Why become a member? ×

Coronado Corner

Billy Apple

[size=4]After getting a bug about the new Fender Coronado, my research had told me that they would not be around until mid November. This was hopefully going to fit into my current house move and selling/storing gear in relation to the re-location.[/size]

Any-hoo, Wunjo have already had a couple in, a 3 tone SB bought by Floyd Pepper and a CAR one that I had a shot on the other day. The try-out made my mind up. I wanted the vintage cherry sunburst, but was told November. So thought I'd wait, which all things considered was not such a bad thing..

Until Tom at Wunjo called me up at midday today to tell me the Cherry would be landing at 4pm. He confirmed later, and at 6pm she was mine.

Wunjo did a proper gent of a deal, and I'm very happy.

Still got the tag on, cellophane over the pups and untouched by music shop punters...

Lovely! :D

I've ditched the pick-guard, and I think it looks great :)

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1380747904' post='2230144']
How does it sound? Is it Jazz or Precision like? Or does it sound (as I imagine it might) really quite different?
[/quote]

I've not played many Jazzes, so can't really compare. I think the tone is more bassie than a P, perhaps Gibson-esq but less woody. The low end has a real thump, and there is a richness of tone that belies a semi. I think if you had your eyes closed you'd think it was a long scale solid. I think you get a good mix with the maple and alder which gives a complexity over a single wood body.

I think the pups are quite mellow. I've got a TV Jones Thunderblade in my P and it's very hot, these are much gentler. The circuit does the same thing as my TBird, when let let a bit of volume off one pot it seems to get a bit louder, or less constricted. I've got it full on the neck and 8 on the bridge (same as the Bird) and it opens up nicely. I'm trying to work the tone pots out. There's not a huge sweep on them, and it does not go to mud like a P. It feels more like the grease-bucket circuit in my P, but the specs don't mention anything.

To sum up... Hmm, full, rich and mellow with a goodly amount of bite

OK. Just thought i'd let you know how she's bearing up after a few days playing. I just can't keep my hands off this thing! I've been getting in from work and just sitting playing :)[size=4] . Just so easy in the hand.[/size]

[size=4]But, just for a [/size]balance[size=4], here are some things that could do with [/size]improving[size=4]..[/size]

[size=4]The saddle [/size]height[size=4] is not individually adjustable, very Gibson. The whole string [/size]height[size=4] is done with the screws on either side of the 'adjustomatic' bridge. The neck was a bit back-bowed (bearing in mind it came [/size]straight[size=4] out the box and home), so I took 3/4 of a turn off the truss and it's all come up nicely. No fret-buzz now, and I've not touched the bridge, which I reckon could go down a touch. I suppose it all adds up to good adjustment [/size]possibilities[size=4], but not precision.[/size]

[size=4]The front strap button is located on the body adjacent to the neck. This makes the space to get the strap on quite tight, and you might struggle with a solid wide strap. re-locating the button on the top-front neck bolt might be an idea. It's a pity it is not on the top horn, which would also improve [/size]balance[size=4], but I guess the screw has to go into solid wood, and it's hollow there.[/size]

[size=4]The hardware is good, apart from the knobs, switch & P-guard. Black is the wrong colour, I think they all should have been cream. It's a shame they didn't just leave the P-guard off [/size]altogether[size=4] to save the holes.[/size]

[size=4]That's about it for [/size]criticism[size=4] The pro's far outweigh the cons, it's great fun to play, very good sound (and I've never been a fan of short scales) and the look and finish are excellent. I keep finding bits and going 'wow!', like the figure in the neck which seems to have a bit of flame and burl, and looks ace with the old school gold decals over it.[/size]

[size=4]Forgot to mention, the strings are not for me. Too steely and zingy by far.[/size]

[size=4]So I've decided to pimp her up a little and enjoy the fun of it all. [/size]Firstly[size=4] I've binned the strings and got a set of medium scale 45/105 [/size]La Bella[size=4] Flats. I picked these up in Wunjo today (funny for a shop that only sells one brand of string!) for a price that was so good I almost wanted to give a quid more! I should write up elsewhere just how excellent those guys have been in my purchase. [/size]Believe[size=4] you me, I'm the most [/size]surly [size=4]chap when it comes to music shops, but I think their service is making me really enjoy the bass that little more at home. It's my first ever set of La Bellas, and boy are they worth waiting for and the medium scale fits perfectly[/size]
[size=4]I was going for some cream coloured top-hat knobs and switch tip, but ended up ordering a cream switch tip and some transparent red dice knobs from Allparts. I've got this whole 50's hot-rod thing going on in my head![/size]

[size=4]I've edited the title of the thread too. Please post up your Coronado p[/size][size=4]ics and comments as they come in :)[/size]

The La Bellas have taken off the top-edge growl that the rounds had, but now I've got a wonderfully smooth vintage tone. Another thing, up until now I've been playing this through my new (to me) GK MB200. As I said the tone pots do not have much of a sweep. Today I've put it through my Matamp GT200 and you can really hear the change in tone. What's that all about, then?

Managed to get the afternoon to spend setting up properly, and also found Fenders support pages, so I pounced on them..

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/[/url]

I think I must have taken a good whole turn and a bit off the truss, and the way it has relaxed her up has made a huge difference. Measured up the relief and all is good, got the action to 2mm at the 12th, and no buzz anywhere. This is one creamy playing lady! I'm feeling very chuffed with myself. The intonation is spot on, so I'm lucky I've not had to get into that. Got the pups at the right height, and she just keeps getting better.

I can understand why Fender necks get a bad press when they are out the box, but you have to spend a bit of time with them. I'm lucky as I have experience with mechanics and carpentry, plus loads of tools, but this must be frustrating for someone who just wants to play straight away. I also have to say Wunjo offer 2 years worth of unlimited set-ups on new purchases, along with the warranty. So if you weren't inclined to get stuck in you can keep taking it back until its right.

I've got a lovely set up bass, without a tin of beeswax or 'nut cut' in sight ;)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1381078537' post='2234094']
Sir! You are entitled to your opinion. But, you are wrong! Wrong I tells ya!
[/quote]

Oh, no - I'm very sorry, but I am the arbiter of good taste on this forum. Check out my new shoes, for example:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1381078656' post='2234096']
I've got to admit that IMO it does look better with the pick guard on. but having played a guitar with a similar one, from a practical point it has to go.

Fantastic bass BTW. Semi acoustic is the way to go!
[/quote]

It's not just the look why it had to go. The overall quality of the finish is very good, if not excellent, but the pg is flimsy, and does not have the 'weight' of the rest of the guitar. The bracket that attaches it to the body is thin and sharp and kind of bent funny. The bracket locates onto the guard with a bolt that points straight at the body, and probably wont take much pushing to ding into it. So, all things considered, it had to go. If I had to have a pg, I think I'd get a cream 3 ply one and have a beefier bracket made up.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1381080050' post='2234129']
If I had to have a pg, I think I'd get a cream 3 ply one and have a beefier bracket made up.
[/quote]

Get The Bass Doc to make you one. This is a rare situation in which tort would be appropriate. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381128978' post='2234558']
Get The Bass Doc to make you one. This is a rare situation in which tort would be appropriate. :)
[/quote]

Tortoise shell!? Jeez Mark, how come you can exercise such good taste over your own bass, but you're determined to draw a c*ck over mine? :P :lol: