Why become a member? ×

new member looking to get into double bass

Jezyorkshire

Hi, i am Jez from Pontefract, West Yorkshire.
Been playing bass guitar a long time and have just started looking into getting a double bass, cant spend much so am considering getting one of those from Gear4music unless anyone knows of something for sale second hand around that price that would be better. cheers, Jez.

Hi Jez welcome to the board,
It's worth remembering that by a certain age most uprights will become pretty stable in price so you could usually get back what you paid (although current economic climate might see depression of all markets so caveat empor) So in my view it's worth being patient and waiting and watching for a reasonable second hand bass to appear.
I don't know the cost of the Gear4 basses, so how much are you looking to spend?
Jake

I have a 3/4 Gear4Music bass that I bought about 4 years ago for £325 ish.

It came with a cloth covered blown Polystyrene case that is about 7 foot tall and (won't fit in most cars) which is now in my loft full of old bits and bobs, but also a handy soft case.

I haved talked about it before on here. It looks flimsy in places, the tuners feel like they are going to break every time you turn them, but funnily enough, they never have.

The only problem it has ever had is that the side seam started to split - I think after a family member knocked it over an didn't tell me (I have no proof!)

I went on the web and everyone was saying "Only use hide glue made from real horses hooves or else the luthiers will never be able to open it up and repair it again!!!!" Sorry, but for £300, I doubt luthier charges will be that cheap, so I'll just buy another if that's needed! In the end, I used wood glue, and it's been sound as a pound ever since.

Jakesbass will talk a lot of sense about reasonably priced professional ones that have been setup properly, and if you are really serious about this and have a bit more cash, I'd be tempted to go with his multitudes of experience and buy one of those.

However, if like me, you were never sure if you'd ever stick at it if it turned out to be hard, are a big clumsy fool who keeps bumping it into things, and often end up with your mate's kids sticky fingers all over it, then go for one of these. I love mine, and Gear4Music were very friendly originally, especially after they forgot to include the bridge when it was originally delivered. Received one the next day!

Jakesbass, I would like to meet up with you one day and see what a really well setup one should be like, I reckon the action on mine might be a bit high. Then again, if I have to sand the bridge and f**k it up, I haven't lost that much, have I? :)

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='220472' date='Jun 17 2008, 11:23 AM']I have a 3/4 Gear4Music bass that I bought about 4 years ago for £325 ish.[/quote]
Thats not a big commitment to try it, but read my answer to the next quote passage.....

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='220472' date='Jun 17 2008, 11:23 AM']Jakesbass, I would like to meet up with you one day and see what a really well setup one should be like, I reckon the action on mine might be a bit high. Then again, if I have to sand the bridge and f**k it up, I haven't lost that much, have I? :)[/quote]
The difference between a bass like yours and the one in my avatar is enormous, low action so easy to play, lots of bass and a lovely dark growl to the notes, loads of swell after the very substantial percussion of the pizz, and mine is not a top end instrument. Nevertheless it would be a huge investment. When you get an instrument that sounds like you expect it to, like the sound in your head, then you see what all the fuss is about.

HH I'm only an hour from Crawley so it's possible.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='220480' date='Jun 17 2008, 11:33 AM']The difference between a bass like yours and the one in my avatar is enormous, low action so easy to play, lots of bass and a lovely dark growl to the notes, loads of swell after the very substantial percussion of the pizz, and mine is not a top end instrument.[/quote]

I don't doubt it for a moment. I am just a tightwad and went for a cheap option. I guess I also had this fantasy that if I could master a ropey instrument, then I'd be amazing on a well setup one. I'm sure you'll scoff at that, but I always was a dreamer!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='220480' date='Jun 17 2008, 11:33 AM']HH I'm only an hour from Crawley so it's possible.[/quote]

Thanks Jakebass, I may take you up on that kind offer. I also work and tend to gig in central London if that's any closer.

The gear4music ones are £345 but i would prefer to buy one second hand maybe spend a little more, reason i am interested in gear4music one is i am itching to get one and i only live about 20 miles from store, i suppose i ought to hang on a bit and find a decent used one.
Which is used most for transporting bass , hard case or soft, the gear4music ones sound a bit big, im certain that it wouldnt fit in my car.
Anyone know of any shops that have a few decent used D.B. in my neck of the woods to try or there abouts, cheers ,Jez.

What I was trying to get at is that with me, I am happy to experiment with mine, because I know it's only a cheap thing.

Ergo, if I saw Jakesbass's model and tried his action to see whether mine is about right or needs a lot of adjustment, then I'm happy to get the sandpaper out and have a shot at sorting it out if needed. I wouldn't have the balls to do this with a more expensive one!

If I was someone who wouldn't want to do any of that, then I wouldn't buy a G4M one.

As for transportation, I use the gig bag. I have an Audi A3, and with the back seats down and the peg retracted, it just sticks through between the front seats. It doesn't hamper gearshift/handbrake, but does annoy your shoulders!

I used to have a Laguna Estate and I don't think I could get the big case in it with the boot shut. I am 6'3" and it is taller than me!

It was delivered by a courier in a Transit, and he looked like he was glad to get rid of it. It was delivered unstrung with the brigde supposedly in a pocket (I had to get mine redelivered as already mentioned), so don't expect to play it straight out of the box if you buy one.

I would also check about being close to their store. I recently saw an end of line bargain online with Guitar Amp Keyboard (GAK) in Brighton recently. I went to the shop to look at it thinking I could save myself delivery charges and try it out, but was told that I couldn't because the web-site was a completely different affair from the shop and was run from different premesis.

Good luck with your choices!

I have checked and you can collect from shop so i will probably go and have a look at them to see what they are like, i am used to setting up me own electric bass guitars so i wouldt mind doin some nut/bridge adjustments if need be on one at there price.
Other option would be to get a loan or put a bit on the credit card for something more desirable? but there is someone watching over my shoulder if you know what i mean.
I have justified getting one by saying i need to learn it so i can get more work even though i dont know how i will get on with it as it is a totally different animal than bass guitar, just turned 48 the other month and the sound appeals lots more than playing electric, same thing happened with the motorbike, i could never get my head round anyone wanting a bike with a sidecar but now i have one, funny how things change as you get older, cheers , Jez.

Best bet is to hold out for something that has been played in. Those gear4music ones you talk about are nice and cheap but I'd personally stay well clear of anything that comes with a hard case for that kind of money. If you've tried it and liked it, fine, but as jake said you can usually source a well used one off ebay or gumtree for the same money. My advice is reserve a bit of money for a decent setup by a good luthier. It's all good and well doing a bit of sanding yourself but it will in no way will it compare to what the likes of Roger Dawson and Malcolm Healey can do. It doesn't matter what the quality of the bass is, if its setup is rubbish, the bass is rubbish.

Hi Jez,

I'm over in Wakefield. You can come and try mine if you like. I have the action purposely a bit high for a "whumpy" old school sound, but it plays well.
When/if you do find a bass, [url="http://www.chapel-allerton.org.uk/strings.html"]Jan is a good contact[/url] for a setup. He worked wonders with my bass which isn't a high quality bass by any means.

Cheers

Thanks Mr bassman, i have a gig late saturday night and wont probably get in till around 3am but can you remind me where and what time its on and i may be able to come but then i have the rest of family to appease so will have to se how it goes though it could be an excuse if it is a nice day for me and my son to take a trip on my Dnepr outfit, but that tends to take forever as it is a bit on the slow side, cheers mate, Jez.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' post='240923' date='Jul 16 2008, 03:05 PM']Just to let you guys know i have now got a Double Bass, thanks to Jas (Legion), cheers, Jez.[/quote]

The pleasure was all mine Jez, watching you play my fretless the way it was supposed to be played was a humbling experience thats for sure :)

Still working on those tips you gave me...

J