Why become a member? ×

Best way to tell the wife..... ' I've just bought a new bass !'

Tullfan

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1378504736' post='2201371']

Nothing else needs saying, although given that the fairer sex seems quite colour savvy I'd strongly advise sticking to one finish on all basses - to all but the expert, a 3tsb Jazz looks pretty similar to a 3tsb Precision, 'ray or Ric. Don't get careless though, for example with fingerboards. They will notice for example that 'the bit where you put your hands was darker last time I saw it'. Stick to maple or rosewood, don't mix them and all is OK.
[/quote]

This! I got away with sunburst and natural basses for years. Then made the mistake of using a fiesta red fender, and was rumbled immediately!

It's not just wives.... Husbands can be equally troublesome :P

I found this approach worked well for me just a week ago....

Me "Darling, would you like to come on a roadtrip to the midlands with me tomorrow"
Him "Why are you going to the Midlands?"
Me "I'm meeting a bloke off Basschat as I'm buying a bass off him"
Him "Not another bass!!!" (slightly pissed off tone of voice)
Me "Yes, but I'm selling two"
Him "Oh, OK then"
Me "So do you want to come?"
Him "No thanks, got too much to do down the allotment"

Should add that I have stuck to what I said, and the two basses I were selling have, in Elvis style, left the building!

In the thirteen years I've been with Mrs RR, I've only traded one and bought one.

The trade was near enough a straight swap, so no issues there, in fact she came with me.

The purchase was trickier. I compiled a convincing business case, manipulating the budget and savings until I could convincingly show that we could afford to free up enough enough for this new bass AND she could have the cash equivalalent to spend on whatever she liked. Seemed to work :-)

Write her a song, give her the lyrics on paper. Let her read them. Fill the song with a load of soppy bollox stuff that women like. When she asks you to sing it, Go and get the new bass for accompaniment. If she asks where the bass came from, give her some bullshit of your choice, it won't matter what you say she will believe you. This trick is good for about two basses, a third one is pushing it. Tah-dah..... Welcome to my world, it's grim and selfish but I'm happy.

Not quite a solution but the guitarist in my dad's band took me and my dad on a road trip to try and buy some new gear for the band. We drove a couple of hours and spend a large portion of the day at the shop fiddling with gear. He eventually bought a very nice limited Strat and a big Peavey 212 guitar amp (Peavey were very much the rage then). Anyway, with leads, pedals etc he paid out about £1600.

When we got back it was 7pm and his wife was home, something he hoped to avoid. We got out of the van, she came straight out with a big smile on her face and said "ok so what did you get, and how much was it" my dads friend shows her all of the gear enthusiastically and avoids the price question. She says again "how much" with a big smile, and he fobs her off with about £600. She see's straight through him and says "be honest, I will find out".

He buckled and gives her the price, cool as a cucumber she says "oh there we are then, very nice......so (with hand out) where is mine". Guitarist friend then slumps over, absolutely gutted look on his face and hands over £1600 cash to his wife, her reply "thanks" and walks back in the house.

The moral of the story, never try and fool a woman its not worth it. Personally I couldn't get away with anything, my better half knows her basses and cabs, she was looking though the for sale section the other day suggesting a new Bergantino 212.

My wife's a lovely person. If I said there was a bass I liked the look of she'd tell me to get it, without any hesitation.

Right now I'm in credit after selling a bass and 2 cabs. She let me borrow the money for the last bass out of the housekeeping.

She collects orchids, dolls houses, quilting material and handbags. We support each other's interests.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1378544474' post='2201575']
My wife's a lovely person. If I said there was a bass I liked the look of she'd tell me to get it, without any hesitation.

Right now I'm in credit after selling a bass and 2 cabs. She let me borrow the money for the last bass out of the housekeeping.

She collects orchids, dolls houses, quilting material and handbags. We support each other's interests.
[/quote]
Happy people make me fell ill. Only joking. Good for you mate.

If I want a new bass I will say 'I'm thinking of buying a new bass' and she will say 'Well, go and buy it then'. Simple as that. Maybe I am in a happy place financially but, more to the point, I'm in a happy place in my relationship. I have to wonder about all these little deceptions going on, doesn't seem healthy.

As Mrs Lurks keeps paying for my new basses as pressies , I dont have a problem there B) , however I do get to pay for the guitars/instruments that I buy in case Lurksalittle ever gets around to taking up the challenge ;) .

That said, there was a raised eyebrow when she found out that the last £300 she spent for one at christmas was only the deposit :rolleyes:.
Still if she likes the look of them she doesn't mind as they will look quite 'cool' when they hang on the wall ( when I have finished the room that is :blush: )

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1378559898' post='2201827']
I can't imagine Mrs.S ever getting cross. She's far too nice! Say "Hi" from me :-)
[/quote]

Will do Warren. And she doesn't. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378560572' post='2201844']
And me. And ask her what she's up to on Wednesday afternoon. ;)
[/quote]

:o How did you know I was going out on Wednesday?! :angry: :)