Why become a member? ×

What's the worst bass you've ever owned or played?

Marc S

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1380821148' post='2231135']
Was it one of these? [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-Kay-short-scale-bass-guitar-/151131905156?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item233029dc84"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item233029dc84[/url]

[/quote]

Yes, that's the one!
My own nightmare has returned :o

As I said, I played one a few months back, and it really was just as awful as my old one...
It's a wonder to me now, that I ever continued playing

I see some memories of those Kay SG type basses and Lindo's coming back from others....
Eughhhhh - I shudder
Indeed, entry level instruments just seem so much better nowadays
I've played some really quite nice basses which are relatively cheap

It seems odd that so many people give such varying accounts of Squier basses (and guitars)
A guitarist pal owns a Japanese built strat, which he reckons is the best guitar he's ever played, by a mile

I own a Squier P bass, which has 2 pickups and a J bass neck
It's an Indonesian built guitar, only a couple of years old and it's really nice.
Sounds great through an amp - really impressed by the sound of it through a BIG pa a year or so back
and it's really playable

I used to own 2 USA Fenders
and they were heavy, with chunky necks and not nearly as playable as my Squier
and didn't sound a patch on it

I played a Squier Chinese built P bass, which actually had sharp edges to the neck,
weighed a ton, was hard work to play even though it had supposedly been set up
and the sound was awful - it picked up every passing taxi radio!

I suppose the varying quality of Squiers depends on batches, and which factory they were made at?
Still, they're all more playable than that dreadful Kay ;)

Marc

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1380878749' post='2231758']
The Indonesian made Squier I have is perfect.
[/quote]

I know, if you took the badge off mine, and a USA model,
I'd have to say, I'd have thought mine was the more expensive instrument :)

...and about a fifth of the cost :o

The worst bass I owned was a Gibson EB0. Sounded like a goose farting in a fog.

The prize for the worst bass I've played is jointly held by a Yamaha BB5500, the strings were so close together it was unplayable and the pickups must have come off a kids toy judging by the one dimensional tone and a Danelectro Longhorn. Where do I start? Just failed on every level.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1380818626' post='2231072']
[attachment=145276:KAY.JPG]

Kay K1. The English language does not contain words with sufficient venom to describe how bad it was.
[/quote]
That was my first bass as well :) think I paid £5 for it secondhand back in 78. Moved onto an Ibanez Blazer after that

There's a different model of Kay bass on ebay at the mo
I remember these being around years back too
Never played one, but the look of similar build quality to the Kay I owned

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kay-EB100-bass-guitar-/290989005946?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43c04bdc7a"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kay-EB100-bass-guitar-/290989005946?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43c04bdc7a[/url]

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1380812187' post='2230945']
The bass I learnt to play on.hondo 2 precision copy. Learning to play on firewood is quite frustrating. .
[/quote]

Me too, at the grand old age of 14 - I didn't know any better. On the bright side it was black/black/maple(ish), which influenced my next purchase, a secondhand '78 US Precision in the same colour scheme. The Precision was 4 or 5 years old when I bought it, and I've still got it :D

A bass i bought in the 90's and it was a Washburn Force 105ABT. The best way i could describe it is indistinct sounding. I didn't know anything about bass guitars at the time and bought it probably because it was the only 5 string in the shop and I'd never seen anyone playing a 5 so thought it was a good idea to learn to play it.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1380892610' post='2232019']
A bass i bought in the 90's and it was a Washburn Force 105ABT. The best way i could describe it is indistinct sounding. I didn't know anything about bass guitars at the time and bought it probably because it was the only 5 string in the shop and I'd never seen anyone playing a 5 so thought it was a good idea to learn to play it.
[/quote]

I thought Washburns were OK?
Mind you, I think I only ever played 2 - very briefly
One of those being an 8 string, which sounded great...
... well, to my ears at the time (long ago)

A friend of mine had an 'Axe' bass that he bought from an advert in Kerrang. I borrowed it for a week in an attempt to set it up. It went back fairly quickly with a "sorry, not much I can do".

Advert is on this page: [url="http://stuartclayton.com/about-stuart/biography/"]http://stuartclayton.com/about-stuart/biography/[/url]

Worst sort of budget trash from the late 1980s. Made Marlin look like a quality brand, and my Westone Concord look like a pre-CBS....

Edited by dougal

Rickenbacker 4001 - poorly made, poorly finished, uncomfortable to play & just incredibly disappointing when it was my dream bass.
I also had had a vintage 4001 with checkerboard binding & horseshoe & toaster pickups which was a f***ing dog too.

Jaydee Supernatural Custom - neck was so unstable I spent more time adjusting it than playing it.

Musicman Stingray 5 - an unbelievably unstable neck & it just exuded an overall feeling of mass produced mediocrity.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1380974500' post='2232979']
Rickenbacker 4001 - poorly made, poorly finished, uncomfortable to play & just incredibly disappointing when it was my dream bass.
I also had had a vintage 4001 with checkerboard binding & horseshoe & toaster pickups which was a f***ing dog too.

Jaydee Supernatural Custom - neck was so unstable I spent more time adjusting it than playing it.

Musicman Stingray 5 - an unbelievably unstable neck & it just exuded an overall feeling of mass produced mediocrity.
[/quote]

Man... you must have high standards! Haha.

;)

Westone Spectrum II - nowhere to rest my thumb, the ply body sound lacked depth and sustain. The only thing going for it was that it was a two pickup bass and black. My next bass was a Jaydee Supernatural MK which was a revelation by comparison.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1380814169' post='2230983']
I played a 5 sting USA Fender, can't remember the model but it was truly awful, i like fenders normally but this was an exception, the B string was the worst I'd come across on any bass.

some sort of set up would have helped.
[/quote]

I'll second that thought.