Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie worth the premium price tag ?

Stealth

Valve or SS ones? Never dealt with the SS stuff, but the valve stuff has a big giant flaw in that you can't adjust the bias without modifying and losing the warranty, and that sucks really badly, and their use of racist stereotyping to try and justify it in the manuals really doesn't help.

[quote]Visualize, if you will, a group of sub-atomic Irishmen milling about and in a repellent, negative state of mind. All are scowling and none wants to have anything to do with the other. Now introduce a strong attraction say, a public bar, and you can easily picture an orderly, if rapid movement of the lot in a single direction. This is what happens when a positively charged element called the anode or plate is introduced into the vacuum.[/quote]

The fiddlier amps are badly designed from a service perspective also. Harder to go wrong on the simpler stuff since its all on PCB for ease of mass production, price doesn't reflect that though.

What about the cabs? Are the powerhouse series worth it? Having never played them, I've been offered a Powerhouse 4x12 for a quite nice deal, but as even at that it's still a massive wodge of cash. Is it worth it? Has anyone ever played one? Are they transparent or heavily coloured cabs?

Any info would be good if anyone has it.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1381588406' post='2241065']
The Mesa sell only at MSRP. They are worth the bucks. Another good option to the Mesa, the [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xcjkEMY.gif[/IMG].
[/quote]

Not in the UK, you can definitely buy Mesa at below RRP if you know where to look.

In fact I think it's against EU regulations to price fix.

Some of the new Mesa cabs are a fair bit cheaper than the older ones as well. They don't have the flash adjustable crossovers and there are some other design differences but it really helps in prices :)

Happy to advise on pricing stuff if anyone wants to PM me :)

I have a guy who does all our repairs and he hates them....
some of that may be because he thinks they may weight a ton... but once inside them, not too many kind words eithert
but I suspect that is because he does think they are easy to work on...

I recall a 400 and 1516 rig that forgave a multitude of sins...and it was a great sound at that time. but I didn't have the load-in.

Today..?? I suspect there are better alternatives.

[size=4][quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1381676760' post='2242138']Looking used is always good though.[/quote][quote name='barkin' timestamp='1381679433' post='2242197']That's me sorted then... :)[/quote][quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1381680399' post='2242211']Ha ha, me too.[/quote][/size]
[size=4]I have a son about your age. It used to be all trees round here. Is that my toast?[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1381681121' post='2242221']
If you've got a son about my age then you are a very old f****r
[/quote]

:D[size=4] Not [i]that [/i]old. I was just practising for the old people's home. Should I be lucky enough to be put into one.[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1381585974' post='2241010']
Looking for nice slightly gritty Rock bass tone are Mesa really that good to cost a wad ?
[/quote]
I've got the hybrid mpulse amp. It's brilliant for the tone you are looking for, way better than any Ampeg I have owned!

Not cheap these days thru...

The 400's are terrific amps (as has been said) and I have a Walkabout that is very much (again, as someone else said) a modern day B15 Portaflex. You would expect that I would be a big fan and think they are easily worth the hassle of the weight and the price.

I would caution that you need to live with it and take the time and effort to get to know it before you get the most out of it. It probably took me 6 months to really understand how everything works and I recall being a bit disappointed until I figured it out, but from then on - tone heaven.

I've had an MPulse and a Walkabout, both very nice, good rock tones, too. Neither of them beat the Streamliner for me (IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc) but they get plenty of love around here, and rightly so. They'd be my second choice amp (and first choice'big amp'), tho I wouldn't pay new prices for either; they can occasionally be had around the £400-500 mark secondhand, and you'll always be able to shift one on if it isn't to your taste.

I have a mesa walkabout and 3 mesa powerhouse cabs 2x10, 4x10 and 1x15 that in use in various combinations as needed. Mostly its the walkabout and the 4x10.
I play reggae and jazz-funk so and prefer clean only sound so and I can't fault the mesa gear it sounds great for me. It stays clean for as loud as I need the cabs to be. It is the only bass rig I've ever had so I could be seen to have a bias.
I bought the amp, 2x10 and 1x15 together although had to wait for about 3 months for the 1x15 to arrive as apparently there were sold out when I ordered mine.
I got a good discount below MRRP price and was happy with that. I got an absolute steal on the 4x10 via ebay for just under £400 and the seller bought it new 6 weeks earlier but preferred the Diesel cabs.