Why become a member? ×

The xilddx ZULU BASS - Now Finished

xilddx

Blimey, I won this Squier VM Jaguar HB at the Bass Bash! Totes f***ing amazerballs. Throwoff and Paul Geary and Dave Swift presented it to me. Here's a picture ..

Or two ..

Thanks Fran and Silvia :)

Now, it's got a big ol sound because it's 3-band active and has a mini Stingray sort of humbucker pickup. It's an amazing bass for its level, excellent fret job and very smooth, lovely finish on the nicely figured rosewood. However, I'm not enamoured of the pale satin neck, I like glossy old style necks with a vintage tint. The neck is lovely and shallow though, not unlike my 1983 USA Jazz and not far off a Geddy Lee sig.

The sound is big, and I've had a thought that I'd like to make it my ZULU BASS, for playing them big dubby Africa-Electro lines with London Zulu.

I have ordered a new neck, a black and gold Wilkinson bridge, some Hipshot black lollipop tuners (they look totally wickid in black; childish in chrome; positively paedo in gold - probably why I can't find any :D), I will get off-white Strat knobs, spray the pup cover off white, and get this sh*t - I am going to get a pickguard made in brushed gold with black detail that morphs from the Jag PG at the neck end into the Lion of Judah eating the pickup. I'll have to draw it and send it to Uncle Horrid, hopefully he can cut the shape.

Can't wait to get this done for a London Zulu gig at the end of November :)

The neck ..

The tuners ..

The bridge ..

The BASS LION

Edited by xilddx

The neck is pretty good actually. Canadian maple and nicely figured rosewood. A couple of very minor finishing issues, but generally it's very good, the gloss finish is very smooth, but it's the colour of an Essex perma-tan, it really is mmmentally orange, but I'd planned to refinish the headstock facing in black anyway, and on the neck itself it looks cool. The inlays look great, the fret work and binding is very decent, although any fretscale issues will only come out once it's been drilled and fitted and strung, let us pray. However, the truss rod seems to work, AND it is a perfect fit, hoobloodyrah!

The profile is 38mm nut, and a very shallow neck, much like my 83 Jazz and the original Squier neck, it's perfect for me, my favourite neck profile.

I'm very happy, and I think £75 + £7 postage is very good value.

Link to their ebay listings [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AGC-Customs-Ltd/Bass-Necks-/_i.html?_fsub=581879619"]http://stores.ebay.c..._fsub=581879619[/url]

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1380142302' post='2221551']
Subscribed. What you doing the the 'ridginal neck?
[/quote]
I'm keeping everything until I know I have a bass worthy of Doreen's music and memory, then I'll sell the neck and tuners to cover some of the cost. Feel a bit weird doing that, as if it's not in the spirit of the Bash raffle prize and the kindness of Throwoff and Fender UK, but the bass is still essentially a tricked up Squier Jag, that's what people will be hearing, so I don't feel too bad mate.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1380143361' post='2221576']
I'm keeping everything until I know I have a bass worthy of Doreen's music and memory, then I'll sell the neck and tuners to cover some of the cost. Feel a bit weird doing that, as if it's not in the spirit of the Bash raffle prize and the kindness of Throwoff and Fender UK, but the bass is still essentially a tricked up Squier Jag, that's what people will be hearing, so I don't feel too bad mate.
[/quote]

Well, listen if you get pangs of moral what-not with the left over bits, you are welcome to give them to me in a 'liberal, non-judgmental, community, were all in this together' type way. :yarr:[size=4] [/size] :lol:

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1380143975' post='2221591']
Well, listen if you get pangs of moral what-not with the left over bits, you are welcome to give them to me in a 'liberal, non-judgmental, community, were all in this together' type way. :yarr: :lol:
[/quote]

:D

How about I give you the neck with tuners in return for a contribution to the Bass Bash nominated charity? If you want the neck, that is.

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1380145267' post='2221622']
just as an aside, you look b*gger all like your avatar :/
[/quote]

Yeah I know, that's me dad on his wedding day in 1963, me mum is a water vole.

Here she is, she doesn't like it because she says it looks too posed, but it's my favourite of her ..

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1380145574' post='2221628']
I'm just posting for comic effect, that and me being a right chancer. Flog it to someone who wants it and recover your outlay. But you might want to consider a split with the Bass Bash charadee, then everyone's a winner!
[/quote]
There we are then, that's what I shall do! Cheers man :)