Why become a member? ×

Best way to tell the wife..... ' I've just bought a new bass !'

Tullfan

"I was looking at compare the market.com and I've found this 0% balance transfer it will save us money and increase our credit rating anyway I thought I may as well max out our credit card to get the best value from the deal - and look I got you this cute meerkat toy as part of the introductory offer......"

I sold a white 4 string epiphone thunderbird and a peavey 5-string to buy a natural epi thunderbird pro-v with some cash left over for bits & bobs. I explained to the missus carefully that I was selling two basses to get one with some of the attributes of the two I was offloading.

When the new t-bird turned up I still got the usual 'new bass' hassle from her, so I don't know what the answer is.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1378499347' post='2201305']
I've just bought a new bass. :mellow:
[/quote]
some excellent points raised, ........and one who hasn't met my wife ! :D[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]it's the doorbell whilst shes at home and i'm at work, with a delivery man standing with a big flight-case,... that's the difficult bit to hide!![/size]
[size=4] [/size][size=4] :angry2:[/size]

[quote name='Junkyard Rocket' timestamp='1378498969' post='2201300']
I sold a white 4 string epiphone thunderbird and a peavey 5-string to buy a natural epi thunderbird pro-v with some cash left over for bits & bobs. I explained to the missus carefully that I was selling two basses to get one with some of the attributes of the two I was offloading.

[/quote]
my better half is quite happy as I fund this all myself. If I sell one I keep the money and add to it and then buy something else that I want. If I want a new/new to me extra one I do get asked what is different about the new one. As long as there is something different she is happy as long as I don't go over "about three".
She trusts me not to buy stuff that loses much money or any money, or that's overpriced
Its not a huge issue as long as I act reasonably

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1378499347' post='2201305']I've just bought a new bass. :mellow:
[/quote]

That worked for me a couple of weeks ago. No hassle ( though it is over 10 years since I bought the one before that)

Reminds me; I should put up a NBD thread...

Edited by cybertect

Tell her that you fancy a lad at work and would she mind if you explored that side of your sexuality. As her world collapses around her smile and say 'sorry love only kidding' and whilst she is in euphoric relief slip in "by the way I've bought a new bass" ;)

Then run........fast :D

I'd only just bought a new double bass, which cost twice as much as the one I showed her when she asked 'what does it look like', well it does look like that just a bit dearer. Anyway I got away with the DB purchase by saying I'd sell a couple of electric basses to cover the cost, I still have them all though. A week later a Yammy Bex 4 came up on here for sale and I've been after one for a while but I knew I couldn't swing it after the DB, I thought I'll buy it and get it sent to work and then take it straight to the rehearsal room, where I'd leave it until it was safe to smuggle home. The only problem was I was paying with paypal and the email address linked to that comes up on her phone, she wouldn't log into paypal to check as I'm always buying bits and bobs so I thought I'll just say it's some strings if she asks. I send payment and her phone goes off, 'what've you bought now' she says, 'oh just some strings from someone on basschat' I reply, 'what, for £280!'. I didn't think the amount would come up without logging in, oops. I just said that they may still be attached to a bass. I told her it's ok because I'm going to sell a few others to cover the cost of the DB and Bex 4, I've still got all my basses.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1378498404' post='2201291']
Don't tell her, she'll probably never notice. If she asks; "Is this new?" Look at her incredulously (but don't over do it) and just say "no, I've had that one for years."
[/quote]interesting, the missus has used exactly that line with me with regard to shoes and handbags

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1378498404' post='2201291']
Don't tell her, she'll probably never notice. If she asks; "Is this new?" Look at her incredulously (but don't over do it) and just say "no, I've had that one for years."
[/quote]

Nothing else needs saying, although given that the fairer sex seems quite colour savvy I'd strongly advise sticking to one finish on all basses - to all but the expert, a 3tsb Jazz looks pretty similar to a 3tsb Precision, 'ray or Ric. Don't get careless though, for example with fingerboards. They will notice for example that 'the bit where you put your hands was darker last time I saw it'. Stick to maple or rosewood, don't mix them and all is OK.

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1378508147' post='2201408']
You can tell her a mate asked you to look after it for a while.
[/quote]

What a wasted opportunity. :)

"I'm looking after it for a mate for a while because his wife isn't as loving and understanding as you are".

:D

Warning: I've been married twice so please take my relationship advice with a large container of salty stuff.