Why become a member? ×

Clarinets

fretmeister

My daughter plays clarinet and at the moment she is using a school loan / cheap rent instrument.

It appears to be made up of parts of a variety of different makes, but amazingly it plays in tune and sounds ok.

She's been working hard and the school loan instrument time comes to an end shortly which means either we have to rent one at a commercial rate or buy one.

If we buy one, does anyone have any ideas about good beginner models and their prices?

Yamaha are an obvious choice and seem to be about £300, or about £150 used, but are there other makes worth looking at?

I'm completely in the dark here!

I don't even know what strings to put on it! :D

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1381845876' post='2244466']
Buffet B12 clarinets are great for metal ;)
[/quote]

I have a Buffet B12! My teacher recommended a mouthpiece upgrade (to a Vandoren) and it was OK except for one thing... when I tried to play in an ensemble, it was naturally sharp. To get it in tune I had to pull the barrel out a little, which led to some nasty squawks :-( So I'd say the Buffet is a great entry-level instrument but check the tuning!

Had I taken it further, Yamaha would probably have been my next port of call.

Before I became part time at school, I started learning clarinet. After a couple of weeks, my mum said 'take thatf@@ing thing back'!!
Well, I am the youngest of 6 kids , so that's an excuse I guess. She got me a guitar , and eventually got swapped for a bass., so I guess I've forgiven her ;)
Hope you get a good deal ;)

My daughter has just given up the clarinet after 3 years so I have a decent quality starter/intermediate instrument with upgraded mouthpiece etc sitting around doing nothing.

It's a Boosey & Hawkes. Would consider selling if you're interested PM me.

Speaking as a Clarinetist/Saxophonist (please don't tell anyone!) I don't think you can go wrong with either a Yamaha (my preference), B&H or Buffet to start with. In fact, Yamahas are used by some of the very best pro players out there.

Kids can be funny about secondhand instruments, but if you can I'd try to get a wooden Clarinet. The sound is a lot warmer and fuller and it would be an instrument that you can grow with.

Beginner instruments are exactly that; beginner instruments. When you develop your embrochure and own sound, you really need to move to a better quality instrument. That said, the Yammy's are very good quality.

As mentioned above, it's important to get the right mouthpiece too as it will make a world of difference. Beginners mouthpieces have a large bore which is easier to blow and play louder, but they do sound very honky after a while! :)

If I can help any more, please don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

As well as playing bass I play the flute and have done ever since I was in high school. Yamaha, Buffet, and Boosey and Hawkes are by far the most popular clarinets that I've encountered. I'd personally go with Yamaha---it will be a decent instrument and will hold its resale value fairly well should she/you decide to upgrade her to something else.

My experience as a learner was that woodwind shops would be quite flexible about things. You may find that the shop will let you rent one for a few months, but then deduct the rental price from the cost of buying an instrument from them. If you ask really nicely they could probably rent you a yamaha for a few weeks, then a Buffet, then a B&H, just pay one rental fee and then buy a new version of the one you like. Once you get onto really expensive wind instruments they are all sold on approval anyway!

Also, bear in mind that with woodwind instruments you can quite often turn an OK instrument into a great one by upgrading the mouthpiece. I suppose its the wind equivalent of putting a good preamp in a cheap bass.

The proper posh ones are made from leather although the one I had was made from a nylon type stuff. I think because they only have one adjuster and the material is soft that they hold the reed in a more uniform manor. My experience was that it reduced the hard (probably my bad technique) and brittle sound in the upper registers. Made it less prone to squeaking too..

• 2 weeks later...