Why become a member? ×

Dorset Steam Fair and an LS9 review

VTypeV4

I worked the Micheal Oliver stage at the Great Dorset Steam Fair. It was very interesting and nice to do something different. Here's some pix and my thoughts on the Yamaha LS9 - 32.

[url="http://s778.photobucket.com/user/VTypeV4/media/Steam1LAB_zpsb94e1b15.jpg.html"][/url]

Main power amps for the EAW boxes. Lab Gruppen 6400 and 3400 with an Ashly Protea controlling them.

[url="http://s778.photobucket.com/user/VTypeV4/media/Steam4Work_zpsc68d8007.jpg.html"][/url]

My work space for the week. Little bit tricky doing both monitors and FOH from this side of stage position but the little Qube monitor (bolted to the barrier) and my trusty Sennheiser HD25s helped lots. Monitor amp rack can be seen also loaded with 2 x 3400 and a Quattro for bi-amping the wedges.

[URL=http://s778.photobucket.com/user/VTypeV4/media/Steam3LS9_zpsc45a9ca0.jpg.html][IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/Steam3LS9_zpsc45a9ca0.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The device in question! Yamaha LS9-32

Lady Winwoods Maggot. An interesting Folk/Rock type outfit. Cool guys.

[url=http://s778.photobucket.com/user/VTypeV4/media/Steam2DSC_zps4a71dde5.jpg.html]

The Drug Store Cowboys. One of the best bands I've mixed in a while. Rockabilly / Dick Dale / Country type leanings, stunning!

As for the LS9..

A great bit of kit as it pretty much provides everything you're ever likely to need in 90% of situations. Flying faders, Automation, built in Graphic EQs, Multi FX units, Save and re-call facilities, Comprehensive dynamics on everyin in / out etc..

Facilities:

An almost overwhelming array of options allowing a completely custom setup if required. The 'standard channel' has a four-band fully parametric EQ plus a variable hi-pass filter. There's two dynamics 'slots' which can be assigned differently for every channel but for my setup I simply chose and normal gate and a normal compressor although there's options for a de-esser, an expander amongst others. 14(?) Auxes can be be pre / post fade and the outputs of each can be routed via the 'Rack' which is a virtual rack of any of the internal processors if required. I used the 31 band graphic EQs on my monitor (Aux 1-4 - Rack 1 - 4) and three multi FX units for Short reverb, Long reverb and tap Delay. A maximum of 4 units accross 2 racks can be used. My final slot was the Flex 15 EQ for FOH which is a 31 band EQ but you can only use 15 of the bands. Sounds wierd but is actually ok to use. I'd be worried if I needed more than 15 bands. The Graphic EQs can be assigned to the faders allowing adjustments of the frequency bands per fader. Very clever! Input gain is metered in the usual way with use of the 'cue' button showing the level on the main meter although there are channel meters in LEDs on each as a peak meters fo quick reference. I could go on but I'd be here for days! One last thing to mention is lack of groups as everything is routed on 'omni-out' 15-16 which is what we'd call LR master out. Custom fader layers could be used to emulate groups but in the end I didn't bother as it added uneeded complications.

Sound integrity:

Not bad but not quite as 'transparent' as i might have expected from such a console. The FX and dynamics have very comprehensive controls with more than you're likely to need and work very well as does the EQ. Maybe it's the LR buss but I felt like it was all a bit 'contained' so to speak. From a sonic perspective I believe my Soundcraft to be superior.

User interface:

Isn't bad but simply cannot keep up with the massive facilities that the desk offers. It's often too slow to get to where's needed quickly requiring many button presses and menu flicks to get from one page area to another. The direction keys and jog-wheel next to the display are the main way around the desk. The shortcut buttons help but even so, it's still not good enough as you can choose which button goes where. This was a real ball ache to setup but helped once it was. The lack of touch screen and small display are what limit the desk and it's abilities although I understand they can be remotely setup so can be used at a distance via an Ipad which would be much better probably. The 'home' button is very handy for taking you back to which ever 'layer' (1-32, 33-64, master or custom). A stripped down M7 is the best way to compare the LS9.

Conclusion:

I tried all week to find some love for the Yamaha but I simply couldn't muster any. I did nearly 40 shows in 6 days but I found the interface too fiddly to get to some things, usually when I needed them! As such, I wouldn't buy one insspite of the many facilities.

Edited by VTypeV4

• 7 months later...

I'm partial to my little Mamods, Wilescos and the couple of Stuart Turner engines I have..

I partially re-built the ST 10H as it's cylinder was damaged when I had it but I got a new casting and machined it along with a new piston. The end plate was still in good order so I re-used it and old newspaper as a gasket. Runs great on compressed air but never had a boiler man enough to run it on steam.

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1398517130' post='2434880']
Just out of curiosity are there any steam engine enthusiasts on here, or just me?

I've not been lucky enough to play at GDSF yet but regularly attend as an exhibitor
[/quote]

I dabble...

Built the cab floor for this beastie:

& perpetrate signwriting/coachlining at times:

What do you exhibit?

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1398552413' post='2435287']
^ Wow!

I'll take a pic of the 10H but it's rather dinky compared to the above.
[/quote]

But I'll bet your 10H doesn't have to generate the amount of paperwork that the 'big stuff' does :)
If you have room for another hobby, you're in a pretty good location. The [url=http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/locomotives]Churnet Valley[/url] & [url=http://www.foxfieldrailway.co.uk/steamlocomotives.php]Foxfield[/url] lines are pretty close to you.

P.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha wow - I love GWR stock (although im more a roads than rail person).

I've still got lots of Mamod and Wilesco engines in the loft somewhere - they didn't get that much use as i was lucky enough to be playing with full size engines.

My dad's just started making a half size Burrell Gold Medal Tractor that Little Samson Models produce the drawings/casting for (shameless pump for Edward).

I've worked on all sorts from Ransome's Traction Engines, Burrell Road Loco's (we used to co-own [i]Duke of Kent[/i]) and most importantly...

Fowler T3B roller,[i] Jenny[/i]
[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/2zr2ln5.jpg[/IMG]

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had a play with an Allen n Grief Qu16 which for the money seems to be pretty much unbeatable. It was easy to use and all the facilities sounded great. My only criticism is the display looked basic but that may percived by someone else as clear and functional. I do like a bit of fancy! I appreciate that the Yamaha is capable of so much more than the Qu16 but in a similar way to my 328XD, it's more than on top of whats it's capable of unlike the LS-9 that kinda gets lost in itself somewhere behind 8 million menus.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Judging by where you were, you will have been dealt with by one of my colleauges.. Possibly Jack, Daz, Zach, Pete / Lee or Steve? Any of those boys ring a bell? Your band name rings a bell too, I have a feeling you were on Jacks stage..

Hope you had a good week and were well looked after sound-wise. :D

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1399628929' post='2445965']
Haha wow - I love GWR stock (although im more a roads than rail person).

I've still got lots of Mamod and Wilesco engines in the loft somewhere - they didn't get that much use as i was lucky enough to be playing with full size engines.

My dad's just started making a half size Burrell Gold Medal Tractor that Little Samson Models produce the drawings/casting for (shameless pump for Edward).

I've worked on all sorts from Ransome's Traction Engines, Burrell Road Loco's (we used to co-own [i]Duke of Kent[/i]) and most importantly...

Fowler T3B roller,[i] Jenny[/i]
[/quote]

You probably know my good friend Tomo Thompson, then.

• 2 weeks later...