Why become a member? ×

Stagg or Palatino/Harley Benton?

RussFM

So I've decided to learn to play the upright, as it would suit one of my bands and I've always wanted to play. I drive a small car and live in a small house, so it has to be electric, and budget doesn't stretch to NS or Baby Bass. So, do I go for the Stagg, or the Harley Benton? I prefer the look of the HB, having a DB shape to it rather than a stick, but I like the auxiliary input the Stagg has. The HB is more upgradable than the Stagg too.

I'd want to learn to play bow, but I think that's possible on both?

Has anyone played both, and have a preference? Or does anyone have one or the other and know the pros and cons?

I'd be buying the HB blind, but I could at least try out the Eastcoast version of the Stagg in PMT.

The used Stagg for £200 on here is a bargain! The Stagg is really portable and every time without fail that I have plugged it in it has sounded great even at gigs where my Stingray sounded poor for whatever reason, the other thing to concider is that you will buy a DB not long after, try and find a member here who hasn't! :D

I went for the HB because I felt it would be more like a real DB to get to grips with as it's inevitable that the real deal will follow.
The HB has a tighter radius to the fingerboard (I think from research, I haven't played a Stagg), a taller DB style bridge with adjustable feet and a longer afterlength of string, all of which help to make it feel and play more like a DB than the Stagg. The neck is also angled out away from the body like a DB but not quite as far which if bowing seated will help it feel and play more like a DB, also the body is chambered which help give it a more 'woody' tone. It's also a little more DB shaped with it's flared bouts and scroll top.
I didn't like the on board pre amp so I just bypassed it by soldering the two wires from the peizo straight to the output jack and it's loads better, lots more low down thump, I can just plug straight into my Ashdown mini-rig and it sounds really good but some amps will need you to use some sort of pre to sort the impedance problems of peizo pickups.
All that said, the Stagg appears to be a mighty fine instrument and has lots of good points, I'd imagine you'll be happy with whichever one you go for.
There was a side by side comparison of the two on youtube which was helpful when I bought mine. I'd also ignore a lot of the 'common problems' with both instruments as the Stagg doesn't seem to have any of the old 'issues' and my HB didn't need any of the 'online fixes' doing so it would appear QC has improved or something.
I lowered the action at the nut on mine which seems to be the norm on any new instrument which hasn't had a proper set up, and I also bent the decorative scroll of wire on the tailpiece as two bits of wire are resting against each other but not fixed, this could be the ringing down there that alot of folks talk about, I did this before even playing it as it just made me feel better knowing they couldn't vibrate, it may not have been a problem.
Anyway, enough waffling, go for whichever one you fancy, there's not a lot between them.

Edited by Maude

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1378029800' post='2194776']
The used Stagg for £200 on here is a bargain! The Stagg is really portable and every time without fail that I have plugged it in it has sounded great even at gigs where my Stingray sounded poor for whatever reason, the other thing to concider is that you will buy a DB not long after, try and find a member here who hasn't! :D
[/quote]

I won't.
EUB all the way.
Why?

Silent practice
Portability
No feedback
I can use fx with it
Can jam along using a Pandora & MP3 player

Game over for DB for what I use it for. Unlikely ever to play Arco, so that's not an issue.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1378061633' post='2195367']
I won't.
EUB all the way.
Why?
[/quote]

One main reason why ............ the spectacle of it :D .

I went through all that before I bought a DB, trying to find a real reason why I needed one over the EUB, there weren't many. But it's the best thing I've ever bought, though sadly the EUB hasn't been played since I got the DB.
Also no reason you can't jam along using a gadget, I practice our set with the bass and my phone plugged into my Line 6 pedal board, and while it's plugged in I am tempted into using effects :ph34r: .
But yes, the feedback thing is a big disadvantage.

Well I've just downsized my car from a big estate to something I wouldn't be able to transport a 4x10 in, so I definitely won't be buying a DB anytime soon, the choice of EUB will need to last me at least 5 years before my next car choice is swayed by the need for more space. Although the Stagg on sale here is now a massive bargain at £160 it is 150miles from me and has no case, so I am tempted by the HB at the moment, I like the look of it more, and it does seem as close to traditional as a budget EUB is likely to get! The preamp doesn't concern me too much if I can bypass it, but the headphone socket is still useful so we'll see. I can see myself buying something early this week whatever I decide!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1378064804' post='2195459']
What has 5 strings got to do with it?
[/quote]

This- whilst I'm aware that 5 string DBs exist in both BEADG and EADGC tuning, I'm sure I've never actually seen one. Whereas EUBs in a 5 String format are more commonplace. So my point is: availability.

I wanted a 5, and one that met all the other stipulations. For me, in my circumstances, an EUB was a no-brainer.

Well, I've ordered the HB! None in stock so could be a short while before it arrives. Putting seats down in the car doesn't bother me, I couldn't fit bass cases in the boot of my estate and I only have a three door now so back seat isn't an option either! Looking forward to learning to play now!

• 1 year later...

I've also got myself a Harley Benton to experiment with, and as I got a it third-hand it certainly ticks the box as a cheap and cheerful introduction to playing upright. (And yes, if I keep going much further with it I'm going to start wanting a real DB. Better start saving now...)

Anyone tried playing one arco? (As with many EUBs I'm not sure the string spacing on the bridge is good enough for arco, but maybe I can modify (bodge :unsure: ) the bridge)

David.

A few years back, I bought a Stagg, and I've never looked back since :)

It was never quite like an acoustic DB
and from what everyone else who owns or plays both tells me
an EUB can never quite feel and sound like a DB

But as a first foray into the world of upright bass
and for portability, then an EUB is a fab instrument in its' own right
and the most convenient alternative for many players

I've now got a lovely Eminence EUB, and that's the closest sounding and feeling EUB I've come accross
My Stagg was a brilliant starting point, and many people continue to love & play theirs for years
I haven't tried a HB myself, but I'm sure they're fairly similar

Good luck in your new venture
But beware, as others have said - you may well end up wanting an acoustic DB - even if you can't transport them around easily
You may even just feel the need to play a DB after a while with your EUB
....It's just a bug, which bites and won't let go

A few tips from me. My Stagg came with awful strings - change them asap
Strings - now there's a whole new topic, which is worthy of a forum all of its' own
and if you intend to bow, that can have a huge effect on which strings you should opt for.....

Don't try to play your DB the same way you play a bass guitar
You won't be able to play those Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden riffs straight away! ;)

Get some lessons - even one or 2 to get you going, and give you a couple of pointers
before like me, you develop too many bad habits

Lastly, enjoy! :)
It really is a whole new world of playing

Let us know how you're getting on

EDIT: To anyone thinking of trying a foray into the world of DB
A stagg is a great starting point. A second-hand one on here will set you back around 250 notes
and you'll easily get that money back, should you decide to sell later

Edited by Marc S