Why become a member? ×

Wooden End Pins

benbastin

I've been using one for over 6 months now and I love it. It adds volume to my bass and rounds everything.

I am thinking about making some to sell and was wondering if anyone would be interested. They will be custom length of course, and possibly in a choice of woods. Definitely walnut but perhaps some other choices too.
They will be standard fit to 10mm end pin units, but I could do 8mm and bigger if people need.

If anyone is interested please send me a message. I'm trying to tot up materials and things, but will be able to let any interested parties know soon.

Thanks

Ben

What i'm proposing is a little bigger than a drum stick so as to be strong as possible.
With a steel rod out of the top of it 10mm in diameter to go into the bass. The top of the wooden pin would have a metal collar to prevent the wood spliting and the a rubber foot to stop it all slipping.

Would people be interested in different woods then? I'm thinking walnut oak and ash would be pretty good contenders. Perhaps Sapele too.

Check out the late great Dennis Irwin, legendary NYC jazz player. He had a wooden endpin on his old Amefican Standard ply: that's what I'd go for. You can check out a video on his bass on YouTube, there are a few seconds on his endpin. Sorry cant find you the link just now. Great idea though

Yeah similar to that. That is from the german company that makes them. As far as I can tell no one is making them in the UK, and no one is making them with a choice of woods either.
So hopefully there will be some interest. Start production next week. Any one interested please PM me

Thanks

It'd be nice to see a photo or video once they are ready. I'd give it a go at least to try it out. you could even have a couple going around for the basschatters to try like Daf does with innovation strings and Ehrlund p'ups. All the best to you, I love an entrepreneurial spirit me.

I will have more info next week. Finalised price etc. I am going to offer a few wood choices, and will endeavour to record the differences on my bass between the metal pin and wood.
I don't know what the wolf ball is. Could you link me?
At the moment the last piece of the puzzle for me is sourcing a good rubber stop for the end. I am planning to include two with each pin, as they always wear out eventually and thats always frustrating.

Cool idea about sending one around for trials, however this will not be an adjustable pin, so many people would not be able to give it a full trial. But we'll see if theres a length a lot of people would be happy with we can try it out.

I've tried a carbon fibre one on my bass, and it did help somewhat, but i've found wood to be even better.

More info next week. Thanks for the interest.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1382225573' post='2249586']
These are great on a spike but i think the walking stick ferrule might be best for a thicker wooden end pin
[/quote]

Probably right there - I had one on my Clifton for at least ten years before it wore out. Now it has one of the rubber balls fitted onto the metal spike.

• 2 weeks later...

[list]
[*][attachment=147372:photo 1.JPG][attachment=147373:photo 2.JPG]

[size=3]So I am now in full production!
End pins are available to order.
They are going to be £40 plus postage, which should be just a couple of quid.
I am offering 4 different wood choices,
Walnut, Ash, Sapele and Oak.
I will be making some sound samples of the different pins at some point to show the differences, the woods are all similarly hard and dense so the differences will not be too drastic. All the woods can be stained as dark as people would like.
I have attached two pictures of the two rubber ferrules I will be including in the first few orders. I believe I will end up supplying only the more heavy duty of the two but I want to see how they get on in the real work.
If any one is interested, please drop me an email at [email protected] or 07845192855
Please pass this on to anyone else who may be interested.
Thanks
Ben[/size]
[/list]

Timbo, I will have all four wood choices tested out by next week. I'm fairly sure they will all pan out to be similar and the different woods will be an aesthetic choice mainly.

I believe these can help any bass. Its all about allowing as much of the bass to vibrate as possible. Such as removing a bow quiver from the tail piece will improve your tone, as will a wooden end pin.

I will post photos and opinions of all the wood choices as and when.

Thanks

• 2 months later...