Why become a member? ×

Delay with a momentary switch?

1976fenderhead

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1380529035' post='2226462']
Im not that sure what you mean, but with my timefactor when i press the middle footswitch on most delay types it repeates whatevers being delayed that instance forever at unity volume, whilst its being affected by like the filter on filter-delay mode.
[/quote]

Yeah it repeats that instance but it continues to repeat new stuff over it. I want to press the pedal and play a note, then lift my foot. The trail of that note continues over the new notes in the dry sound.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1380534853' post='2226577']
this is EXACTLY what im after in a delay pedal as well, momentary with trails.
[/quote]

I think it would make it much more useable for bassists... I suppose a possible way to this besides modding the pedal's switch, would be to have the pedal on a loop with momentary switch?

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1380534961' post='2226579']

I think it would make it much more useable for bassists... I suppose a possible way to this besides modding the pedal's switch, would be to have the pedal on a loop with momentary switch?
[/quote]

That would give you repeats only while the momentary switch was held down, so you wouldn't get the trails once you let go. You'd need an active circuit to mix the trails with the dry signal. If there's enough interest in a delay trails looper I'll happily put one together.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1380561445' post='2227119']
Of course, silly me...
[/quote]
An A/B box with a momentary switch and a simple arrangement to recombine the effected and dry signals (after the delay) should do the trick. Are there no loopers that can do this? Might not work too well in practice (depending on exactly what you're playing and any drop outs during switching), but should do the trick. Or am I missing something obvious?

Okay, i think i get what you mean now. What you could do is use a loop pedal with a momantary switch to bypass the delay until you press the switch (wired like a true bypass switch). You could also wire it to split the signal sending half to the delay, add the momentary switch before the delay and then blend the delay with the split signal. This second way will alow for the delay to continue repeating after you let go of the momentary switch. I guess you could mod any delay with a true bypass to do either of these pretty easily (or have the choice between the two with a switch).

Edit: Looks like Musky beat me to basicaly the same post whilst i was typeing slowly.

Edited by elephantgrey

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1380573680' post='2227419']
Man that's all too much work... Would it be possible to mod some delay pedal, like the Flashback for example, to have a momentary switch instead of latch?
[/quote]
Nope, well not with most pedals anyway. The switch is a bypass, so letting go of the switch bypasses the effect resulting in no trails.

It's really not much work at all. Simple A/B box with momentary switch and a two mono jack to single mono jack adaptor is all you need.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1380574016' post='2227431']
Nope, well not with most pedals anyway. The switch is a bypass, so letting go of the switch bypasses the effect resulting in no trails.
[/quote]

But when you set the internal switch on the Flashback to buffered, trails continue after you press off (as I understand). So the internal switch being set that way, could the footswitch not simple be changed to momentary and it would work?

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1380574122' post='2227435']
But when you set the internal switch on the Flashback to buffered, trails continue after you press off (as I understand). So the internal switch being set that way, could the footswitch not simple be changed to momentary and it would work?
[/quote]

then you can just replace the latching switch with a momentary.

Edit, another option, is to get someone like this guy: [url="http://www.brightonion.co.uk/true-bypass-loopers/"](BrightOnion)[/url] to make you a Momentary Looper with a blend.

Edited by elephantgrey

• 3 years later...

Old thread I know, but if the OP is still looking, I believe this is exactly what was asked for.

Forget the racks, loops and mixers.
Here’s the smallest, easiest option (bass stuff starts around 1:40):
[media]http://youtu.be/SWkeGWbpz74[/media]

For sale here – [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Delay-pedal-with-extra-Momentary-Mode-Dub-Reggae-Floyd-Stereo-trails-/182403803767?hash=item2a781d2a77:g:CaEAAOSw4GVYUWg0"]http://www.ebay.co.u...aEAAOSw4GVYUWg0[/url]

Digital Delay pedal professionally modified with a [b]Momentary mode[/b] switch.
With Momentary mode OFF, the footswitch behaves like a stock pedal.
With Momentary mode ON, the footswitch acts in a momentary fashion.
Good for Dub / Reggae type stuff, but can also work well for Ambient / Rock / whatever.

It’s got to be the smallest and most uncomplicated momentary delay I’ve seen.

Edited by berries