Why become a member? ×

Humidity

I took my Tokai Jazz along to practice, I got setup there, when to play a bit and noticed the action on the g string (oo-err) was too low to play it atall at the first fret, I do play with a low action normally, but obviously not that low! I hadn't played it since last week (Thursday) and it's been in it's case since then just downstairs in the study, is humidity likely to be the problem and if I give it a quick setup it's unlikely to happen again?

Tonight I phoned my house and got someone to drop off my warwick to use instead, that was fine (but has been in its bag for weeks in my room).

Edited by thedontcarebear

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='23268' date='Jun 25 2007, 10:44 PM']I took my Tokai Jazz along to practice, I got setup there, when to play a bit and noticed the action on the g string (oo-err) was too low to play it atall at the first fret, I do play with a low action normally, but obviously not that low! I hadn't played it since last week (Thursday) and it's been in it's case since then just downstairs in the study, is humidity likely to be the problem and if I give it a quick setup it's unlikely to happen again?

Tonight I phoned my house and got someone to drop off my warwick to use instead, that was fine (but has been in its bag for weeks in my room).[/quote]

Gut reaction is it's nothing to do with humidity, as an increase in moisture in the air would make your wood expand and raise the action. Humidity can be a problem with any wooden instrument. Is your study unusually humid, or is it air conditioned? I know it's 'the wettest June ever', so did the bass get wet/damp before you left it in the study. I wouldn't give it a quick setup until we can figure out why the action changed.

Hamster

It didn't get wet, it was just left in it's case all the time from the end of practice til the start of the next one and the study is just normal like the rest of the house, it's at the bottom, so unlike my room (on the third floor) it doesn't get hot as much. I'm not really sure what else it could be, I will set it up again tonight though and check it out, I wanted to change the pickup heights anyway, so this is a good opportunity.

I think it might be something to do with environmental conditions (be it heat or humidity or whatever). I recall a post very similar to this during the same sort of warm, damp conditions last year.

At that time I commented that I hadn't noticed any effect on my guitars but that one of the internal doors in my house must've swollen up as it was sticking in the doorframe a little. Well, guess what - the same door just started sticking again a couple of days ago !

The door is sealed (varnished) and does not get wet but something is making the wood move. I see no reason why the same couldn;t happen to the wood in a bass guitar. Bear in mind that it doesn't take much movement to make a noticeable effect on the action of a guitar.