Why become a member? ×

Fender 2013 Japan Limited Edition '66 Jazz Bass

DanEly

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1379399263' post='2212077']
I'm sure they're lovely basses, but pointless as a 66 without lollipops, dots and binding IMO.
[/quote]

This.

This is the issue I have with fender these days. If they call a Jazz RI a '66 (A year specifically known for having lollipos, and dots and binding), then it has to be that, otherwise, why dont they call it a '68, that way they have nothing to worry about, they can get away with regular 70's style tuners that the japs use anyway, and block necks.

Like the early Custom Shop J's being called a 1960 on the certs, and having 3 knobs...i could go on...

most annoying!!

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1379421249' post='2212428']

This.

This is the issue I have with fender these days. If they call a Jazz RI a '66 (A year specifically known for having lollipos, and dots and binding), then it has to be that, otherwise, why dont they call it a '68, that way they have nothing to worry about, they can get away with regular 70's style tuners that the japs use anyway, and block necks.

Like the early Custom Shop J's being called a 1960 on the certs, and having 3 knobs...i could go on...

most annoying!!
[/quote]

Apparently it had all the periodic specific '66 features until this guy got involved!
http://youtu.be/cmQvxfo75K0

I got one of these. It looks and sounds lovely, is nicely built, only downside for me is the neck is a bit thicker than I'd expected -- not p-bass fat or Warwick thick, just a little thicker than the J-bass norm. Good old internet shopping. Assume that's some kind of period detail, and it seems to add a bit of extra woody thunk, it's even still a fast neck somehow, but I like 'em shallow so I'm probably going to sell it.

As others have noted, it's not a let's-pretend period re-creation, but it is a really nice combination of good-lookingnesses. Bit annoying that they painted the 'period' varnish over the binding and fitted a cheap scratchplate. Neither of these things has affected my enjoyment of the instrument.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1379421249' post='2212428']
This.

most annoying!!
[/quote]
I'm with you 100% on this. The '60/'62 thing annoys me even more

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1379837082' post='2217109']
I'm with you 100% on this. The '60/'62 thing annoys me even more
[/quote]

Yeah. I've often wondered about this as well. I once had a Japanese P bass which purported to be a 62 reissue. However, no tort plate with the sunburst finish. No long stem reverse tuners. No vintage bridge. No strap button on the back of the headstock. To me it was just a Japanese P bass. Nothing wrong with that as it was a serviceable bass. Just don't call it a 62 reissue.

• 3 months later...

Anyone know what stock strings comes on this bass? i picked up one in october and was pleasantly surprised with the strings installed on it. Very bright and cutting...

PS. Its the best Jazz ive ever played. great pickup output , weighty, well constructed and i prefer the thicker than normal neck. Apparently its modelled on a '65 Jazz, even though its a '66 reissue...strange !

• 2 months later...

After some PMs (special thanks to Nigel), i post this to sum up.
As a big fan of Fender History, i checked my "tons" of books, Gigabytes of pictures... :)

The cool details are :
- Thin frets (not period correct, but better for me. The early 1966 JB with binding and DOTS had 60's thin frets. When Fender decided to add blocks in late 66, frets became larger, 70's style.
- slightly-creamy white matching headstock.
- 60's style headstock logo (even if it is not exactly the right 60's copy)
- Binding strip (even if the originals 1966 JBs had no varnish on it). I think a luthier can put off the tinted part and let the white binding be seen.
- "Build quality is high. No gaping neck pockets or misaligned tuner bushings".

To improve the bass, here on the forum, one can find cool picks (tortoise, mint white, white...) and all kind of pickups. One also would have to find lollipop tuners not too expensive :)

Finally, the main subject is the neck which is "noticeably thicker than the early 60s and modern ones". I have to try one to make up my mind.

This bass is not as accurate as a Custom shop but has a real charm (especially in vintage white) and cost 1/4 :D

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-2013-japan-limited-edition-66-jazz-bass-aged-olympic-white/84687"]http://www.gak.co.uk...pic-white/84687[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdwcIz7BVYY#t=71&aid=P9ReK7evqOQ"]http://www.youtube.c...aid=P9ReK7evqOQ[/url]

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1379334081' post='2211320']
So who's played one and what do you reckon?

[url="http://fenderjapan.co.jp/jb66b.html"]http://fenderjapan.co.jp/jb66b.html[/url]

[/quote]

There's one hanging in our local music shop. The salesman came over and asked me to please not drool on it. Fabulous looks, but I did not play it, sorry ...

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1395011921' post='2397827']
Finally, the main subject is the neck which is "noticeably thicker than the early 60s and modern ones". I have to try one to make up my mind.
[/quote]

If it helps, I took a Vernier gauge to the necks of this one and compared with a Roadworn Jazz. Not sure how accurate I can claim these to be, but here are the numbers I ended up with (measured twice and averaged):

3rd fret JB66B 22.2mm, RW 22.13mm
9th fret JB66B 24.9mm, RW 24.2mm
12th fret JB66B 25.4mm, RW 24.9mm

So it's a bit less sharply tapered, I think,

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='LeftyJ' timestamp='1379341398' post='2211447']
That's really pretty! They should also do one with dots and binding, and lollipop tuners.

I see they're also finally offering the JB75 reissue with the correct bridge pickup position. About time! :lol:
I love the JB75B with black blocks and binding!

I also think that JB62 Smart Size is cute. But I think the specs are off... 373,5 mm scale translates to less than 15", that can't be right can it? Looks more like 30" to me.

[/quote]

In Japan, for some reason - they always give the scale length as the length from the nut to the 12th fret only. Always double it.

BassHappy

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1395184899' post='2399662']
There's one hanging in our local music shop. The salesman came over and asked me to please not drool on it. Fabulous looks, but I did not play it, sorry ...
[/quote]
Don't listen to him. Say you want to play it before spending a lot of money.

• 3 years later...