Why become a member? ×

Wooden End Pins

benbastin

I am sure that these pins will make a difference to any bass. As it's a simple matter of getting more overall vibration. But it won't change your bass into something else. Just enhance what it already has. And the stability benefits it can add especially for cheaper instruments that may now be so sturdy

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to having a play with the new pin in today (damaged my shoulder recently so the bass has been on the back seat). Clear improvement in resonance in the mid-range but my practice room is so echoey... echoy? echo-ey? ...has lots of echo so it can be hard to tell.
Proof of the pudding will be in the pub tomorrow night.
Thanks Ben, great service :¬)

• 2 months later...

I got my endpin from Ben about a week ago and fitted it earlier this week. I played it at home and was perfectly happy with the product. I have to say, my reason for buying it was not sound related but I had a problem with my existing endpin slipping as I gigged and wanted an endpin arrangement that prevented this.

I debuted the endpin last night in a Quartet setting with guitarist Jim Mullen and have to say that the increased stability and security I got from the new pin was very welcome, particularly as I leaned across the bass in thumb position. More to the point, the pianist, whose opinion I value, said that the sound was better, that it had more attack and more 'wood' in it (something I aspire to). The bass sounded particularly good on the Latin numbers we did (the attack would have helped that) and some of the grooves were exquisite. I have always believed that a significant element of the groove is in the [b]sound[/b] of the bass not just in note placement and this seems to have been borne out last night.

In short, another satisfied customer.

Something is getting mashed, that's for sure!!

Just another point I wanted to add. The end-pin arrangement Ben's pin's involves means that every time you use the pin, the bass is at EXACTLY the same height that it was teh last time (I always found the old system worked on a kind of 'in the ball park' basis. I am finding the absolute stability of the set up is a major boon in helping me regulate my intonation.

Matt Wates this week!

[quote name='benbastin' timestamp='1402407490' post='2473113']
Glad everyone is pleased :) Got a couple new ones going out this week.
And working on a special edition one for a bit of fun!

Watch this space.
[/quote]

Oooh, themed end pins.

I'd like to see novelty end-pin rubber, like a chicken foot, or a shoe or something :)

Never having taken apart an endpin assembly, what holds your endpin in place Ben? If you lift the bass rockabilly style (not that I ever do!) would it stay affixed? And what do you need to do to instal and remove after a gig? Sorry for dumbo questions!

The end pin his held in by the original end pin unit's screw. Same as the normal end pin pretty much. Does that make sense?

Incase anyone is interested here is some of the first shots of one of my end pins on TV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS9HrnkBToU

I sawed the end off the old one and insert the new one in the space made available. It is held in with the endpin screw on the existing assembly. Simple. The end of the old endpin is still in there as I have not pushed it through and have not had to fish it out through the f-holes. It makes no noise and does no harm so there is nothing to worry about.

Thank you Ben and Bilbo. I will need to get measuring.

The endpin on my Kolstein travel bass is a real PITA (rattles away if i don't keep tightening the rubber encapsulated metal end-thingummy [technical term]) so a wooden endpin would probably work really well on this. Its quite a bass-y/boomy lttle instrument and I only do pizz - which one of the woods on offer would best suit this Ben?

Phew lots of questions.

Clarky I got your email and will reply now.

Hector, the special edition with be an edition of one at this point. If your interested contact me through my website.

mtroun the wood choice is indeed a complicated one, if you want to email me I can try to guide you through it. Also there is a basschatter's special of two endpins for £70 plus postage.

Thanks for the interest guys.

I have had one of Ben's end pins for about 4 months. While I don't use it for rehearsals, as it is just something else to carry, I always use it for our orchestral concerts where the extra volume and tone I get really helps (I am the only bass at the moment).

So, thumbs up for a modest investment to give a big improvement in sound.

I like the previous poster's idea of a foot or perhaps a big claw at the bottom of the pin!

Simon

[quote name='benbastin' timestamp='1402598094' post='2475223']
Another endpin in action shot.

[url="http://youtu.be/gAM7FeqYSS4?t=4m55s"]http://youtu.be/gAM7FeqYSS4?t=4m55s[/url]
[/quote]
The bassist in that clip is occasional BCer Emlyn whose 1880s DB I bought a couple of years back. FYI, Ben, you asked for photos of the very bass and I have sent you a PM with links