Why become a member? ×

Issues with my Phil Jones bass gear

SpaceChick

Ok, my set up.... A PJB M300 amp (450 watts at 4ohms), 2 x PJB 4B cabs.... Plugged into the amp is my Boss GT10B, I have a splitter pedal attached to the boss which my Ibanez SR300 fretless and Ibanez SR1000 feed in to.

My issue... If I leave the limiter switched on the amp the volume is tiny, and if I turn up the volume just a bit it gives out a hideous croaky noise. If I leave the limiter off, the gain on the active input it still set quite low or the overload flashes, however, the main volume can go to a decent level and throws out some good bass sounds.

For gigs, I can go through the PA if I need to, but our PA is quite old and I'd rather rely on my own gear.

Will I be damaging my amp if I permanently keep the limiter off? The volume is pants if it's on. Also, as long as I keep the overload light from flashing, am I going to be OK.

I really thought when I bought the PJB gear that I was buying a kit to last me for life, now I'm wondering is it really the best thing for me.

Any advice gratefully received.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1379681823' post='2215658']
Ok, my set up.... A PJB M300 amp (450 watts at 4ohms), 2 x PJB 4B cabs.... Plugged into the amp is my Boss GT10B, I have a splitter pedal attached to the boss which my Ibanez SR300 fretless and Ibanez SR1000 feed in to.

My issue... If I leave the limiter switched on the amp the volume is tiny, and if I turn up the volume just a bit it gives out a hideous croaky noise. If I leave the limiter off, the gain on the active input it still set quite low or the overload flashes, however, the main volume can go to a decent level and throws out some good bass sounds.

For gigs, I can go through the PA if I need to, but our PA is quite old and I'd rather rely on my own gear.

Will I be damaging my amp if I permanently keep the limiter off? The volume is pants if it's on. Also, as long as I keep the overload light from flashing, am I going to be OK.

I really thought when I bought the PJB gear that I was buying a kit to last me for life, now I'm wondering is it really the best thing for me.

Any advice gratefully received.
[/quote]

Is there a mix or volume setting on the limiter? Might be worth looking into your settings :)

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1379682303' post='2215665']
Have you tried each bass in a separate channel and then running the pedal board in the fx loop?
[/quote]

I haven't tried that! May be worth giving it a shot!

My only concern doing that is switching between basses, as I surely would need to turn the volume off on the amp on the channel to do it.... Or would it work like it does now with the switcher pedal in that I can just do the foot activated volume off and on on the GT10b?

Sorry, I always get lost of the amplification side of things!!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1379687323' post='2215745']

My only concern doing that is switching between basses, as I surely would need to turn the volume off on the amp on the channel to do it.... Or would it work like it does now with the switcher pedal in that I can just do the foot activated volume off and on on the GT10b?

[/quote]

Can you just kick the tuner on with your GT10B? I've got my Line 6 M13 in the effects loop of my GB Streamliner and always use the tuner to mute the output when plugging or unplugging.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1379687323' post='2215745']

[/quote]

tonyf's suggestion of muting via the GT should work. Failing that just turn the volume knob on the bass down as you take it off ;)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1379681823' post='2215658']
[/quote]

This one?

Not assuming you need teaching how to suck eggs (if you've tried all these things) but simply asking all the questions that pop into my head ;)

What's your eq setting on the amp like? The PJB eq is very sensitive and could throw your signal into overload v easily!

Are you plugging your basses into the passive or active socket?

Are your basses known for being particularly high output? (I've no idea about modern Ibby basses)

Have you got your multifx set to max volume?
(this ones yes?)

Try:
Flat eq on the amp (if it isn't already)
Turn down the output volume on your multifx to 50% and bring up the input gain to about 12 o'clock (with the master set fairly low so you don't hurt anyone), how does that sound?
Consider losing the selector switch and using the vol pedal on the gt10 to mute when switching basses...or
Connect the gt10 into the effects loop on the back of your amp (from fx-send of amp to in of pedal, from out of pedal to fx-return on amp)
When you get a sound you're happy with out of your amp then try adding in the limiter but on a very minor setting so that it allows you to play as you normally do but takes the edge off any louder notes you might play by accident? or just leave it off altogether?

Edited by andydye

Thanks, always appreciate hearing views.

Both pictures are my stuff!!

I keep my PJB eq flat, as I do EQ based on the effect I use.

I could turn down the output on the Boss, as that is fairly high at the moment.

I'll have a play when I'm at rehearsal on Tuesday. (I use a small Peavy practice amp at home)

My Ibby SR1000 is VERY powerful, my SR300 less so, so I keep my SR1000 volume lower.

I use the active inputs as they are both active basses.

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by SpaceChick

I'd play around with the limiter as the control is sort of counter intuitive being fully on when most other knobs would be off. Failing that, contact Phil Jones support as they are probably the quickest and most helpful support team I've ever come across (other manufacturers take note!).

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1379778524' post='2216700']
contact Phil Jones support as they are probably the quickest and most helpful support team I've ever come across (other manufacturers take note!).
[/quote]+1 to that, extremely helpful bunch of people.

• 3 weeks later...

The equipment is fine and dandy, just not enough headroom for my band. So I have put it up for sale and have bought a bigger rig.

So the issue isn't with the gear, it's with me and my band. By having the volume high of my effects board, i was inadvertantly trying to push it further than its limits. When you are trying to get through mic'd drums, 3 singers, 2 guitars, saxophone and keys I just had to come to the realisation that I needed more umph.

The kit was perfect in my previous covers band.

Anyone interested, the kit is in the amps and cabs for sale section ;)

• 3 years later...

Yeah hmmm.... the jury is out on this at the moment. I took it out with me on a gig on Thursday night as I'm in the house band for a weekly jam session so it would have a variety of music to deal with. I used it with a Mesa 2x10 powerhouse cab and I have to say whilst it sounded clean and hifi there was no WOW factor.

Edited by jazzyvee