Why become a member? ×

Best way to tell the wife..... ' I've just bought a new bass !'

Tullfan

Some interesting replies in this thread, a couple of weeks ago when I was waiting to sell my Sandberg to buy a Warwick (in theory, but this never happened) the misses said, and I QUOTE "Why don't you buy the Warwick and have both?"

I pulled full on a Clint Eastwood expression, I don't know if she was bluffing or if it was a threat, so I didn't risk it :P

I ended up doing a trade in the end haha she is quite supportive of my bass playing though :)

Edited by Ghosts Over Japan

Tell the wife that your new girlfriend bought you the bass as a gift . That way , you have introduced an element of competition and then your wife will probably buy you an even better bass to try and win you back . To be honest with you , sometimes I think I should be working for Relate , such is the quality of my advice about these kind of things . By the way , just as a precaution , make sure you have got somewhere else to live lined up in case things don't go quite according to plan .

Definately go down the "future investment route" money in the bank isn't earning interest at the moment and musical instruments don't really lose their value (well the right ones don't) keep quoting prices off evilbay...."ooh blah blah guitar selling for this much pounds....I only paid this much less pounds for mine" do that for a while and she will start to believe you are a genius investor and by the time you come to sell them as a retirement fund you will hopefully be old and dribbly and not give a hoot that they didn't make you a fortune. That's my plan anyway

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1378517663' post='2201469']
It's not just wives.... Husbands can be equally troublesome :P

I found this approach worked well for me just a week ago....

Me "Darling, would you like to come on a roadtrip to the midlands with me tomorrow"
Him "Why are you going to the Midlands?"
Me "I'm meeting a bloke off Basschat as I'm buying a bass off him"
Him "Not another bass!!!" (slightly pissed off tone of voice)
Me "Yes, but I'm selling two"
Him "Oh, OK then"
Me "So do you want to come?"
Him "No thanks, got too much to do down the allotment"

Should add that I have stuck to what I said, and the two basses I were selling have, in Elvis style, left the building!
[/quote]
Nice ... He let you go off alone to meet a basschat member ? He could have had an axe or something ....

Ill get me coat

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1378574182' post='2202032']

Nice ... He let you go off alone to meet a basschat member ? He could have had an axe or something ....

Ill get me coat
[/quote]

It was in a very crowded motorway services :P

I think I was safe somehow :lol:

(Russ, if you see this, please take no offence, you are a lovely geezer and I guess Geek was speaking hypothetically ;) )

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1378577436' post='2202096']

It was in a very crowded motorway services :P

I think I was safe somehow :lol:

(Russ, if you see this, please take no offence, you are a lovely geezer and I guess Geek was speaking hypothetically ;) )
[/quote]
No it's just so I could make a weak pun about axes...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378578220' post='2202119']

:lol:[size=4] That's like buying her a power drill for her birthday. Class.[/size]
[/quote]

I know a guy who's dad for valentines day one year bought his wife a sit on lawn mower and the following year a hedge trimmer..

That's brave...

Are there really people out there who think that being deceitful about purchases worth hundreds or thousands is a good way to behave in a committed relationship? Or who think so little of their wife that they reckon she can't tell one red bass from another?

I really hope that it's just tongue in cheek jokey bravado, otherwise it's little wonder the divorce rate is so high.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1378583494' post='2202201']
...who think so little of their wife that they reckon she can't tell one red bass from another?
[/quote]

She really [i]can't [/i]tell the difference. She's just not interested. What I think of her makes no difference to that.
I don't think this thread is seriously meant to be recommending methods of deceit or promoting misogyny in any way.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1378583494' post='2202201']
Or who think so little of their wife that they reckon she can't tell one red bass from another?

[/quote]

Hubby's hobby is photography, and I genuinely couldn't tell one lens from another..... Apart from his big telescopic lens he has for sport photography.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378584424' post='2202210']
She really [i]can't [/i]tell the difference. She's just not interested. What I think of her makes no difference to that.
I don't think this thread is seriously meant to be recommending methods of deceit or promoting misogyny in any way.
[/quote]

Spot on !

.......though like many on here I'm sure, I am having such a laugh !! :D[size=4] [/size] :D
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] [/size][size=4] Keep them coming please! :tatice_03:[/size]

[quote name='Tullfan' timestamp='1378497235' post='2201265']
I'm sure this must have been raised before, but i am looking for immediate help.
Best excuses or most successful techniques most welcome ! :D
[/quote]

Do what my dad does with cars - say nothing. Although leave it in a really obvious place so your wife notices. :D

If there is a constant turnover of basses in your house the presence of another new one wouldn't be noticed, just start a rolling system of cheap ebay buying and selling .
Many of you will no doubt find it hard to believe that with all the quality advice I'm able to offer on this topic I am in fact getting divorced. It's the bagpipes she really objected to.

Edited by Dom in Somerset