Why become a member? ×

Basses owned ( is one you want amongst these? )

Paul_C

I thought my total of basses previously owned had peaked at 55 (including the 10 I have right now), but I have remembered another 3 today, so that's 58

I haven't got pics for many of them, but I thought a list might amuse ..

Aria P bass
Maison
Squier Jazz
Gibson Thunderbird
Yamaha SBV/SBs (16)
Yamaha SB-2s (2)
Rickenbacker 4003s (4)
EB Musicman StingRays (4)
EB Musicman Bongo 4s (4)
EB Musicman Bongo 5s (2)
Pedulla Rapture J2
Epiphone EBO
Status Stealth 4
Status Stealth 6
Fender Precision '78
Fender Highway One Precision
Fender Std. Jazz
Lakland Skyline Jerry Scheff
NS CR4MG upright
Daisy Rock Butterfly
Aria Pro II
Modulus Sonic Hammer
Modulus Jazz
Fender MB5
Westone Thunder 1A
Westone Thunder II
Yamaha Attitude I
Fender Jaguar
Fender Urge I
Levinson Jazz
Ibanez Sr305
Squier Bronco (2)
Kubicki Factor
Dean acoustic
Washburn AB10 acoustic
Artizan acoustic
Fender Kingman acoustic
arrowheadguitars AGBM-1 (2)

Total now stands at 66 (of which I only own the last two these days)

Edited by Paul_C

Can't come close to Paul's total, but I've been through one or two in the last 25 years or so (* denotes JapCrap):

Grant medium-scale Jazz style thing*
No-name Les Paul shape medium scale thing*
Washburn B-20 Stage series*
Aria Pro II RSB Deluxe II*
Hohner B2A headless
Ibanez SR800FL fretless*
Ibanez SR800 fretted*
Peavey C20 5-string
Ibanez EDA-900 Ergodyne
Tokai Talbo*
CSL Jazz copy*
Ibanez 2366B Precision copy*
Yamaha SBV-500 (formerly a member of The Collection!)
Kasuga Rickenbugger 4001 copy*
Cimar Jazz copy*
Columbus Jazz copy*
Marlin P/J thing
Cheapo electro-acoustic Ebay special fretless
Franconia Jazz copy*
Wesley messed-up Rick-shaped thing
Kay/ Moridaira ten-ton Precision copy*
Aria STB-GT Precision/Stingray sex-on-a-stick hybrid

...and anything I might have overlooked!

I still own an unhealthy proportion of these. :)

Jon.

Well, I'm feeling numerically challenged. These are the only basses I've owned.

Framus Star (small body) - good but fell to pieces.
Gibson EB0 - awful sound, feel, everything.
Fender Precision - I thought it was good until I realised it wasn't. One of CBS's duffers.
Fender Precision Special - very good, should have kept it.
Musicman Stingray 5 - showed me why I don't like MM basses.
Wal 5 (Olive ash) - didn't like sound, should have kept it anyway.
Wal 5 (American Walnut) - great, love it to bits.
Lakland 55-94 Delux - great, love it to bits as well.

I've had the last 2 for nearly 10 years now. They'll out last me!

Here's my list of suspects, I still have the instruments in italics.

Sierra Precision - goddawful with a ply body
Westone Spectrum 2 - goddawful with a ply body, but had 2 pickups
Jaydee Supernatural Mark King - lovely but lacked a little warmth - very 80's sound.
Warwick Rock Bass - stunning value, can give a stingray a run for its money
Status Groove 5 - lovely bass, just couldn't get on with the offset body
Jaydee Custom Jazz - less said about this, the better
[u][i]Smith BSR5GN[/i][/u] - lovely bass, warm, growly but still has snap
[u][i]Pedulla Pentabuzz[/i][/u] - very special, completely fills the room and sustains for days
Smith BSR6GN - very nice but not as warm as the BSR5GN, I don't have the skill to fully exploit it
Modulus Sonic Hammer Deluxe - soo-poib bass, not for my style of music however
[u][i]Musicman Stingray[/i][/u] - brought back from the dead, after some major part transplants its everything I'd want a stingray to be
Alembic Elan 6 - needed a chiropractors warning, dark sounding
Pedulla MVP5 - lovely workmanship, just lacked warmth, couldn't fit Alembic pups and pre to match Pentabuzz so had to go
Musicman Cutlass 1 (#1) - nice bass, neck like a banana, sold it to a collector
Modulus Quantum 5 - nice bass, best suited a warm amp
Modulus Quantum 5 fretless - also nice bass, warmer than the fretted, had to get the neck sorted though
[u][i]Alembic Series 1[/i][/u] - very special, has the best fret job I've ever played
[u][i]Musicman Cutlass 1[/i][/u] (#2) - also very special, like a stingray on steroids
[u][i]Smith BSR5GN fretless[/i][/u] - lovely bass, can't get the action as low as the Pentabuzz though
[u][i]Celinder Update J 4[/i][/u] - lovely bass, probably the only jazz I'll ever need to own
[u][i]Celinder Update P 4[/i][/u] - lovely bass, probably the only precision I'll ever need to own

To come: Shuker Custom MIDI Headless 6

I still love graphite necked basses, I haven't found many that sound meaty like the Cutlass though. More graphite neck manufacturers should be putting wood fingerboards on their basses IMO, it dampens the clatter. They should also be experimenting with warmer body woods like bubinga instead of sticking with the same old ash/alder combinations.

I'm well down on numbers compared to you lot, but it's good fun to think of the guitars that have passed my way.

Westone Thunder I: My first bass, and I didn't realise how good it was at the time. Great build quality, came out of the Matsumoku factory.

1989 Musicman Stingray: Bought this from the same fella that I bought the Westone off - he decided he wanted to buy some "decks". His loss was my gain! Still have this and won't ever part with it, plays like a dream and has an amazing birdseye maple neck. Got bags of mojo now too.

Rickenbacker 4001 (early 80`s): This was a pile of cack to play, but sounded great. I kept it for a fortnight and swapped it for a brand new...

Rickenbacker 4003 Mapleglo: This was a stunning bass, but I never got on with the tone.

G&L ASAT Bass: Ridiculously lovely translucent red finish and beautiful, slim neck. I still feel pain when I think of how I parted with this. Amazing slap tone, fabulous versatility, but the neck used to dive so badly and I just couldn't live with it :-(

Warwick Thumb Bolt On: Probably the best all round tone I've had - cut through the mix wonderfully well. I only parted with it because I fell in love with a Jaydee Super Session.

1983 Jaydee Super Session: Completely impractical for me, this bass, but it was an amazing slap bass with a clear, punchy tone. Only sold it very recently, mainly due to me getting married and moving abroad in the near future.

1986 Wal Custom (Geddy Lee MK I): The bass I'd always wanted, although never thought I'd end up with a black Geddy Lee. Got it just before the prices went silly. This bass, looks and sounds evil. I cannot imagine a better rock-bass tone - that in itself makes up for the slightly uncomfortable body shape and strap balance. I hope I never have to sell it.

Lakland Skyline 5501 NTMB: Lovely 5 string, was really impressed with the quality. Never quite got on with the tone or the extra string.... I've since realised that Barts don't suit my personal taste, otherwise a wicked bass.

F Bass BN4: Stunningly beautiful bass in every way. Sublimely useable tone and wonderful quality, balance and playability. I've just recently sold this to a fellow BC'er. Hope it's still doing the biz, Peter.

Bravewood 1963 Jazz Bass "of Doom": Made for me by John at Bravewood, this is my own Jaco bass. A bit sad? Possibly! But it is amazingly authentic looking and sounds wonderful. Epoxy fingerboard coating, the works. I won't be selling this.

Sei Flamboyant 5: Very lovely looker, with practically every option available. This is the bass that confirmed that I don't like the sound of Bartolinis, so I had to reluctantly part with it.

Modulus Flea Bass: "One Off" Green flake finish! Played great, sounded good but preferred my Stingray. Used as a part-ex against my latest...

Fodera Monarch Classic: This is the bass that has cured my gas - which is just as well seeing as how I have to grow up and stop blowing my cash! It's taken me a little while to grow into this bass, and I think it really needed a few months playing in. Now I can't imagine playing anything else, it is effortless to play, sounds stunning and balances perfectly. It's a stunning looker without being too bling (spalted maple top with pale-moon ebony board (stripey!)).

That concludes the voting. Crikey, that's more than I thought!

Edited by Mokl

My List :)

Hohner HP Bass.(£169.95p)
I remember everything about this,it being my 1st instrument,1 piece maple neck with 'skunk stripe',20 frets,3ply white scratchplate,and Schaller hardware...oh and it was red.

I hassled my parents for about 10 months for a Bass,and it had to be a P style instrument coz I was mesmerized with Steve Harris, I remember having having stinking flu and it was the 28/11/1991 or maybe 1990? Grunge hadnt kicked in yet,good ol mum and dad wanted me to have the J style Marlin (that was 40 odd quid cheaper) to sooth the possible fad that their son was having,I remember it was the 1st time I'd ever really sat and picked up an instrument (except horrendous piano lessons,though many years later they proved to have been a great idea...thanks mum!!) and the insistance I had to have a P...any P not a jazz A P!!!! So Dad splashed the cash,with a cynical look (that 'Well this might be the biggest financial cock up before christmas' one) I forwent xmas prezzies yet I didnt care that year, I had a Bass...and bought my 1st practice amp and cable and case with relatives xmas cash,a Rhino 15w with 8" speaker (£75),its sitting beside me right now,its still crackly and has the treble knob missing and cracked corner protectors,but it has been terribly faithfull and travelled with me no matter where I live.

I took it to Gerry Bix in Bideford for a set up (nut problems) 3 years later,1st time I'd ever had a pro setup job,made a massive difference,I took my music GCSE with it,it was around that time I'd discovered that Ps have a pants slap tone,but were amazing for tapping and solos,I remember using standard rotos for years on it,until I discovered extra light guages,I think I was using a 35/30 as D and G in my final term (too much Les/Sheehan) and I always used rotos "Coz Steve does".

Kay Eb0 copy (£25)

Warped neck,bought from a schoolchum coz it looked like Jack Bruces Gibson,though quite how veneer sunburst looks like a worn cherry,in my mind I will never know. useless above the 7th fret,did one recording in school on it and it was destroyed.Cheap short scale poo.

Satillite P bass copy (£99?)

I was using my Hohner in college,and it had BAD pickups,microphonic,awful (I'd never plugged into anything louder than my praccy amp) and was told to 'Get something better' by the college tutors,so I bought this for about 90 quid,the fingerboard was a mess,but it was my 1st SOLID wood bass,natural Heavy as Ash body and maple and teak throughneck,and Lespaul style gold knobs,i got a fretjob done on it,to try and rid me of the buzzing but in reality it needed a new fingerboard and I didnt have a hope in hell of getting £150 to get it done. It had a Brass nut and a massive bridge with brass saddles and very very stubborn machineheads,at 11 1/2 lbs it gave me a bad spine and helped my 1st band play live (though I was singing and I lent it to another kid to play with live). I regret selling this Bass as it was very good,at what it did,it sounded nice through a cranked amp (I'd discovered Black Sabbath,Joy Divison,and The Sisters of mercy by now). It was the beginning of the ARGHs love affair with distortion,and the birthpangs of that never ending arguement that sadly haunts me "Bass SHOULDNT sound like that" and its other derivitives.

SO WHERE ARE WE NOW??? ah yes...

Aria Pro II MAB20 Fretless (£God knows..fretted neck was about £90)
I was going to be a singer,Bass was taking a backview,I had flogged the Satillite to a guy called Shane for £235 quid,how,dunno,but it was not worth that amount,but hey thats business :huh: :huh: and the Hohner was never being used,so I took the cash and traded it in (The neck was warping,and I was getting into slim necks) and thought I would become sensible and buy this Aria Fretless (David J of Bauhaus the guilt rests upon you!) and "ITS GOT 2 PICKUPS,SO THATS BETTER" it was a falsehood,it was black and that was goth,but I soon discovered (I'd also discovered Steve D of Sadus/Death) that I REALLY REALLY SUCKED AT FRETLESS!!!! It was passive,and soon found out that single coils are noisey horrid things and that just coz it looks right dosent mean it is right and if your fave player has one dosent mean you should,i struggled at blues jams with it,and realised all the chordial Motorheadesque stuff I was doing for the past few years was utter rubbish on this instrument in its present state,at this time I'd moved out from mum and dads in the hills and got a barjob,and shared a house in town,so with the cash I bought a fretted neck. And would switch to and from with this bass over the next 2 years.

Ibanez 886 6 String Bass (£699)
Ok,This was what I call a total 'Male chicken' buy :huh:
My mate had a 5 through college,that I was deeply jealous of (coz it was black and made by Aria,and Jeff Walker of Carcass had one,and it had a 2 octave neck,and 2 pickups (so it was BETTER!!) So I HAD to go and buy the most serious looking instrument in the town,Hell I was the most serious 'musician' in town :huh: :huh: And this was a hard lesson lernt,I could have spent 200 quid more and got and Alembic 'Spoiler' but no,I had to have a 6 (Dream Theater and Les again) and I was always playing in 3 pieces so I thought I would find the space sonically. SO I got it,and it was a case of,'Oh my god..what have i done'. I was not used to narrow string spacing at all,or the ultra big neck,and the price of restringing was a hard burden on the the young ARGHs wallet. Anyway,I had at least a 'WOW' factor at jams,and some guys started to take me seriously and I ended up in Leicester trying to form a metal band with a mate (by now I am 20) and we were stuck there in a freezing cold house,getting nowhere in a hostile city,that was not going to pay tuppence attention to a Scottish bloke and a skinny blackclad bumpkin. BUT SOMEWHERE ELSE DID. Mate got a call,to help out/audition with a signed band,that had fired their guitarist,and were under orders to 'GET A DEMO DONE OR YOUR OFF' by the record campany in Yorkshire. Mate goes,gets job,says "do you guys have a bassist?",turns out they'd always had to blag 'session' players (re:mates) guess who just fitted into the picture,I was later to find out why they never had a permanant Bassist as the Guitarist recently fired was a total W***ER!! SO off I went up north with 6 string in tow,lucky for me the drummer was a prog fan and a few Dream Theater licks plus the demo tunes recorded in my 1st pro studio (couldnt get any bigger half my record collection was recorded in this place!) And I got the job. I quit and walked away 5 months later (They wanted the old guitarist back...my mate left,I stuck it out...i found the above) anyway,the bass sounded awful on the record or rather the sound was ok,it just was REALLY tempremental in the cold and it was a cheap active,I was really uncomfortable playing it,so I wandered down Humberstone,to a small shop in late 98 and traded it for ....

Ibanez 84 Musician (Trade in + 4 sets of strings)
Natural finish,Felt good,Sounded good,cased,better active,LOUD!!! I defretted it in early 04,I rehearsed and jammed with this instrument alot until 01-02,and its made a comeback this year when I get bored onstage when playing fretted (I am better now I promise) It served my Geezer fixation coz it looked vaguely like his BCRich. Probably the heaviest bass Ive owned,not one for long wedding gigs,but really good for nearly all situs wether or not I need a fretless,it would be very faithfull for the next few years. Cant sell it,feels right! Which makes me baulk at the unknown reason I went out and felt the need to buy this....

80s Aria Pro II SB (£350??)
Twin pickup John Taylor job,I probably bought it coz it was throughneck active and lighter and looked like my Ibanez, it had a nice thin neck and a black stain finish and it sounded RUBBISH,awful awful awful WHY WHY WHY!!!! ARRRRGGGHHH KAK. used twice......traded that with the other Aria I still had and got.....

Fender 96 USA P-Bass (£295+2 trade in's)
Got one on a recommendation in early 01,Best thing I ever did,its pretty much paid for my morgage,took a month to pay the cash,and it was underpriced,its the mutts,its been always good,sounds right,ITS BLACK!! and covers all ground,heavy as...and has been modified,But it will never be sold,has been hurled accross stages,hit,kicked,headbutted,dropped (Keys player) and thumped,and still keeps going,Its even had the law on its side (thats a long story). Its sitting beside me now and has probably done the most mileage/gigs. I always use this on unknown gigs,because it dosent ever fail,it also drew me to start using Elites strings (string through body bridge) because Rotos were never long enough,even with the silk sliced.Its had a Dimarzio fitted for the last 4 years,new scratchplate,jack socket,nut,and is probably going to have a refret in the next 2-3 years. It causes relief in many an engineer,because it just sounds good (esp with the SansAmp) Its also compounded my naffed up spinal problem,so I bought this...

THE CRITTER
A hybrid copy thing made by Chris Wright (Status) and Paul C (Arrowhead guitars) I was needing something lighter,and after extreme pain after a 3 set wedding gig in 04 I bought this off of Chris via ebay,its essentially a Ritter copy shape headstock and body,with the neck dimensions and electronics of a Status. It weighs nothing,and has the Mark King 18v Active system with mid range boost,its polite,not very aggro,but does get me the Entwistle tone Ive been hunting for onstage,I think about flogging it now and then,buts its a workhorse,it does have a wide neck with a few deadspots,and is quite quiet and reserved for an active,doesnt have a supaphat low end like the Fender,but I can live with its faults,my spines thanked me ever since.

1950s German Ply upright
Cant believe this was destined for a skip in Bradford,my friend Lily Bennet(Probably the best acoustic instrument repair person in West Yorkshire),bought it in a very delapidated state,and remade a bridge,set the soundpost and bassbar,planed the fingerboard (Its rosewood) given it a new nut and cleaned up the headstock,It was a birthday prezzie to myself over 2 years ago,and has been a strength builder. I urge everyone to play the upright at least once,its where Bass is really 'at',its finish is nearly non existant,and its looks as if its been through a few wars,but its tone is amazing and clear for a cheap Upright (The E is very defined in the lower range,rather than being a toneless boom) I busk on this around Yorkshire. Say hello if you see me. Great for slow Blues.

Dark Hollow 'Templar' 5 string Fretless
Strange one this , www.thedarkhollow.com explains it all they are a father/son operation in Ohio,but its rustic,has no trussrod,passive big walnut body,ugly as sin,and a massive massive neck with the thickest slab of purpleheart for the fingerboard you've ever seen.I contacted the makers about making another instrument for me and they reply was "Thanks,but we cant do to much at the moment because the farm has been snowed infor the last few weeks!". but the tone is beautiful,so natural,Its very earthy sounding and the neck is quite similer to an uprights dimensions,if I ever joined a folk band or started doing 'world' music,I'd bring this along. Quite why I felt the need to buy 2 fretless 5s in a week i can only put down to my mental condidtion :huh:

AP fretless
Another ebay oddity,I bought it for parts,for naff all,got home and plugged it in cynically...
Now every band Ive played in with a keys player always has had the keys guy asking/begging me with the question "Do you have a 5 string?" And I apologised and said no,well,now I had one,and this was a monster,18v EMG pickup,smooth as ebony fingerboard,its rough as to look at bodywise as its a bedroom jobbie,but its tone is earth shaking with so much heft,i hardly need to touch the eq,the 1st time i hit that low string with the C and D the band lit up,It convinced everyone and myself this was now the standard.Active as hell,shifts air....serious AIR. Balances well,and I can now cope with narrow string spacing. This is the household walkabout fave after the Fender. proves risks are worth it with an unknown quantity,its also unlined and has massive WOW factor on gigs (just remember to bring a chorus with me each time). The Low B woke me back up to the possibilitys of the extended range,as everyone was smiling about the new lows,I wondered what it would be like to have more, And as I didnt like down tuning my instruments and restting them up for the various gigs,and I was getting REALLY bored playing a 4 string,and its restricted narrow range,I heard more,and wanted likewise,It brought me to think big mad and ARGH....In the end I bumped in someone who was as daring and wouldnt say no to my ideas

Jim Fleeting 9 String (NYNERA)
Coming soon,3 octave,Tulipwood body,Active...cant wait

Edited by ARGH

Kay SG bass - circa '70s (still own)
Samick MM bass (still own)
Hondo II
Harley Benton Acoustic (still own)
MIA Fender Precision 1984 '62 RI
MIA Fender Precision Bass Special 1997

Not an esteemed bunch. The sex was good.

Edited by paul, the

short scale Satellite bought from a junk shop for £25

Hohner Arbor P. still one of the best necks i have ever played.

Aria Pro II "the cat".

Brandoni neck-thru self build! i think it was an Eko in a former life.

MIJ Fender P.

MIM Fender J 5 string.

Shine 6 string.

Mania 4 string.

Wishbass custom 6 string fretless. (recently found it's way onto ebay)

MTD KIngston.

Fender Aerodyne.

Squier Vintage Modified J.

Yamaha BB614.

i've still got the last 3. i feel like i have had a lot more, but this is all i can remember.

[quote name='paul h' post='23371' date='Jun 26 2007, 09:09 AM']short scale Satellite bought from a junk shop for £25

Hohner Arbor P. still one of the best necks i have ever played.

Aria Pro II "the cat".

Brandoni neck-thru self build! i think it was an Eko in a former life.

MIJ Fender P.

MIM Fender J 5 string.

Shine 6 string.

Mania 4 string.

Wishbass custom 6 string fretless. (recently found it's way onto ebay)

MTD KIngston.

Fender Aerodyne.

Squier Vintage Modified J.

Yamaha BB614.

i've still got the last 3. i feel like i have had a lot more, but this is all i can remember.[/quote]

What did you think of the Mania Paul? I've always got the lingering thought in the back of my mind that I will one day sell up and by cheap electric, a combo and a reasonably expensive upright. The Mania basses have always been in the back of my mind.

paul.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='paul h' post='23391' date='Jun 26 2007, 09:57 AM']excellent for the £190 or so i think it cost me!

it was light as a feather, played well and the active eq was pretty versatile. it was a little bit soulless though. no real character to it but it was definitely a usable bass.[/quote]

Cheers, sounds a bit like my Samick. I've seen Toby Pros, OLP MMs and Aria Pro IIs go for less than that though - but it's certainly in mind - I like the bubinga with gold ones I've seen. Perhaps a pickup mod later in life would give it some personality.

Vintage Jazz bass copy,
Yamaha BB N5 II
Yamaha Attitude Special (still have),
Yamaha RBX 270 fretless (still have),
Dean Edge Q4,
Yamaha BB1200s,
Pedulla Rapture (still have),
Yamaha SBV 500, (still have, tuned BEAD),
Status Groove bass (still have).

Just noticed I've owned a lot of yamaha.

I've owned:

1966, 1968, 1969, 4 x 1973, 3 x 1975, 2 x 1976, 5 x 1978, 2 x modern USA - USA Fender Jazz Basses
Noel Redding Jazz, 2 x Geddy Lee Basses, about 10 x Fender Jap Jazzes
1974, 1976, 3 x 1978, 1980, 1983, and a few othe USA P Basses
3 or 4 Japanese ones (best one was shell pink :)
Couple of Wals
Couple of Stingrays
20 or so 'crappy' basses.

I've had over a hundred I guess (I build them as well) so I know what I want in a bass, which is the primary benefit of having all these.

However, I now only have 3. I guess when you've had a room full of 20 odd guitars, the 3 you reach for most regularly are the ones you keep I guess.

They're all jazz basses, they're all vintage ones and they all play brilliantly!

Kay plywood piece of cack
Hondo pro 2 piece of cack
Squire P bass one of the first ones-why oh why didn't i keep it
Honer headless
Honer headless fretless
Aria of some type-only a cheapo
Aria super bass 900- i think
Music man Sabre -should have kept this too-a genuine late 70's with origional case if i remember correctly
Fender MIM Jazz bass
Fender MIM P bass
Fender MIA Jazz bass-this had a larger top horn than a normal Jazz-anyone remember them-looked crap really
Fenix Jazz bass copy
Fender MIJ 60's Jazz bass in candy apple red-should have kept this too
Squire silver series P bass
Fender P bass special -the one with P & J pups & gold anodised plate
Fender MIA '62 Jazz bass in lpb--dodgy neck & weak sound it had to go
Cort A5 Artisan 5 string - too many strings
Cort Josh Paul 5 string - see above
Warwick Streamer LX 4 sting
Warwick Corvette $$
Musicman Stingray 3eq
some dodgy luthier built fretless Jaco style Jazz bass
Fender MIA S1 Jazz bass - 3tsb + maple board - simply the best bass i ever played *
Squire vintage modified Jazz bass - the fretted one
Fender MIJ P bass in coral pink -sorry about the colour *
Fender Jaguar bass *

could be a couple i've forgotten about.
* = ones i have now

Edited by artisan

This will test my memory:
Encore
Aria SB
Another Aria
Bass Collection SB5
Status Kingbass 5
Stingray 4
Stingray 5
Jaydee Roadie
Stingray 4
Squier PB
Lakland 5502
Lakland DPLE1
Giannini Rica Copy
Lakland DJ4
Fender 1978PB

Edited by phsycoandy

Interesting topic. I have had a modest amount of basses pass thru my hands.

1 x Guild B301-f
1 x Stagg jazz bass.
3 x MIM Jazz bass,
1 x MIJ Jazz bass (i really really regret selling this)
1 x MIM P Bass (modded with quarter pounders, again i regret letting this one go)
1x Squire vintage modified 70's Jazz
1 x Squire Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz
2 X Geddy Lee Jazz Bass (one i still have)
1 x Marcus Miller Jazz bass. (I still have)
3 x Jetglow Rickenbacker 4003's (one i still have)
1 x Modulus Flea Bass (which I miss)
2 x EB Stingrays
1 x Cort Curbow 5'er
1 x Yamaha RBX270
1 x Husdon Electro Acoustic
1 x AXL p/j bass (signed by the chili peppers)
1 x Squire bronco bass.

Im sure there are more that i dont remember.

Nick

Owned - 2002 Rockbass Corvette
late 70s Avon Grabber copy
2005 MIM Fender Precision
2005 Warwick Streamer Jazzman Fretless

Own - 2007 Status S2 Classic 5 string bolt on
late 80s/early 90s Status Series 1 NT 5 string
1986 NJ BC Rich Mockingbird
1995 Encore P bass copy (my first bass)

Lets see...
In the order I bought them:

Burns Sonic short scale bass (including Burns hard case)
Futurama Bass (the only one I've sold so far)
Washburn B105 5 string
Overwater Original 2 extra-long scale 5 string
Gus G3 5 string
Kramer XKB-10
Hondo Alien (Kramer Duke copy)
Wesley Acylic (de-fretted)
Washburn B-20 8 string (currently in pieces being renovated)
Squire Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz Bass (upgraded with Badass II bridge, Bartolini J P-ups and J-Retro Pre-amp)
Roberts Fretless Prototype
British Custom Guitars V-shape bass (bought in an uncompleted state - still to be finished)
Traben Phoenix 5 string
Lightwave Sabre A (with fretless and fretted necks - current fitted with the fretless neck)
Carlo Robelli 8-string
Pedulla Buzz

I've owned just four basses over a thirty year period. My first was a Kimbara Jazz Bass Copy, bought new sometime in 1977. A beautiful looking Jap copy with natural blonde finish and a great tone, but as I recall, very heavy. I had it defretted at some point, and eventually sold it some time in the mid to late eighties. I was then bassless for many years (my main instrument is piano), until about three years ago when I took a Peavey Milestone III from a Cash Converters for £50 including gigbag.

I'd forgotten how much fun playing bass was, and was soon re-converted to the cause. After a year or so, I decided I'd treat myself to a 'proper' bass, and started visiting music shops. It was only after trying a few that I realised how light the Peavey is by comparison - memories of lugging the Kimbara in its solid case came flooding back, and I resolved that any new bass would be no heavier than the Peavey's 8 lbs. Which is how I ended up buying a Fender Aerodyne Jazz, bass #3.

I kept the Peavey, as it was convenient to have two basses, one at home and one left at a friend's house where I played regularly. After another year or so of switching from one to the other on a regular basis, and using both for recording projects, I came to the conclusion that there really wasn't much to choose between them in feel or sound, and I realised that I actually slightly preferred the neck on the Peavey, which was also quieter for recording use. I sold the Aerodyne for about £20 less than I'd paid for it, and bought another Peavey Milestone III off ebay for...£50 including gigbag. So I now have 2 identical basses (except for the colour) for a total of £100. I have no plans or desire to buy another (well, maybe an EUB one day, when I've retired and have the time to learn it).

Loving them Peaveys! :)

E

fender stu hamm urge 1
fender mij jazz
fender special precision
fender precision
fender mia deluxe jazz
squier precision
lakland DJ
MM stingray
washburn of some kind
spector of some kind
warick streamer $$
ibanez atk
gigsby jazz copy
peavey jazz copy
brunswick acoustic bass

i think thats it.

Edited by nash

Maison PJ bass - sold
Ibanez SGR series (x2) - sold
Spector Performer (i think it's the one you might of ended up with Nash?) - sold
Spector Q4 - sold
Spector Euro 4LX - current
Spector Euro 4 - sold
Ibanez Blazer 1980 - current
Ibanez Blazer 1981 - current
Fender USA Jazz - swapped for Euro 4

my turn!

Westone Thunder 1A - actually belonged to the College, but it spent a year living in my house
Ibanez Blazer Bass
Hohner P copy - borrowed off a mate for a year
USA Precision, modified with a J added, and a bass boost.
Guild B-301
Bass Collection 4 string
USA Jazz
MM Sub, passive
Shuker 6 - custom
Carvin LB75P

is what I can remember. Still have the last 3.

Edited by MacDaddy