Why become a member? ×

What strings do you BassChat DB'ers play?

Clarky

Spirocore mediums. Peter (Beverley Music Centre) who does my bass work suggested them as good all round set for what I do. When I get good enough that a different string might make a significant difference (and I have some cash) then I may experiment with strings. Until then I'm happy using this set which at least gives a steady reference point to judge my progress and sound.

Steve

The day I tried guts the experiments ended and I happiness ensued. In some of the bands I play in I need just a trifle of sustain on the low strings so I am now a very satisfied user of the Blast Cult Tone Mongers set (low tension steels E and A with pure gut D and G).

I have Innovation strings on both my basses- Rockabillys on the ply DB and Silver Slaps on the Eminence. I really like the tension of the rockabillys and the strong fundamental sits perfectly in the mix of my scrumpy'n'western band. I've only recently put the Silver Slaps on the Eminence -my jazz/soul trio is on a break so I thought I'd work on my slapping. It turns out that the low tension of these strings works really well with the inherent brighter sound and greater sustain of the Eminence.

I'm also a massive fan of Velvet strings, particularly the Garbos - they sound amazing on my East German ply when playing solo or recorded, but they don't suit the sound of the band.

Edited by TheRev

Currently I've got Velvet Animas on my main bass, and I love the rich tone they've got, although I'm still not 100% sure about the G and I'm always tempted to try another Evah Weich, which I tried on my other bass and liked but haven't tried on this one.

My ply/busking bass is strung with Cordes Lambert Gut Twins but previously had Silver Slaps on it. I prefer the Slaps for their lovely full pizz sound and sheer volume, but the Lamberts sound much better slapped.

I run Velvet Animas too. I had Honeys and Evah weichs. I'm going for a change in setup soon with a drastic lowering in action and might try Spiro weichs or mitts. To tell the truth, I'm a little scared about the change as the tone I get now is the best so far but I can't deal with the high action after my arm/elbow issue this past year, so the action needs to drop.

Steve (oggiesnr), is it Peter Hall that you use out in Beverley? I'm thinking trying him. Does he do good work?

I loved the tone of Animas but I found I couldn't play as fast as with Spiros (some of my band's stuff has quite fast triplet-y Spanish bits and I kept fluffing those). I would be quite interested at some stage to try some Garbo Lights, which are similar in size to Animas but 2kg lower tension per string. But I've spent more than enough on strings for now!

Edit: I put some Presto Nylonwound Ultralights (gut-alike strings) on my Baby Bass this week, in an effort to make it feel and sound more DB-like and so far they are working out really well. I took it to the BassBash yesterday and everyone seemed to like the tone and feel

Edited by Clarky

Salty Dog Weedwhackers on my Baby clone.

Didn't like the 'proper' Spiro ones that came on it (made it sound like an EUB not a DB).

Chucked on a set of WW's out of curiosity (hey, $30 shipped is cheap for DB strings!) and totally changed the sound of the instrument. Real old school DB tone in spades!!!
They made the tone much darker and fatter and they have 'that click' sound that's just right for what I do (with my so far, limited technique). They even sound great pizz- great volume and clarity.

They are also much easier on the fingers of a noob like myself!
And they come any colour you like! B)
Can't speak highly enough of them, but I know they aren't everybody's cup of tea.

Cheers
Colin

Edited by basshead56

If anyone wants to hear the difference between some of the strings mentioned above, this is a great site. Click on the link called Saiten (strings) and there's a grid of various string types, played different ways (walking, groove, long tones etc) http://www.hervejeanne.de

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1379933774' post='2218313']
If anyone wants to hear the difference between some of the strings mentioned above, this is a great site. Click on the link called Saiten (strings) and there's a grid of various string types, played different ways (walking, groove, long tones etc) [url="http://www.hervejeanne.de"]http://www.hervejeanne.de[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing that Clarky - it's great that someone has taken the time to be scientific about it. It would be great if there was a "Pepsi challenge' option where you could listen to a few clips, pick your favourite and then it reveals the string.

Thanks again

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1379874643' post='2217686']
Steve (oggiesnr), is it Peter Hall that you use out in Beverley? I'm thinking trying him. Does he do good work?
[/quote]

I've just used him on Steve's suggestion. Very reasonable cost, very good quality work. I had a sprung seam mended, a new nut, the bridge straightened and lowered and a new set of strings fitted. Came in below the quote by a reasonable amount, and I thought the original quote was very, very fair. Great old fashioned service, and I'll be gladly sending more business his way when it's time to do some more upgrades and adjustments.

4/4 5 string bass: Evah Pirazzi mittel most for orchestral and chamber music

4/4 4 string bass: Efrano plain gut strings for baroque music, tuning D A d g (D A = stark, d g = mittel)

5 string EUB (CR5M): Spirocore mittel

4 string EUB (old Harley Benton semi acustic): D'Addario Helicore Orchestra

Edited by Basstroker

Interesting to see such diversity in strings but as Clarky's suggestion it would be interesting to see why it is that people have settled for their particular strings? Here I am thinking of tension that makes the bass sing or growl, comfort, that 'certain' sound, volume, tone, for arco work, etc

For me I love Kaplans ( medium tension ) - great for a rich bowed sound and similar to Belcantos and Evas , but also on my 104cm bass sound great pizz.

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1380192080' post='2222036']
Interesting to see such diversity in strings but as Clarky's suggestion it would be interesting to see why it is that people have settled for their particular strings?
[/quote]

I settled on guts because all the music I love was recorded with the the DB walking or slapping on guts. I really really wanted to avoid them given the cost, maintenance, tuning and need for a much higher action and various bass mods. However, nothing else sounds quite like them.

[quote name='Johannes Oehl' timestamp='1380284409' post='2223242']
I tried lots of different strings but I alway come back to Thomastik Spirocore. They are loud, durable and sound good for pizz and bowing.
[/quote]

What's your preference for Spiros, mitts or weichs? I ask as I'm changing my setup for lower action, but my playing is a bit heavy handed. Just wondering if one is less clacky then the other.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1380302506' post='2223598']
What's your preference for Spiros, mitts or weichs? I ask as I'm changing my setup for lower action, but my playing is a bit heavy handed. Just wondering if one is less clacky then the other.
[/quote]

Weichs for me and not at all clacky with normal action (8-10, I think). It's the singing quality on the higher notes and strings that does it for me. Not sure it suits my band, but I'm hooked. E maybe not as beefy as I'd like, though.

Spiro mittel E is definately more beefy than the weich. I use 4/4 mittel on my 3/4 bass. They have less tension than a mittel 3/4, and that does it for me just fine. I also tried mittel for E and A and weich for the other strings. Works very good, too. I like the overall bright and precise sound of the Spiros.

At the moment I'm using some kind of Spirocore string on my G4Music bass, it does the job. When I brought the bass nearly 18 months ago, I didn't know anything about strings.. (I still don't)

Anyway I'm looking to try out new strings when I get a new bass, I play mainly jazz but still practice and play with the bow. I've read numerous threads on this and Oliv strings (although expensive sounds the bees knees) only on particular strings though.

I might have to try out the Oliv on the G and D strings;

1: How long do they last? (or can last)
2: Problems with this particular strings?

A lot of people have said because of the humidity the strings have unwound? broken? (surely this wouldn't be as much of a problem here because our climate is more stable?)

Still undecided about the 'E' and 'A' string - Any suggestions?
- Looking for 'fat' tone, with a lot of sustain.

The Evah Pirazzi are recommended but then which string type is the right one? (Can someone explain the differences?) (Mittel? Weich? Solo Synthetic?)

Regarding Olivs, I haven't had them long but I understand they can last a couple of years. Slapping can shorten their life as I believe the principal risk is of the metal winding coming away from the gut. The nut and bridge also have to have appropriate sized slots so as not put pressure on the windings as you tune.

Regarding tuning, mine can easily shift a half tone overnight if the temperature changes. To my mind this is the biggest nuisance with these otherwise wonderful sounding/playing strings.

Lots of people seem to use Spirocore, Obligato or Evah E/A with Olivia D/G. I don't have a problem with the Oliv A so I use Oliv A/D/G with a Spiro Mittel E. If I did arco, I am guessing Evah E would be a better match.

There's. ton of threads on Olivs on TalkBass. Just search the strings forum. Here's the link:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f17/