Why become a member? ×

Best way to tell the wife..... ' I've just bought a new bass !'

Tullfan

Planning a bitsa bass project sometime soon, and have been a while. So I've been laying the ground work over the past few years since i upgraded my amp with," I can't believe how much more work I'm getting since I got my amp", "getting paid much better for these gigs since I bought my amp, it must have paid for itself many times over" type comments for ages now. Might work....!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1378583494' post='2202201']
Are there really people out there who think that being deceitful about purchases worth hundreds or thousands is a good way to behave in a committed relationship? Or who think so little of their wife that they reckon she can't tell one red bass from another?

I really hope that it's just tongue in cheek jokey bravado,
[/quote]

Yes. That

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1378546452' post='2201612']
If I want a new bass I will say 'I'm thinking of buying a new bass' and she will say 'Well, go and buy it then'. Simple as that. Maybe I am in a happy place financially but, more to the point, I'm in a happy place in my relationship. I have to wonder about all these little deceptions going on, doesn't seem healthy.
[/quote]
+ 1
I bought the latest one last year. She likes that one the most of all my basses so I had her name engraved on the truss rod cover and usually that's the one I use when she comes to my gigs.

Edited by jazzyvee

We have an understanding that "three is enough" as she has to dust them and as long as they are visibly different and do different things. I have a 12 string acoustic, a vintage stingray copy and a precision - I do buy things to try them but the rule is that something goes if I want to keep the new thing. We have a small house and I have limited free time and this seems reasonable to me

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1378546452' post='2201612']
If I want a new bass I will say 'I'm thinking of buying a new bass' and she will say 'Well, go and buy it then'. Simple as that. Maybe I am in a happy place financially but, more to the point, I'm in a happy place in my relationship. I have to wonder about all these little deceptions going on, doesn't seem healthy.
[/quote]

It's not as bad as you think. In my case if I want/need/buy a new bass that's perfectly OK, but the current mrs discreet will then feel justified in asking for something for herself to redress the balance. Which is also perfectly OK, but it means budgeting for the new bass AND an equivalent sum (or more) for her shoes/clothes/spa treatments/car/nazi paraphernalia or whatever. Which makes GAS more expensive than it has to be.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1408437942' post='2530039']
We have an understanding that "three is enough" as she has to dust them and as long as they are visibly different and do different things. I have a 12 string acoustic, a vintage stingray copy and a precision - I do buy things to try them but the rule is that something goes if I want to keep the new thing. We have a small house and I have limited free time and this seems reasonable to me
[/quote]

She has to dust them? !! :o Surely you jest :P

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1402649591' post='2475582'] I once bought a strat off eBay, had it sent to work, dismantled it completely during lunchbreak, smuggled the bits home and then announced that I was going to make up a guitar from spare bits & pieces that I had accumulated over the years. The plan worked. [/quote]

This is the best idea ever...

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1408448672' post='2530196']

She has to dust them? !! :o Surely you jest :P
[/quote]
They are in a room that she cleans - I do the lions share of housework as well as working full time hence limited practice time

I am fortunate because my wife is very understanding, and actually likes the basses that I buy, particularly if I sold one that she didn't like the sound of (too dull, planky etc.)

I try to be fair though, so if I buy anything she can go and buy something the same (or more) value. This tends to keep me from buying basses perhaps, but then I have enough.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1422535733' post='2673776']
This is my favourite thread ever!
[/quote]

Thank you !

...For all the comments, whether fun, true, or overly serious.
Hopefully there is balance from reading everybody's posts together.

The answer is to marry the right woman, where it doesn't matter how many i buy, she loves me anyway!!

(....has she stopped reading over my shoulder yet?)