Why become a member? ×

Finding the perfect double bass? (Bryant, Jay Haide, Upton) (£5,500) Limit.

SevenSeas

You know the simple matter is that if you buy an instrument of that value you have a legal duty to show the customs the paper work and pay the taxes - its the law.

Although you can rehearse any 'what if' scenario , the risks are that if get rumbled the authorities will treat you as a criminal ( technically where do you draw the line between someone who is passionate about the DB wanting to bring thier baby home without paying the required import tax and someone who wants to bring jewellery into back into the UK to sell at a huge profit ? ).

The way you will get caught is by being asked a pile of well played questions and being observed.

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1379716593' post='2216253']
You know the simple matter is that if you buy an instrument of that value you have a legal duty to show the customs the paper work and pay the taxes - its the law.

Although you can rehearse any 'what if' scenario , the risks are that if get rumbled the authorities will treat you as a criminal ( technically where do you draw the line between someone who is passionate about the DB wanting to bring thier baby home without paying the required import tax and someone who wants to bring jewellery into back into the UK to sell at a huge profit ? ).

The way you will get caught is by being asked a pile of well played questions and being observed.
[/quote]

You're definitely right, i'm glad everything has been cleared up. I couldn't risk the bass being rumbled by customs and I would have to fly over to try out the bass.

I think the appeal of all things American is because it's a big country with lots of bass players who are all on talkbass and therefore one manufacturer gets well known to talkbass readers over in the UK.

I'm sure Upton make nice instruments but there are no magic instruments, there's just a variety of options at different price points, and lots of dealers with very different mark ups in the UK. Violin dealing involves a lot of smoke and mirrors, locked front doors and antique valuation and therefore buying a double bass is absolutely nothing like buying a bass guitar. If you're coming from electric bass to double bass it's especially confusing.

It's good that we're able to share all the different options and obviously there aren't a huge number of options at low prices but hang in there.

I've got a Bryant and it's lovely but it might not be everyone's cup of tea. It's certainly good value for money but I have played better instruments, though they cost a lot more. I've played worse instruments that cost a lot more as well and better instruments which weren't right for me as well.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1379750632' post='2216373']
I think the appeal of all things American is because it's a big country with lots of bass players who are all on talkbass and therefore one manufacturer gets well known to talkbass readers over in the UK.

I'm sure Upton make nice instruments but there are no magic instruments, there's just a variety of options at different price points...
[/quote]

As I posted previously, the Upton ranges within your budget are built to a specific (relatively low) price - they're not 'master built' instruments and you won't get a better instrument than one that's come from a Chinese factory (like Jay Haide). The likes of Upton are unlikely to offer to 'dumb down' the price on the invoice either. Just stick to the UK or Europe.

I don't think there's any need to go to America for a carved bass when you can get such lovely instruments in the UK. What America does have is outstanding plywoods like American Standards and Blast Cult which fit in with their tradition of great American roots music and give that outstanding loud and direct sound you need for bluegrass, Western swing, rockabilly and the likes. Unfortunately in Europe plywood instruments are thrown together badly, with the exception of the outstanding work of Thomas Schmukers' Duke double basses in Germany. I own a custom made Duke and it sounds better to me than any bass I have ever owned or played. Until Thomas came on the scene, a roots music pro would really have to get a bass in the US. Otherwise we'd end up with a shiny box of woodchip.
For your purposes Andrew, I'd say stay in the UK or maybe Emanuel Wilfer in Germany?

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1379770405' post='2216607']
I don't think there's any need to go to America for a carved bass when you can get such lovely instruments in the UK. What America does have is outstanding plywoods like American Standards and Blast Cult which fit in with their tradition of great American roots music and give that outstanding loud and direct sound you need for bluegrass, Western swing, rockabilly and the likes. Unfortunately in Europe plywood instruments are thrown together badly, with the exception of the outstanding work of Thomas Schmukers' Duke double basses in Germany. I own a custom made Duke and it sounds better to me than any bass I have ever owned or played. Until Thomas came on the scene, a roots music pro would really have to get a bass in the US. Otherwise we'd end up with a shiny box of woodchip.
For your purposes Andrew, I'd say stay in the UK or maybe Emanuel Wilfer in Germany?
[/quote]

I'll have to check out Emanuel Wilfer thanks for the suggestion, would there be any additional costs from bringing it over from Germany?

[quote name='SevenSeas' timestamp='1379792666' post='2216875']
I'll have to check out Emanuel Wilfer thanks for the suggestion, would there be any additional costs from bringing it over from Germany?
[/quote]

It's in the EU Open Market so, apart from shipping, no (same as buying from Thomann).

Steve

I might have found something useful;

The Contrabass shop have the Jay Haide in stock for £5,500 however what seems most appealing is their guarantee...

[color=#800000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial][size=2]"You will find our [/size][/font][/color][color=#663333][font=Verdana, Arial][size=2][b]price structures[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#800000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial][size=2] for instruments very competitive. Because we work on a large and quick turnover of stock, we are able to offer the [/size][/font][/color][color=#663333][font=Verdana, Arial][size=2][b]vendor[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#800000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial][size=2] a much higher price than an auction house, frequently with an instant cash settlement, whereas every prospective [/size][/font][/color][color=#663333][font=Verdana, Arial][size=2][b]purchaser[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#800000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial][size=2] will be pleased because our mark up is only small. For those musicians who wish to upgrade to a better quality instrument then our [/size][/font][/color][color=#663333][font=Verdana, Arial][size=2][b]guarantee[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#800000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial][size=2] to accept your instrument back at its [/size][/font][/color][color=#663333][font=Verdana, Arial][size=2][b]full purchase price[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#800000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial][size=2], whatever the stage of your career, is a comforting reassurance of our integrity."[/size][/font][/color]

So are they saying, I could buy one of their... 'budget' basses, play it for x amount of years, bring it back to the shop and then if I wanted to upgrade to one of their better basses I could trade in the old one and get exactly the same amount off a new double bass?

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1379798362' post='2216952']
Does anyone have a price list for the Emanuel Wilfer basses? They look really good and have a solid rep as a top european maker.
[/quote]

Hi Geoff, I've just sent him an email asking for a quote on the';

"Violin" and "Venezia" models.

Andrew.

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1379802000' post='2216999']
I had a Wilfer gamba model bass, which I sold at the start of this year. It was an outstanding jazz bass, but it just wasn't my bass. But in terms of workmanship, wonderful indeed.
[/quote]

How did you acquire the bass, did you go over to the workshop and try one or order one and hope for the best?

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1379801523' post='2216991']
Thanks for sharing that video, what a great guy.... but it's not helping my double bass gas! I would love a trip to the workshop to try some basses, especially the Venezia and solo model.
[/quote]

If the prices are going to be in my range £5,500.... then I think not trying them out would be foolish.

Haha what is this expression, double bass gas?

Ubassman and I was at the Paul ellison masterclass few months back and one of the students is selling their bass... He was playing the Reinhold Gilere Tarrentella piece on it and the bass sings...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153247011250333&set=pcb.510741085682397&type=1&theater