Why become a member? ×

Thru-Body stringing vs Bridge only

molan

• 4 weeks later...

I`ve always liked the thru-body stringing, until I read up a bit on Fender Precisions, and realised that the tones that I love from these basses - JJ Burnell, Bruce Foxton, Bruce Thomas, John Deacon - were all played on Precisions that didn`t have thru-body stringing.

Kind-of changed my mind. And now have a `77 Precision, which plays and sounds fantastic, and definately no worse for not having this feature.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a Lakland 55-02 and thankfully you can either string through the body or at the bridge. Great, but because of the 35" scale I struggle to find strings that will fit past the nut on the E and B string if I string through the body. So, I just string up at the bridge in most cases. I prefer string through because you do get a bit more sustain, but it doesn't really change the overall tone or playability in any siginifcant way for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I have thru-stringing on my custom fanned fret P-style bass. Since a G string can whang or twang, I have it perpendicular down through the body right at the back edge of the saddle to get as much down force and therefore as much fundamental as possible. Conversely, an E String needs as much help with overtones as possible, so its angle is as shallow as possible, with the string guide as far back from the saddle as possible, almost as if it were conventionally top strung. The A and D strings are proportioned accordingly. This has ever-so-slightly helped with string-to-string tonality on my bass, which has a reissue "bolt-stock" mid-'60's style bridge.

Edited by iiipopes

• 7 months later...

The difference is more in the response for the player. I choose to always string through the body if the option is given. You get more downward pressure over the bridge saddles, especially if you have very low action. You won't get higher tension, that's a myth. It would mean higher pitch, and that isn't the case. I even string my Chromes that way, have NEVER snapped a string. Compare to a surface mounted anchor for a heavy shelf on the wall with a bolt right through the wall, if you know what I mean...

• 1 year later...

Personally, I always string thru body if possible. I feel the difference in my hands more than I hear it, though. Then there is said to be an issue with stringing flats thru body, that the "sharp bend" at the bridge will harm the windings of the strings. I have never encountered that, and considering the original electric bass, the old P-bass, had string thru body bridge and the only strings around were flats, well, there cannot be as much a problem as we may think. I use mostly Lakland basses, and all of them are strung thru body, even those with flats.

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1421452027' post='2661610']
Personally, I always string thru body if possible. I feel the difference in my hands more than I hear it, though. Then there is said to be an issue with stringing flats thru body, that the "sharp bend" at the bridge will harm the windings of the strings. I have never encountered that, and considering the original electric bass, the old P-bass, had string thru body bridge and the only strings around were flats, well, there cannot be as much a problem as we may think. I use mostly Lakland basses, and all of them are strung thru body, even those with flats.
[/quote]
The break angle caused by through body stringing on the original Precision bass was somewhat smaller than it is on some modern basses.

I would agree however that flats through body is not necessarily a problem and many flatwounds cope without issue.

Mind you, I never string through body as I can't detect any difference.

Only La Bella say they have a problem with their flats and through the body stringing.

I've strung basses both ways and I have to say, while I don't discount any players opinions and experiences on this, I've found that any differences are too subtle for me to detect.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1213805445' post='221544']
Only just noticed that my new Lakland JO 4 has a thru-body stringing option. I've never owned a bass with this before!

I realise there will be some different stresses on strings through the body given various angles etc. and that if I experiment and don't like it then I'm left with a set of strings to throw away.

However, I just wondered if in "real world" sense, there was much difference between the two options?
[/quote]
Strings Thru every time. This will maintain your sustain, improve your bass tone generally, Flat wound strings will give you more warmth and string thru will enhance that to. Overall this has been my choise for 30 years. It makes the bass more flexible and it's fun experimenting. I have, and have used all the strings made I think! I was a British string fanatic for years, until I stopped following the crowed and tried flats. Nickel strings are great for metal and also for instrumental solos of certain types. If you have to play. Latin, today, Ska or Reggae tomorrow, Blues and Soul at the week end I couldn't cope. It's all about the bass :sun_bespectacled: The good news is that despite the general rule being the more you pay the better the strings will be. I have found that the most popular guitar manufacturer also brands an excellent flat wound string for every day use and much cheaper than my Pro strings, but I love them! I suggest you give those a try at about 20 quid/$ US more or less. Good Luck!