Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie worth the premium price tag ?

Stealth

Just got a secondhand M-Pulse 600 head to go with my two 2x10 cabs .cost for the whole rig....................£1350 ! ! ! !! !!
Cant wait for my next gig ( 23rd Jan ) to use the whole rig in a live situation .
OK in a shop - but cant beat live !
Here is hoping my GAS is over

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1452284874' post='2948602']
Mesa gear IS expensive but very well designed and built to last. And you only have to pay once.

My Walkabout is very solidly built using quality components, is well designed and should outlast me. :)

Frank.
[/quote]

I agree with everything you've said.

I have a Walkabout through a Vanderkley 112 - really warm, rounded tones and I have the confidence that they'll do virtually everything I need them to. The Walkabout isn't so heavy that you break your back every time you [i]think[/i] about having to move it. I get compliments from friends who own Markbass all the time.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1452092873' post='2946311']
One of the daftest things I ever did - back in the days before kids when I had a few quid rattling around my pockets - was buy a brand-new MESA M-Pulse 600.[/quote]

I was feeling rather 'saucy' once and did a similar thing, i bought an M9 Carbine when they were first released, horribly expensive, it blew up!!

So did the replacement.

So did the replacements replacement.

I did hear that it was a known fault and the amps were recalled for a fix, after a while, but it did put me off of them for a bit.

A really great sounding amp though and this new micro offering does interest me.

I've never owned anything Mesa so can't comment on whether they're worth it or not but have you seen the handles they're using on the new lightweight 1x12 cabs? Makes other popular 1x12's look a bit silly if you ask me - whether it's enough to justify any of the extra cost I don't know but it sure makes me wish the few other manufacturers had gone down a similar route!

• 7 months later...

Seven years and counting for me and the Walkabout. No issues whatsoever and it has been the best piece of gear I have ever bought. My only complaint is that the 1x15 combo could really do with some side handles. The shape and uneven distribution of weight can make it a pain carrying it one handed for more than a few hundred yards.

They are very expensive but, in my opinion very well built and sound great. Not sure if Mesa would be considered value for money however.
The distributor prices have increased by 20% in the last couple of months too, probably blaming the weak pound but I'm also perplexed why the US prices are so much cheaper than UK, even given exchange rates. I could almost have got a cheap flight to the US and "smuggled" my Subway amp back for the extra it cost me.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1474625918' post='3139314']
They are very expensive but, in my opinion very well built and sound great. Not sure if Mesa would be considered value for money however.
The distributor prices have increased by 20% in the last couple of months too, probably blaming the weak pound but I'm also perplexed why the US prices are so much cheaper than UK, even given exchange rates. I could almost have got a cheap flight to the US and "smuggled" my Subway amp back for the extra it cost me.
[/quote]

YUp - hard to see how $699 plus sales tax in the US = £830 ish street price for the D800 in the UK.... Should be £100 cheaper at least.. And of course the D800 has a 100-240V power supply..

We've been through this debate many times over the years and you have to understand that there are at least 2 companies trying to make a profit out of it. The Distributor and the Retailer.

Firstly the distributor's operation. On top of the basic shipping, duty, and tax, they also have staff, general overheads and warehousing costs, warranty support, advertisng, exhibitions plus the cost of distribution to products their dealers.

Then you have the Retailers and all their costs who are also making a profit.

This is the same for most countries apart from the United States where the retailers are able to buy directly from the manufacturer. The result is a significant hike in the price over here compared to over here. It's just the way the commercial world works and it won't change any time soon.

Edited by obbm

Fair enough, but my experience from buying US products has always been close to paying the same in GBP as you would in USD. A US Fender Precision is about $1350 from Sweetwater & about £1350 from Guitar Guitar. A Mesa Subway D800 is $699 from Sweetwater & £849 from Bass Direct. Personally, I think someone is making more than their fair share on the Mesa gear coming into the UK.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1474628969' post='3139363']
Fair enough, but my experience from buying US products has always been close to paying the same in GBP as you would in USD. A US Fender Precision is about $1350 from Sweetwater & about £1350 from Guitar Guitar. A Mesa Subway D800 is $699 from Sweetwater & £849 from Bass Direct. Personally, I think someone is making more than their fair share on the Mesa gear coming into the UK.
[/quote]

This... Anything more than a 25-30% uplift for VAT/Duty and handling (at the moment that pretty much equates to £=$) is taking the p*** .. The US also has distributors and retailers...

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1474628969' post='3139363']
[/quote]

I suspect that your last point is closer to the truth however you are not comparing like with like. You have to also consider sales volume. Fender sell far more guitars than Mesa sell bass amps. Guitars are easier to support as in general they don't go wrong so mark-ups can be lower as the inbuilt support costs are lower.. If an amp fails then the cost of fixing it is considerably higher.

BTW I have no connection with any importer, distributor or dealer, I just speak from experience having worked for 40 years in the high-end electronics industry. It's the way it is and no amount of winging will change it. If you want to pay US prices for something then go there and buy it. Bring back Freddie Laker and Skytrain. :)

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1474630177' post='3139377']
I suspect that your last point is closer to the truth however you are not comparing like with like. You have to also consider sales volume. Fender sell far more guitars than Mesa sell bass amps. Guitars are easier to support as in general they don't go wrong so mark-ups can be lower as the inbuilt support costs are lower.. If an amp fails then the cost of fixing it is considerably higher.

BTW I have no connection with any importer, distributor or dealer, I just speak from experience having worked for 40 years in the high-end electronics industry. It's the way it is and no amount of winging will change it. If you want to pay US prices for something then go there and buy it. Bring back Freddie Laker and Skytrain. :)
[/quote]

Quilter amp pricing in the UK and Europe appears to follow the £=$ model ... So if they can do it...

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1474630417' post='3139381']
Quilter amp pricing in the UK and Europe appears to follow the £=$ model ... So if they can do it...
[/quote]

Not a fair comparison as there is no Distributor just one Dealer who probably buys directly from the factory.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1474631102' post='3139399']
I do have a mesa :-) but this does not excuse sticking with a distribution and pricing model that stuffs the UK marketplace..
[/quote]

Dare I say but Musicman are the same. They have a Distributor and Dealers which is why they are a lot more expensive in the UK than the USA.