, a volcanic custom vintage-style '59 split single-coil pickup, side-mounted output jack and custom Mike Dirnt neck plate. The maple neck has a thick "C"-shaped profile and a classic '51-style Telecaster headstock shape, with a 9.5"-radius maple or rosewood fingerboard with 20 medium jumbo frets and black (maple board) or aged white (rosewood board) dot position inlays. The bass also has a single-ply black pickguard, two knurled chrome flat-top control knobs (volume, tone) and special '70s vintage-style tuners.

[/quote]

Hmmm, if the sunburst/maple one has a clean routing under that pickguard... that would be a very tasty bass indeed.

[quote name='ChickenKiev' timestamp='1377381420' post='2187007']
How much are they charging for the 'road worn' versions? Because I could get a bass to that level of road worn in about three weeks.
[/quote]

I`d hope they`ll have the sense to put this along the lines of the Nate Mendel Sig, which is also part of the Road Worn family, but which also doesn`t show much fake wear. They`re about £700. I think the majority of the "wear" will be on the neck making it nice and comfortable to play. That for me is the star point of the Road Worns, the necks.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1377410531' post='2187138']
I`d hope they`ll have the sense to put this along the lines of the Nate Mendel Sig, which is also part of the Road Worn family, but which also doesn`t show much fake wear. They`re about £700. I think the majority of the "wear" will be on the neck making it nice and comfortable to play. That for me is the star point of the Road Worns, the necks.
[/quote]

I've seen them advertised for £1067...

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-basses/pid30297/cid682/fender-road-worn-mike-dirnt-p-bass.asp"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-basses/pid30297/cid682/fender-road-worn-mike-dirnt-p-bass.asp[/url]