Why become a member? ×

Wooden End Pins

benbastin

I just received my endpin from Ben. It's great, and as Bilbo says, having one that's just right with no risk of slippage is fantastic. It's also good to have an endpin that's finally the correct height.

On a final note, Ben was great to deal with, really helpful and responsive. Highly recommended!

I received my end pin about a week after ordering it, which is quick for a bespoke item.

I play a hybrid bass, and only pizz, and I ordered an oak end pin. To my ears, there is an improved clarity in the attack... the start of each note has more definition.

When (if!) I have some time, I would like to record myself as an A/B test, to hear from 'out front' what the difference to tone/sound is.

As others have mentioned, it is a nice side benefit to have a fixed-length end pin instead of the usual adjustable one.

I'm happy that I bought this end pin from Ben.

I have had the same experience. My old 3/4 bass has more attack and seems slightly louder, based on a quick A/B with the old metal endpin.

Can't say I notice any meaningful difference with my downsized Kolstein bass but with a much-reduced volume of air being moved I guess thats probably to be expected - solves the problem with this particular bass of the rattling endpin though!

Another happy customer!

I've got a walnut end pin. I used it with the Martin last week and I think it made an improvement. Anyway it certainly sounded great with a lot of attack. I'm out with the Bryant tonight (Cricketers at Horsell)so I'll have another chance to compare and contrast. I travel with the steel pin in position so that the rubber end protects the socket. Then I swap over at the gig. Trouble is at the end I swap the pins back again. I just know I'll leave one or the other behind one of these days.

So the angled wooden end pin is born.

This is the prototype. The final version will have a different style metal collar. But essentially this idea.

Looking to get input on interest in these. Pricing available soon, will be slightly more than the standard version. But not too much I hope.

http://benbastin.co.uk/blog

[attachment=166014:IMG_5158.jpg]

I'd probably be interested in an angled endpin. Always wanted to try one.

Whats the deal with the height with an angled pin? Players like Renaud garcia fons and rabbath seem to have their bass's very high while playing standing which i suppose suits the solo stuff they play. I play with the nut a bit above my eyebrows, below my hairline. Would the endpin need to be a tad higher then with an angled one?

From what i've seen the bass needs to be further away from you so you the bass is getting closer to horizontal then it's natural vertical position. This helps the natural bow weight from your arm.

From different players with angled pins it seems then the nut can be anywhere from inline with your eyebrows as it rests behind your head to above and below again.

Just wondering how you work out the natural height going from a straight to an angled endpin?

At the moment based on a few drawings and chatting with various people. The pin will need to be in the region of 4-6cms longer than the original setup. I think that if you already angle your bass slightly it will be the lower end of this. If you play fairly upright it will be the higher end of this.
Its going to take some experimentation. I'll be offering a discount for the first 5 bent end pins from basschat to help with the R and D.

Bassace. I'm thinking that this will be the most effective way of determining the height for a pin like this. I've been looking for a way of extrapolating it based on the current length. But this seems to be more complicated and will give varying results.

Could you mock one up using the metal holder and just a dowel as the endpin? You could post the holder with several lengths of dowel that swap in and out to the customer/trial person to find the correct length.

I imagine after two or three people do this, you will be able to tell the bent length in relation to a normal end pin?

Edited by TPJ

TPJ I've been thinking of ways to make an adjustable pin however the big issue is peoples varying endpin thickness. To date i've made pins for 6 different thicknesses.

I would suggest for now, using some books, to raise the bass until the desired height is achieved is going to be a good way to go.

I will add this to the affiliates section of basschat. But the prices for the angled end pins will be £50 plus postage.

But the first 5 orders from basschat will be £40 plus postage. And anyone that orders an angled pin and a "normal" end pin will get free postage.

All the best

Ben