Why become a member? ×

Wooden End Pins

benbastin

• 2 weeks later...

I tried my new Sapele pin from Ben at an orchestra rehearsal yesterday. Before trying it I was very dubious that a relatively minor part of the bass would make much difference to the overall sound but it has certainly changed the tone - even my wife noticed the difference. My fellow bassist commented on an increase in volume but he was too concerned with the intricacy of Tchaikovsky 5 to say much else.

Quantifying the difference compared to my metal pin is more difficult, especially while I am playing the bass and I need to hear the far field sound rather than what I can hear next to my ear. I think I will have to bribe another player to come round to the house with promises of beers and listen to them play on it to get a true picture of what is going on. So, at the moment the jury is out on whether I prefer wood or metal.

However, Ben's service was good and the pin was made and sent in double quick time.

[quote name='benbastin' timestamp='1391600898' post='2358961']

New particularly pretty pin made for Mr TPJ.

Thought people might like to see.
[/quote]

It is lovely indeed. Too bad the rest of my bass looks a wreck :)

I'll be digging out my Jr Hacksaw the next few days to remove the old metal endpin and I'll compare the two during a long rehearsal this weekend.

Now that a while has passed since I got my walnut pin from Ben, I can honestly say it has made a great difference to me. Going in the studio tomorrow so the sound will be there for posterity. However, for me, the most tangible difference has been in physical terms. The pull-out endpin always felt a bit of a foreign object to me as well as a pain in the bum to get the lenght exactly right. The wooden end pin feels like part of the bass and is always at the right lenght, so that's brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased a walnut version from Ben and these end pins definitely add something to the sound. I did some tests with a few different people listening and they all mentioned a change in the tone for the better, that the tone was "bigger". I'd say if you're looking to add that extra bit to your sound, these are definitely worth a look.

got my oak endpin fitted, I think it must be the short one in the photo above.
Solid as a rock on my Kay, no more rattling noises on stage. Soundwise theres a very subtle increase in slapping sound , and theres a big bonus of less stage noise( bass drum) being picked up. Im sure if the end pin was longer there would be a more pronounced difference in sound, but then Ben would have to make me a box to stand on.
A job well done, thanks Ben.

[quote name='blinddrew' timestamp='1393185241' post='2377148']
Hmm, I'm very tempted by this - thing is I have a cheapo gear4music bass and I am wondering if I'll really get anything out of it? Anyone else tried one on a really bottom-end bass?
[/quote]

My bass is a cheaply and the end pin made a noticible difference.

Edited by TPJ