Why become a member? ×

Martin Barre tour

ead

Has anybody caught any of the shows on this current tour? I was at the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge last night and had a great evening.

Superb set, great band including a really good bass player whose name I just can't remember atm I'm sorry to say, but he learned the whole set in less than a week including some of the more complex Tull stuff (TAAB). The venue was really good too, intimate with a good PA and the added bonus of a selection of real ales.

What's not to like.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1381126554' post='2234541']
Has anybody caught any of the shows on this current tour? I was at the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge last night and had a great evening.

Superb set, great band including a really good bass player whose name I just can't remember atm I'm sorry to say, but he learned the whole set in less than a week including some of the more complex Tull stuff (TAAB). [i]The venue was really good too, intimate with a good PA and the added bonus of a selection of real ales.[/i]

What's not to like.
[/quote]

The Trades Club is one of the great small venues in the country. I don't think I've ever been to a bad gig there and a few classics.

Steve

I saw him last year at the Borderline, and that was a cracking gig (it came within a week or two of Ian Anderson's TAAB show at Hammersmith, for double Tull value)

I missed it this time around due to triple booking that night (Polar Bear and Chrome Hoof being the other two contenders; Polar Bear won, Hoof were playing Saturday night as well so I saw them then). Do you have a setlist for the show?

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1381136761' post='2234652'] According to his website the bass player is Greg Harewood who I'm not familiar with. Probably a jobbing pro session guy? [/quote]

Yes that's the fellow. Nice guy. Looked like a nice Sadowsky Jazz 5er he was wielding, but not close enough (left my specs in the car) to see for certain.

Superb set, great band including a really good bass player whose name I just can't remember atm I'm sorry to say, but he learned the whole set in less than a week including some of the more complex Tull stuff (TAAB). The venue was really good too, intimate with a good PA and the added bonus of a selection of real ales.

What's not to like.
[/quote]

I saw[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] him at a festival this summer (Cropredy) A great set of re-worked/tweaked Tull numbers. Heavy on the blues but some great standards. The bass player had learne[/font]d the set in a few days we were told as Ex Tull bass guy Jonathan Noyce couldn't make it or something.

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1381159837' post='2235158']
I saw[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] him at a festival this summer (Cropredy) A great set of re-worked/tweaked Tull numbers. Heavy on the blues but some great standards. The bass player had learne[/font]d the set in a few days we were told as Ex Tull bass guy Jonathan Noyce couldn't make it or something.
[/quote]

Yeah there was a goodly helping of blues last night, but I really like that so not an issue. Cropredy is something I need to sort my life out and get to next year.

p.s. As a massive prog fan I shall be checking your band out Leen2112 :)

What's not to like.
[/quote]

My mate, Pat O'May is currently playing with him (guitar) and loving it.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1381175160' post='2235483']
What has happened with him and Tull/Anderson? Have they had a falling out? I can`t seem to find an answer anywhere.

The guy is a great guitar player and a nice guy too boot!
[/quote]
Going into detail about this would take a lot of typing! Essentially, Ian is doing his thing and Martin is doing his. It's not impossible that they will work together again, but for the foreseeable future, Tull is on hiatus. Unless of course Ian decides to release his next recording (without Martin) under the Tull banner....

I saw them on Saturday at The Mill in Banbury. I'm always impressed by bands that play for 50 people the same as they would for 50,000, and they did. Pat O'May looked like he'd taken a wrong turn backstage at a Spinal Tap gig, but he was definitely enjoying himself and fitted in musically, if not visually. It's good there's still a few blues-based guitarists around who don't sound like SRV and don't do that silly trick with the volume knob to make it sound like a violin.

I'd never come across Greg Harewood before,but he has great tone. He appeared to be reading on some songs, but it didn't matter. I was struggling to see what was on the headstock of his 5string Jazz, I thought it said Sandberg, but it could easily have been Sadowsky. I'm not good on high end bass recognition. I think he was playing through a Markbass TSA 500 head.

The set was a mixture of blues standards, including an interesting version of Crossroads, one or two of Barre's own and some Tull. I remember Song for Jeffrey, Fat Man, I'll Be Loving You Tonight, New Day Yesterday, Locomotive Breath. Singer was enough like Anderson to be sympathetic, without it becoming a tribute. He also played some good acoustic guitar.

Good night, I'd recommend catching them if you can, and I'd go again.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1381276652' post='2236972']
I saw them on Saturday at The Mill in Banbury. I'm always impressed by bands that play for 50 people the same as they would for 50,000, and they did. Pat O'May looked like he'd taken a wrong turn backstage at a Spinal Tap gig, but he was definitely enjoying himself and fitted in musically, if not visually. It's good there's still a few blues-based guitarists around who don't sound like SRV and don't do that silly trick with the volume knob to make it sound like a violin.

[/quote]

Pat is really from a Celtic heavy rock background but as you say, it works and he fits in musically. Know what you mean by "if not visually" though. I guess to be a real superstar, you need to be taller, thinner and less sweaty :D (he'll punch me if he reads this)

Worth checking out his own stuff too.

Sounds like it was a good gig.

• 10 months later...

Thread resurrection time.

Caught the band in Bolton last night. Really excellent show. Some old blues (Robert Johnston), some old Tull, a few covers including Porcupine Tree's Blackest Eyes and a rocky version of Eleanor Righby. Great evening.

Hi i saw them at Ilminster. The bass player on this tour is Alan Thompson ex-from John Martyn. I thought he played very well as it was only his second gig with Martin. I was talking to him during the break and he said he had signed up for the whole tour, I presume he was at the gig you were at, too?

Edited by Tullfan

[quote name='Tullfan' timestamp='1409992027' post='2545172']
Hi i saw them at Ilminster. The bass player on this tour is Alan Thompson ex-from John Martyn. I thought he played very well as it was only his second gig with Martin. I was talking to him during the break and he said he had signed up for the whole tour, I presume he was at the gig you were at, too?
[/quote]

Yes he was playing in the band. Very good he was too, nice G&L 5-string.

• 2 years later...

Damn, he is not playing anywhere near me. Have seen Tull dozens of times and they are always great value. Changing songs format, doing acoustic versions and generally keeping the audience on there toes. If Martin's band is as good it would be a great gig.

The best Tull tour I saw, about 10- 12 years ago he had a young female violinist playing in the band. Some superb renditions of old songs and bloody hell could she play.

[quote name='Tullfan' timestamp='1409992027' post='2545172']
[/quote]Ilminster! why didn't I know this?

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1381175160' post='2235483']
What has happened with him and Tull/Anderson? Have they had a falling out? I can`t seem to find an answer anywhere.

The guy is a great guitar player and a nice guy too boot!
[/quote]Anderson's said something like 'he wrote it all so he's going to benefit (no pun) financially from it'. If they've fallen out over money it's a real shame. At least Martin clearly has the rights to perform the stuff which is great.

[quote name='skb558' timestamp='1484944775' post='3219997']
Really like Alan Thompson' s playing. Saw him many, many times with John Martyn. Good to see he's still around.
[/quote]
Aye.. we had to eat before going in, so sat on that side of the stage.. hear the bass? Feel it, more like!
Drummer Paul Burgess was on something like his third gig.
Excellent night!