Why become a member? ×

Anyone have experience of using MOTU Express 128 or Micro Lite?

JapanAxe

I have recently been re-vamping the MIDI elements of my home studio, and I am considering buying one of the above units. For some years all my MIDI routing has been done with a home-made box switching box, but there are so many important changes to be made between record and playback that I am thinking of getting a MIDI USB patchbay and storing all the different configurations in the MIDI Setup utility of my Mac.

If your eyes have just glazed over, feel free to move on to a discussion of pick vs. fingers or lightweight vs. heavy cabs. However if you have experience in this area, please chip in your 2p worth.

These are the bits that need to be joined up:

Akai DPS16 (MIDI Clock source)
Roland TD3 electronic drum kit (input and playback)
Alesis SR18 drum machine (MIDI clock and notes in/out)
Roland JV1010 sound module
E-MU Xboard 49 controller keyboard
Mac Mini running Sagantech Metro SE (MIDI recording/editing/playback only, no audio)

Possibly destined to be the shortest thread of all time...

Maybe not...

I haven't used either of the models you are looking at, but I have owned 2 different versions of the MIDI Express. All the routing assignments are done using the ClockWorks application on your computer. It's a good while since I last used it, but IIRC you can filter both inputs and outputs by MIDI channels and different types of message, as well as route different MIDI channels directly form an input to the relevant outputs.

As to which of the models you need, that's more tricky. Both would seem to have enough MIDI connectors (it looks as though you need 4 inputs and 3 outputs) If you need timecode or patch memories for different routings (although IIRC you can load new ones from the computer) then it's get to be the Micro Express.

However AFAICS both the units you are looking at will not function unless attached to a powered-up computer as they draw their power from the USB bus. That also means that you can't use the interface as a patch bay in a stand-alone setup (without your computer) which was one of the main reasons I had the my MotU interface. If you need to be able to use your setup without the computer being on or present then the only option I can see is the MIDI Express XT.

HTH.

Thanks for your comments - that must be well over 4p worth!

I have been looking at the various models, and neither of those I'm considering work with Clockworks. However on a Mac you can use the MIDI setup to tell your other software what is connected to the MIDI ports on your interface, thus:

You can also open up a preference box for each device and select which MIDI channels and what kind of timing information it will send/receive.

Yes 4 in and 3 out should do it if I use the Xboard via USB (E-MU no longer support it but current drivers still work). If I am in my home studio then the computer is on, so that's not a problem.

Anyway, just put in an offer on an Express 128 on eBay - fingers crossed!

Yeah but I don't want to be paying out that much for top-of-the-range that I don't really need! I've also just worked out that the M-Audio Midisport 4x4 will do the job if I'm using the Xboard via USB, and I can get one of those new for £80 delivered, obviously less used - though someone one eBay is trying to sell one for £149! If my offer on the Express 128 is accepted then great, I'll have spare inputs; otherwise I'll get a 4x4, so can't lose really. I never had a problem with my Midisport Uno so s4x4 should be fine.

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1378540918' post='2201544']
Would it be possible to run one of these units off a powered USB hub, rather than using a computer? Just curious really.
[/quote]
Yes the blurb specifically says you can do this - in fact several! My current 1-in-1-out interface runs off a 7-way powered hub.

I've now made a couple of other discoveries about Mac Audio MIDI Setup (AMS) that have made me re-think my requirements.

(1) I was wrong about what AMS does - the 'preferences' you select for each connected device don't actually apply any filters, you just use them to describe the settings you've made on the devices themselves. You would need something like Clockworks to actually apply filters.

(2) Although AMS is good for managing the MIDI data that is coming in and out of computer, it does not provide a way to route, say, the output of a controller to the input of a sound module. So even though both devices may have USB connections to the Mac, it does not let them talk to each other without setting up a THRU in your recording software. Problem!

(3) Solution! A freeware Mac application called (strangely enough) 'MIDI Patchbay', available [url="http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/"]here[/url]. I've tried it and it works.

So I have just ordered a s/h Midisport 4x4 for £49 delivered. This should make things a lot tidier.

I should say that, although I may talk a good game, and despite not being in any way technophobic, MIDI baffles the bejaysus out of me. I am really only sharing what I've found as I go along. Your comments may speed up the learning process for me and others.

I do hope that this works out, but on past experience it could just as easily go completely t!ts up! :blush:

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while, but....

If it's of interest to you I have an old Midi Timepiece AV. It's an early model though, and so uses a Windows parallel/Mac serial connection. It's boxed and I have the manual lying around somewhere.

I tried to sell it when I dismantled my studio a few years ago but nobody wanted it. Let's see if I can give it away.....interested?

Edited by leftybassman392