Why become a member? ×

Finding the perfect double bass? (Bryant, Jay Haide, Upton) (£5,500) Limit.

SevenSeas

Dear Bass Chatters,

These threads have come up a lot but obviously as time passes new double basses options are available!

I'm going through the exciting but painful process of finding a double bass (hopefully that will last me a very long time, I would like to say it would the bass I will be using for the next 10 years minimum (as I'll never see this sort of money when i'm a student).

Originally I thought I was going to try out Paul Bryants Soloist model, be completely made up, pay him and been eternally happy. (however this might not happen or I might love it and It will be fine)

Therefore I need to try out some more options that are available;

The Jay Haide Panorma Model, (probably by Martyn Bailey) seems another good options, anyone got any opinions?

The other option a bit more crazy but I have heard very good things about Upton Basses, acquiring one of these basses would be difficult? (Has anyone had one imported from the shop all the way over to the UK) So I could try one?
(Brescian Model) http://www.uptonbass.com/Upton-Bass-Hybrid-Semi-Deluxe-Flatback-Double-Bass/

I have relatives who live quite close (10 hours.. in america terms) to the shop, so maybe slightly crazy. I could fly over and try the bass (maybe have a mini holiday as my relatives are there... making it worth while) then flying back.

Budget is £5.500. That is the Maximum I could go.

I play mainly jazz but still play with the bow, so would like a bass that has the potential to do both well.

Problem with importing a DB from the States is paying import duty taxes + the joys and expense of having a bass in transit! What are your thoughts about a [url="http://www.thomasmartin.co.uk/instrumentsforsale/martindoublebassesforsale"]Thomas Martin[/url] bass ? I think that you may just slide in there with your budget !

If I was you... Bryant is you best bet... there isn't anything wrong with them... my buddy has just got another one and recorded a universal movie few weeks back... So... It did the job... I think he maybe selling his bigger Bryant but I will have to talk to him ! A panormo one sounds nice!

Only thing is "wrong" with my bass was -
The only thing Rodger Dawson and Sam said was you could use a file on the nut and a the fingerboard planed !! These instruments will serve you well... Just don't fret over it. The basses work :)

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1379673735' post='2215505']
If I was you... Bryant is you best bet... there isn't anything wrong with them... my buddy has just got another one and recorded a universal movie few weeks back... So... It did the job... I think he maybe selling his bigger Bryant but I will have to talk to him ! A panormo one sounds nice!

Only thing is "wrong" with my bass was -
The only thing Rodger Dawson and Sam said was you could use a file on the nut and a the fingerboard planed !! These instruments will serve you well... Just don't fret over it. The basses work :)
[/quote]

I understand what you're saying Floyd, I'm just going by lots of different opinions. (two double bassists I know, who are both exceptional who both have owned Bryants basses, (One recommended the Jay Haide) the other one said it would be hit and miss. (thats why i'm trying out as many basses as I can)

That doesn't mean Paul doesn't make great instruments, just before I find 'the one' I should explore all my options.

The 3 Bryants i have played have all been exceptional bass's. Huge sound and a very complex i would nearly describe it as. They're all used by profs over here.

They also all needed work when they arrived. Everyone who i've met who owns one or has one has said they're rough when they come in. Repair seam splits, put on a right sized bridge, plan the fingerboard all that stuff. You could end up doing all that with any bass by any maker.

This is just what i've heard and from the 3 i've played. Saying all that though, i would love to own one and as soon as Paul completely stops making them the prices will shoot up.

Edited by fatgoogle

If you can get a Bryant, It'd definitely be my first choice. All basses are likely to need a bit of work to meet your optimum setup requirements (also, you might not know what those are until you've played a quality instrument for a while, I'm still experimenting). Jay Haide basses are really quite nice - but I'd be thinking of the smaller one for jazz.

I get what you mean.

1. [size=4]You could go for the safe option, a Chinese factory made bass set up by Martyn Bailey. It'll be well set up and will play nicely and probably sound very nice, but the downside is it will always be a Chinese factory bass made to a certain price with constraints on time and materials, and will probably go down in value if selling it on is an option in the future.[/size]

[size=4]2. You could effectively add a third again to your budget by buying a bass in the States. Upton are certainly well liked over there and presumably they'd set it up well as they have a reputation to keep. The downside is once it's back over here you won't have much recourse if anything goes wrong unless you're prepared to go through allot of hassle shipping it back and forth. The other issue is the Brescian within your budget will be a 'standard' model, not one of their 'special or professor' models, so like the Jay Haide, it'll be made to a certain set of criteria but is effectively a 'production' bass.[/size]

[size=4]3. The wild card Bryant. The flawed genius amongst the choices. You'll undoubtedly get closer to a master built instrument than either of the other two, and I know they hold their value pretty well, that's asides from his imminent retirement which certainly won't harm the value. The down side is their reputation of needing a bit of work, but even a board shoot and new bridge won't add a huge amount to the budget (a couple of hundred quid?).[/size]

[size=4]It's pretty rare for any player to be totally comfortable with a new instrument - it'll need a few months of really good hard playing to open it up, and unless it starts out unplayable, it's probably wise to play it a good while before you decide whether you want it darker, brighter, more balanced, less growly. It doesn't matter how well it's set up when you buy it, I'll pretty much guarantee you'll want it changed in some way after a few months.[/size]

[size=4]I would go for a Bryant, no hesitation.[/size]

Import duty is a huge amount I'm afraid.
You are looking at 3.2% of the total price, plus shipping, plus vat 20% on this total. I am nearly sure of this because I am currently going through this process myself. For shipping only you are looking at £500, plus £150 duty, plus over £1200 Vat: taking a £5000 bass up to over £6500.
Unfortunately for us all the tax man is not silly and has recently "wisened" up to the "gift" scam. You will pay the same amount of tax and duty on a gift, unless you declare that the bass is worth nothing, in which case you pay no tax at all, but if they damage it in transit prepare to cry because there is no insurance cover.

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1379693130' post='2215830']
Import duty is a huge amount I'm afraid.
You are looking at 3.2% of the total price, plus shipping, plus vat 20% on this total. I am nearly sure of this because I am currently going through this process myself. For shipping only you are looking at £500, plus £150 duty, plus over £1200 Vat: taking a £5000 bass up to over £6500.
Unfortunately for us all the tax man is not silly and has recently "wisened" up to the "gift" scam. You will pay the same amount of tax and duty on a gift, unless you declare that the bass is worth nothing, in which case you pay no tax at all, but if they damage it in transit prepare to cry because there is no insurance cover.
[/quote]

Yep, that's the truth, you will still pay the same duty if you bring it in yourself as well. You're far better off buying a British or EU instrument.

Above people are talking about Bryants as if they're still being produced, did I miss something?

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1379693644' post='2215842']
Above people are talking about Bryants as if they're still being produced, did I miss something?
[/quote]

So far as I know he stopped making instruments for specific customers but he's still making a few at his leisure, which all seem to go.

I hope you're still taking care of that lovely maple fretless P Chris ;)[size=4] [/size]

Edited by henry norton

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1379694321' post='2215862']
So far as I know he stopped making instruments for specific customers but he's still making a few at his leisure, which all seem to go.

I hope you're still taking care of that lovely maple fretless P Chris ;)
[/quote]

Ah, guess there's be some demand for those?

FL? Yes, I'm looking at it as I type, it's a stunner in every way, took a long time to find one that good. There's something magical about maple fretless precisions :)

C