Why become a member? ×

Medium (32") scale electric basses

kristo

I'm beginning to think I need a medium scale electric bass now......

I currently have a Gibson SG faded bass which I really dig (coming from 6 string guitar) and have used for the last 2 years. However, I've recently got a Gold Tone PBB resonator bass for acoustic gigs and that has a 32" scale. I'm finding I prefer the slightly bigger scale of the Gold Tone now, and when I go back to the Gibson it's a little too short. I've tried 34" basses and not really got on with them so 32" seems to be right for me. I've looked at the Tokai version of the SG bass as it's 32", but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for 32" inch scale electric basses?

I play strung with TI Flats in an electric blues trio, but also like to play soul/rock/country rock. Cheers.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1381410011' post='2238652']
My personal faves are the Fender MIJ JB62m. A medium scale jazz with a smaller body too.

IIRC the Epiphone Jack Casady bass is a 32" and that is a cracking bass it's a shame you need to carry it in it's hardcase.
[/quote]

No, the JC is 34" scale. It's difficult but not impossible to find soft cases for them.

I've got a 350, a 550, and a 650. I had another 550 that I had defretted. I foolishly sold it, and would love to have it back. Though I think I'd need a 400 to have the set. They're getting harder to find, and are also pricier these days, but I want to keep mine.

1980s Yamaha Motion B bass is 32" scale and the best medium scale I have ever tried ( Earth, Wind and Fire and also Average White Band bassists used them back then )
I have a white one! -------But you may have a job finding one!

You are welcome to try it if you are ever in the Leeds area!

Will.

I had a red medium scale Yamaha for a while in the 80's
It looked like a BB. I took it back to sound control after the nut had broken. The replacement's nut broke too. Same bass, same song, same bit. Weird !!

Edited by 2pods

I'm quite tempted by these [url="http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-cabronita-precision-bass-maple-fingerboard-black/"]http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-cabronita-precision-bass-maple-fingerboard-black/[/url]

Warwick offers all its German made models in a choice of 30, 32, 34 or 35 inch scale. They also offer their affordable Chinese-made Rockbass Corvette Standard in a 30 and 32 inch version.

There were some very cool Japanese Squier Precisions in the mid-80s with medium scale too, they're very nice basses and can be found at good prices sometimes.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381438539' post='2239249']
I'm hooked on 33.3" scale now - big money option though as I only know of Jens Ritter that makes them!
[/quote]

So does Rickenbacker. All 4000 series basses are 33 1/4 inch.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1381437764' post='2239235']
I'm quite tempted by these [url="http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-cabronita-precision-bass-maple-fingerboard-black/"]http://www.fender.co...gerboard-black/[/url]
[/quote]

....but they're both 34" scale :unsure:

Edited by 2pods

[quote name='LeftyJ' timestamp='1381441925' post='2239337']

So does Rickenbacker. All 4000 series basses are 33 1/4 inch.
[/quote]

Amazing - I've played loads of Ricky's and never noticed they were shorter scale!

I guess the overall ergonomics of a Ricky are so different to anything else that I've simply not spotted a different scale length.

There's a V63 for sale at the shop I help at. Definitely going to try it in a new light when I'm back in next week :)

Mind you, I can never play them without reaching for a pick, lol.

Warmoth sell [url="http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Bass=1&Type=102&Path=JSeries&Body=2"]short and medium scale bodies[/url] as well as necks. There are several body shapes to choose from and you can have the pickups routed in different configs as well.

Like 2X18, I have a Yammy Motion bass which is 32" (trans black). It plays great and sounds great too. You get the shorter reach but with out losing the note definition which happens on some short scale basses.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1381446246' post='2239410']
I googled it to prove you wrong and you are indeed quite right. :blush: Just so long as someone knows what they are talking about.... now as you all were
[/quote]

I must have been having a rare good day :lol:

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1381451500' post='2239453']
Not something I'd ever have noticed, except I bought a VIIS by mistake. It was one of those "There's something wrong with this bass" moments. The VIS had a conventional split pickup. The VIIS was the P/J version.
[/quote]

Ah, so it was two of the red VIS I had destroyed. It's a pity 'cos I liked them.

They were the only two Sound Control had, so they tried to "repair" the nut on the second one. It had a jazz type nut on it, but came back to me with a cut down classical guitar nut ! I swopped it for a Korg expander.