Why become a member? ×

I'm looking for a 3/4 double bass - any useful suggestions

Marc S

Just copied and pasted from my email

[b] Message from Gedo Musik Instrumente
> > Hi Pete,Thanks for your inquiry.We cam make you the following offer:Double-Bass antique-finish half-carved 799.00 EuroThomastik Spirocore weich 139.00 Euroadjustable-bridge 110.00 Euroshipping-costs: 95.00 Euro===============================================normal price: 1143.00 Eurospecial price: 1050.00 Euro all incl.We would be happy, if this offer meets your requirements.Have a nice evening!Best regardsDaniel[/b]

Thanks again guys,
Still watching an Antoni Debut on ebay
Are they any good?

If not, I'm going to have to save some more dosh
But I'm actually getting too excited about buying a DB now!
I'm dreaming about owning one
I haven't been this excited in ages....
.... what's wrong with me? ;)

Marc

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1378322386' post='2198685']
But I'm actually getting too excited about buying a DB now!
I'm dreaming about owning one
I haven't been this excited in ages....
.... what's wrong with me? ;)

Marc
[/quote]

Just wait until you get one.. its [i]the[/i] best instrument ever. Haven't even touched my bass guitar since getting my upright.

I was exactly the same Marc, I'm starting to think I prefer playing upright to elec bass, my next band will probably be an upright only gig I reckon but I'm glad I can fit it into my current covers band, in fact I'm squeezing more and more songs onto the upright where possible. Shame its normally stagg live but it just works plus everything I'm learning on db is easier on eub. I have been watching Geoffs youtube lessons and I am really starting to play proper upright style on the stagg rather than elec bass style the more I practice on db at home. :)

Fingers crossed something comes up soon for you.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1378492310' post='2201187']
...there you go !! Sorted ! ;)
[/quote]

Sorted indeed
Tried it, loved it & bought it on Sunday
Wish I didn't have to go to work today - so I could be at home, playing it :)

Oh for more free time!

Thanks again folks :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1378828342' post='2205218']
I'm glad she's going to be played and enjoyed. It was a pleasure meeting Marc and I couldn't have wished for a finer new custodian for the old girl.
[/quote]

Thank you so much Sarah
Nice to meet a fellow South Wales based double bass player too
I'm glad you decided to let me take her off your hands
Indeed, she is being played and much appreciated :)

Now for some strings more suited to my style of playing
I think I'm going to opt for Innovation Silver slaps

.... and must start thinking of reasonably priced pickups too
I've seen some dual pickups on ebay
which consist of a bridge pickup and a slap pickup, fitted behind the fingerboard...

Oh, and I need a stand.... and a carrying case....
But I'm broke! ;) lol

Marc

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1378828966' post='2205237']
.... and must start thinking of reasonably priced pickups too
I've seen some dual pickups on ebay
which consist of a bridge pickup and a slap pickup, fitted behind the fingerboard...
Marc
[/quote]

Ive got one of those pickups.... and to be honest Im not all that happy with it. Its ok, but for me the slap tends to over shadow the note far too much. Im currently experimenting with putting pieces of rubber under the fingerboard pickup to deaden it a bit......which seems to have worked to a point. But the good thing is they are fairly cheap...so quite good to experiment with as a first pickup.

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1378830144' post='2205264']
...Marc are you going to post some pics ? ( ..tis the done thing with a new baby in the house ) !
[/quote]

Better fix that one then!
I've taken a look at a few stands, and actually I'd like something that allows me to play the bass while it's on the stand too.....
A big ask, I know, but does the Hercules stand allow this?

Anyhow, here she is :)
[attachment=143506:DSC_6547.jpg]

Cheers again all
Marc

EDIT: As you say ChrisF - those pickups are cheap enough to experiment with....
And maybe a future back-up too...
Let me know what you find re the damping of the click sounds

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1378888346' post='2205937']
Better fix that one then!
I've taken a look at a few stands, and actually I'd like something that allows me to play the bass while it's on the stand too.....

Anyhow, here she is :)
[attachment=143506:DSC_6547.jpg]

Cheers again all
Marc

[/quote]

Perfect ..! Looks like she's always been there - is it a B + H ( thats Boosey and Hawkes rather than Benson and Hedges ) ? !

Although its probably only been put in place for the photo thought I would just chip in that basses like to be boringly stable in terms of variations of temperature ...so, in contact with sunlight or next to a window (where at 3.00 am, where the heating off in winter, it can get chilled ) isn't the best of places. It needs to be beside your bed so that you can leap into action at any time ! :D

Edited by ubassman

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1378888346' post='2205937']

[/quote]

....don't know of any stand that does that ! I am sure if they do exist that someone here will post ...but it would be better to not rely on a stand anyway !

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1378891895' post='2206024']
....don't know of any stand that does that ! I am sure if they do exist that someone here will post ...but it would be better to not rely on a stand anyway !
[/quote]

I know - it's best to play it "properly"
But it's in the lounge, where the phone always seems to ring when I'm in the middle of playing....
I'll get shouted at for not answering the phone ;)
And I don't want to have to hurriedly put the bass to one side

I also liked the idea of that type of stand - just while I improve my left hand techniques
And the bass is such a beauty I'm almost being over-cautious with her
I've seen the stands on ebay - but only in the USA
with all the importing / time / tax issues that brings with it....

Re its' position, I'll be keeping the curtain mostly closed so it doesn't sit in direct sunlight
I'm sorting out the spare room, and eventually it'll reside there :)

Cheers again
Marc

EDIT: This is the stand I've seen on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Adjustable-Double-Bass-Cello-Stand-Hand-Free-/281090223931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4172486f3b

Also urbassman, I think SWMBO may have something to say if I kept the bass right by the bed!
I may even get an ultimatum....... which I'd have to think about ;) lol

Edited by Marc S

I believe that you need to move about when playing the upright, shifting your weight, shifting your position, moving your feet and letting the bass move with you. Not wild movement, but movement all the same. It would be difficult to achieve this synthesis of player and instrument if you were playing with a bass fixed into one position and you would probably strain some muscles over time. There is an element of dance to playing the double bass and while one partner may be wooden, she needn't be static.

Just my two penn'orth - and I find that by the time I've put the bass down and got to the phone that it's stopped ringing anyway. Hey ho!

This is where I keep mine.... right next to the wife's dressing table in the bedroom.....it was her idea honest :lol:

[URL=http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/Chris_Finn/media/bassstand.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l491/Chris_Finn/bassstand.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This is how its held up for now..... once I get round to decorating the bedroom I will make one out of something that looks better.... but it does the job perfectly.

[URL=http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/Chris_Finn/media/bassstand1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l491/Chris_Finn/bassstand1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]